Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2016 10:42:50 AM EDT
Just looking for some feedback from anyone that may have one. GF and I were looking at them in the LGS and she like the size for CC. We'll probably rent one this weekend, but welcome any comments. Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#1]
i originally bought the P238 several years ago before the 938 was available and fell in love with it.    I went with this "pocket" pistol for several reasons.     It is really one of very few (if any) with a single action trigger.   I dont really like the double action pull.     There were several aspects of the gun that made it the right decision.    Fast forward a year or so and the 938 comes out so I HAD to have it.   this made the 238 the Girlfriends CC weapon, and the 938 is one of the main ones in my rotation.

Fit and finish are great IMO.   They have come out with alot more color or finish options these days.   I went to a gun show this weekend also and was noticing all the colors...
the gun fit's in your hand so nicely.    The sights are WAY better than most guns of this size, although you'll have to get aquainted with Point of aim vs. Point of Impact.     Peppy little guns.

IMHO, this is the best CC 9mm.     Kimber is making some BEAUTIFUL small handguns these days too, but I dont think I'll ever have a budget that will allow me to own a Kimber.

For IWB i use the N82 professional holster.   I hate IWB, but this one does it well.   I have a OWB holster with a clip on, made for the 938 I prefer to wear if Im not too concerned about printing

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Just looking for some feedback from anyone that may have one. GF and I were looking at them in the LGS and she like the size for CC. We'll probably rent one this weekend, but welcome any comments. Thank you.
View Quote
Wife decided she wanted her first gun about 8 months ago. She finger fucked EVERY handgun in multiple stores. Hated all of them.

Walk into my personal favorite LGS durring a tax free weekend and happend on a p238. FELL IN LOVE! she spent two hours finger fucking every one of them in the case and drove the poor counter guy insane (another reason why I shop there and pay slightly more than I "should". These guys are awesome) and ended up with a used p238hd. That she loves shooting. We got home and I broke it apart and and re lubed it and cleaned it (no trust issues I do that with every gun I purchase). And I fell in love with the thing. So we went back the next day. I was origionally looking for a replacement for my LCP, and ran into a used p938 that was new but being sold as used due to a clarical issue.

Best purchase ever in the 9mm ccw department IMHO. The dam thing is a tac driver and fits perfectly in hand. Weight is perfect, trigger is good. And mine came with factory night sites. Have your wife shoot one for sure. The grip can be slightly awkward for smaller hands. Recoil is almost nothing compared to other sub comp 9mm I have shot. Although the p238hd feels like shooting a .22.

Have her shoot both of you can.

Pic of mine:

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome, thank you for the replies. Yeah the GF was drooling over all the different models of the 938 - Equinox, Extreme, Engraved, etc.

SIG does have a habit of making a lot of variations of a model. Our LGS has those new SIG provided display cases, which actually allow you to look over all the models easily. Definitely going to rent one this weekend.

We had rented the 238 several months ago, but she didn't like it. She does very well with the 226, but I warned her these smaller guns are not something for a 200 round range session like the 226.

I'll show her your replies when she gets homes. Thanks again for the feedback.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife has one and loves it.  Heck I love it.  If I didn't have  P228, I'd probably carry a 938
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Be sure to buy as many 7 round mags as you can...it makes the grip night and day when you're holding onto the grip with that pinky extension...fits my small hands perfectly!
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#6]
938 is a bad ass little gun. Very accurate and recoil is extremely manageable for a small gun. I'm as accurate one hand and even weak hand. Very fun to shoot. As mentioned get the 7 round mag. Easier for most people to shoot with the extended mag. I have the extreme as pictured as well.  Wife loves the 238 but she also can handle the 938.    Something to be aware of. Many 938's have had issues with failure to feed or the hammer would not cock after firing. Sig changed to a better main spring housing (MSH) Sig cs has been excellent in dealing with this and have upgraded the gun to an improved MSH and those issues have been resolved. If I were you I would call sig and ask the date in which the manufactured all the 938'a have the new MSH. I would be sure to purchase one with the new one. With that said their are 1000's that have zero issues but just something to be aware of.   I wouldn't hesitate to get one though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Be sure to buy as many 7 round mags as you can...it makes the grip night and day when you're holding onto the grip with that pinky extension...fits my small hands perfectly!
View Quote
This. My flush mags sit in the safe. One 7rnd in the gun, and a spare in the pocket/magcarrier. The flush mags font shorten the gun up enough to make losing the three finger grip. Also sigs 7rnd mags are some of the best extensions ergonomically o have ever held or used. You will be able to tell the difference
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Awesome, thank you for the replies. Yeah the GF was drooling over all the different models of the 938 - Equinox, Extreme, Engraved, etc.

SIG does have a habit of making a lot of variations of a model. Our LGS has those new SIG provided display cases, which actually allow you to look over all the models easily. Definitely going to rent one this weekend.

