Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/22/2006 3:40:09 PM EDT
I realize no gun is made to not be shot, but does anyone think that one of these limited edition guns will either appreciate so much in value that they shouldn't be shot or that by pulling the trigger that they will depreciate so much that I'd be better of just getting a standard SIG P226R or P229R? If I was to decide on an Equinox it would be more than likely be the P229 and seeing how it is only chambered in the .40s&w I was wondering if anyone could give me their input on that round. I own a Walther P99 in 9mm, a S&W 1911PD .45ACP and a HK USP .45ACP. The only .40s&W I've ever fired was 10 rounds through a Glock 23 which and please no one take this the wrong way seemed to be REALLY "snappy" and not much in the accuracy department. Will the P229 with it's heavier frame reduce felt recoil and better deal with the "snappiness" than the Glock? Is the apparent inaccuracy more to do with the gun fired, from the round itself or heaven forbid me being unable to deal with the recoil? I'd love any input on the round and if any SIG P229 .40s&w owners want to chime in with what sort of accuracy they get it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:09:30 PM EDT
Have you seen what used Sigs sell for? They are shooters, not collectibles, the Equinox was conceived to give the owner some 'prettier' options. I think they look cool as all hell, but I wouldn't get hoping it would go up in value. If you want Sigs that will go up in value, buy NIB P225's, and P210's.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:39:06 PM EDT
Roger, Thanks Drew.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:49:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 2:51:08 PM EDT by Gaz]
I have an Equinox. I've had it for 3 months and have put close to 500 rounds through it. It is also my everday carry piece. It shoots too damn nice to just put it in a safe and look at. Matter of fact I already have a few scratches and a small ding on the slide (oh the horror). But I've never owned a gun I've never shot. Guns are tools, and tools need used. But thats just my opinion.

One thing to note about the Equinox, it is a little thick around the grip. If you have small hands, you may find it a bit wide to get a good grip on. Definately pick one up and give it a good feel and once over before you purchase it. I personally didn't have any problem with the thickness, as I broke my hand 2 years ago, and only recovered 70% movement in it. So the larger grip worked out well for me.

As for being snappy, I have no problem putting multiple rapid fire shots on target. Practice practice practice. It'll allow you to overcome any snappyness you may find with any pistol.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:22:15 PM EDT
Gaz, I really appreciate your input. Thanks especially for the heads up on the thickness of the grips as I acutally do have smaller hands and will have to take that into consideration. Do you know if the equinox grips are any thicker than the standard P229 rubber grips, because I've held those and didn't have any fit problems. Thanks also for the info on the .40. Sounds like a nice peice, but I'm going to have to handle one for myself. Unfortunately none of the dealers in the Toledo area where I'm from have any in stock. Looks like I have an excuse to take the 30 minute trip to Cabela's in Dundee, MI. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:30:02 PM EDT
Do NOT buy one at Cabelas, they will rape you on price. www.ordnanceoutsellers.com, or www.rainierarms.com are where to go.

My P229 (non-equinox, non-rail) has both the .40 and .357 barrels, and if anything, I felt the .357 to be a bit snappier than the .40, though most folks say the opposite. I also have a P228 in 9mm, which is a tad lighter weight, and it has just slightly less kick than the P229 in either caliber. The .357 is more accurate, but the .40 is still very very good. I shoot at a circle drawn on a piece of cardboard about the size of a clay pigeon, with a quarter sized bullseye colored in the middle. At 30 ft, with the .357 I can cut the bullseye out. I can't do that with the other two calibers., though I can keep the whole mag in the bigger circle firing 'quickly' (not quite rapid). Don't know if any of that is worth a dime to you, but basically any Sig in .40 will do you right, they are if anything over built, something I'd never claim about a Glock.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:17:46 PM EDT
Thanks for the tip on Cabela's Drew. I just use them to sample what I want, but know better than to actually buy from them. I've actually arranged for a trade of a gun I have now towards the purchase of a SIG(in whatever configuration) with one of the dealers from the EE, but thanks also for the websites and your accuracy assesment. It's very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:26:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bub007:
Gaz, I really appreciate your input. Thanks especially for the heads up on the thickness