We had rented the 238 several months ago, but she didn't like it. She does very well with the 226, but I warned her these smaller guns are not something for a 200 round range session like the 226.

I'll show her your replies when she gets homes. Thanks again for the feedback.
View Quote
Keep us posted and have her shoot both. I am not recoil sensitive, but my wife is. And the 238 is the softest shooting 380 on the market IMHO, especially if you get the HD version. The primary difference in the HD version and all the others in both the 238 and 938 models is the frame is steel not aluminum. Making it heavier, but not so heavy as it is uncomfortable to carry. The little extra weight really helps with recoil.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry a P938 in my pants pocket every day during the summer. Nice pocket carry weapon.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I carry a P938 in my pants pocket every day during the summer. Nice pocket carry weapon.
View Quote

I'm getting more and more curious about the possibility of using a 938 as a pocket carry gun. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of pocket holster do you use? And what kind of pants pockets, dress slacks or what?
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm getting more and more curious about the possibility of using a 938 as a pocket carry gun. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of pocket holster do you use? And what kind of pants pockets, dress slacks or what?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been using a sticky holster (think Desantis Nemesis).  My old work attire was slacks, button down shirts, and so on.  Slacks came from target, but they had deep pockets.  It worked just fine in anything I wore.  6'2, 170lbs.  My new job allows jeans M-F, so I just carry it at the 1 o'clock position.

The 938 will let you know it's there.  It "can" be snappy, but I don't expect to do 200 rounds in a range session and not feel it.  For what it is, it is very accurate and to me, surprisingly so.  I have the flush fit mag and it does just fine, though when the extended mags go on sale again, I'll snag a couple more.  At 15' I had a 2" spread which I wasn't fighting at all.  I'm sure you could do better if you tried.  I was sold on them before I got one, but I'd say try it out, see what you think.  Both the 938 and the 238 are excellent guns.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've been using a sticky holster (think Desantis Nemesis).  My old work attire was slacks, button down shirts, and so on.  Slacks came from target, but they had deep pockets.  It worked just fine in anything I wore.  6'2, 170lbs.  My new job allows jeans M-F, so I just carry it at the 1 o'clock position.

The 938 will let you know it's there.  It "can" be snappy, but I don't expect to do 200 rounds in a range session and not feel it.  For what it is, it is very accurate and to me, surprisingly so.  I have the flush fit mag and it does just fine, though when the extended mags go on sale again, I'll snag a couple more.  At 15' I had a 2" spread which I wasn't fighting at all.  I'm sure you could do better if you tried.  I was sold on them before I got one, but I'd say try it out, see what you think.  Both the 938 and the 238 are excellent guns.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

^pretty much everything he said.

first rounds out of the box gave me all headshots at 7yrd shooting semi rapidly (roughly 1-2 rounds a second). probably the most intuitively pointing subcompact i own.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a P238 Scorpion sometime early last year, and about a month later I bought my wife a P238 Rosewood and some Blackwood grips. Then one of my friends bought a 238 Nitron (I think). I absolutely love the little guns but have had some issues, mainly with my Scorpion. The mags would fall out quite often (of course this started after the other purchases), and then a couple weekends ago the trigger froze on me. The G10 mainspring housing was broken and let the mainspring ride up too high.  I installed an aluminum Hogue mainspring housing to permanently fix that issue and will be doing the same on my wife's. As for the mags, I filed down the nose of the mag catch where it was rubbing and 200 rounds later it seems to have worked.  I planned on doing a short write-up here with some pictures when I get a chance.  

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you to everyone for all the replies. Saturday can't get here fast enough so we can rent one and see how it goes.

Also have a new PSA AR47 I assembled last night, but that's a topic for another thread
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Love mine. Best carry pistol I've owned. Compact, comfortable and reliable.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Thank you to everyone for all the replies. Saturday can't get here fast enough so we can rent one and see how it goes.

Also have a new PSA AR47 I assembled last night, but that's a topic for another thread
View Quote
I just thought of something you may not know.

The 938, does have a wierd quirk, at least mine does. When cycling the slid strips off the top round, but also partially strips the round under it. No malfunction will occur but if you do a partial mag swap. The magazine in the gun does not drop free n most cases.

Looks like this when you remove the mag

I personally do not consider this an issue in the slightest because the weapon still functions flawlessly through hundreds of rounds. The only malfunction my personal 938 had was when my wife shot it for the first Tim and thumbed the slide lock up on recoil. I'm a lefty, and don't have they problem, but it is fairly easy to do shooting right handed on both the 238 and 938. Keep those thumbs down.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Before you buy one check out  SIG talk, I was going to buy one but after reading about some of the issues I decided not to. The  mainspring was the first issue I read about, pistols made after July 2015 are supposed to be GTG. The next issue was with the 2 piece recoil spring guide rod coming unscrewed plus few other items. I wanted this for my EDC but with these kind of issues I would worry.  Most will think I'am bashing SIG and I'am not, they happen to be my favorite pistol. I have a 226 and a M11A1 and they are fantastic.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Before you buy one check out  SIG talk, I was going to buy one but after reading about some of the issues I decided not to. The  mainspring was the first issue I read about, pistols made after July 2015 are supposed to be GTG. The next issue was with the 2 piece recoil spring guide rod coming unscrewed plus few other items. I wanted this for my EDC but with these kind of issues I would worry.  Most will think I'am bashing SIG and I'am not, they happen to be my favorite pistol. I have a 226 and a M11A1 and they are fantastic.
View Quote

See my post above about the mainspring housing, only 500 rounds in of 380 and the G10 let go. Solved with a hogue aluminum housing.

Also love Sigs though, P226, two P238's, bout to swap my 238 for a 938 and add an M11-A1 and 226 SAO Legion.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm using a leather pocket holster that I purchased on eBay. I always wear jeans or jean shorts when I carry in the summer.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I purchased one for my father for his birthday, he seems to love it.
I also got him a custom made elephant hide holster.
http://whitetigerleatherworks.com/

When he's not using that holster he has a DeSantis pocket holster he likes.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/zuykS3U.jpg
View Quote

Very nice, I've always wanted an elephant hide holster

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#22]
About the 730 mark for spring problem

Once you know about the spring I'm pretty sure you won't have the problem.

Picked one up yesterday at the LGS. Shot 50 rounds through it today, great little gun.
I was expecting a bit more recoil due to size and was pleasantly surprised at how little I felt.
Only shot 50 rounds because the snow was a couple inches deep at the range. Froze my hand getting the brass, I had planned to shoot about 150 rounds. Weather will warm up, the range will get muddy but I'll get back out soon enough.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The 938, does have a wierd quirk, at least mine does. When cycling the slid strips off the top round, but also partially strips the round under it. No malfunction will occur but if you do a partial mag swap. The magazine in the gun does not drop free n most cases.

http://i.imgur.com/lEJi1Mkh.jpg
I personally do not consider this an issue in the slightest because the weapon still functions flawlessly through hundreds of rounds. The only malfunction my personal 938 had was when my wife shot it for the first Tim and thumbed the slide lock up on recoil. I'm a lefty, and don't have they problem, but it is fairly easy to do shooting right handed on both the 238 and 938. Keep those thumbs down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/lEJi1Mkh.jpg

Interesting. When we rent one, I'll see if it does that. I don't consider that a deal breaker though.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
Good advice, I will check out SIG talk.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/zuykS3U.jpg

View Quote
That is an awesome looking holster. If she decides she wants the 938, I'll get a nice holster for her.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#26]
They are nice guns. I got my wife a 238 thinking she wouldn't like it and I could keep it, WRONG ! But hey all was good so it gave a reason to get the 938.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#27]
well, its the weekend, your AAR?
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I have carried a P938 for about 3 years now.  I am looking at pocket carrying it.  I have a S&W M&P 340 I carried for the last 7 years and it shows on the finish.  I am considering putting it on the shelf for a little while and using the P938.  I normally carry the P938 in the winter OWB.  I also carry it when heading to training for work in plain clothes.

The P938 fits my hand great for it's size and has proven to be very reliable.  As mentioned above I do find the top round in the magazine can peel out of it when removed.  I also find that sometimes the top round on the loose mag in my pocket will come out.  No major issue as I am aware of it.  Never had a jamb while shooting and probably could put the spare mag in a pouch.  

Excellent choice.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

well, its the weekend, your AAR?
View Quote
We rented the P938 and a M&P Shield for comparison. The P938 won hands downs. While a little smaller than the Shield it seemed more comfortable to shoot. The GF really liked it.

Even though its a range rental, with unknown round count and maintenance, it ran flawlessly using Fiocchi 115 GR FMJ ammunition.

The extended magazine does make a big difference in feel and handling over the flush fit one.

Probably off to the LGS to buy one if she can decide which model she likes the best.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Just bought my P238 replacement, It's an Extreme P938 that's getting blackwood grips.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Just bought my P238 replacement, It's an Extreme P938 that's getting blackwood grips.

View Quote
Very nice. I think she is leaning towards the Engraved or the Equinox.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm going to be evil, but do not show her this web page if you want to keep your money.http://www.highfiguregrips.com/#!sig-p938/c13r3
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm going to be evil, but do not show her this web page if you want to keep your money.http://www.highfiguregrips.com/#!sig-p938/c13r3
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ordering today

Ordered Box Elder Burl

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL too true. They have some really nice grips.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top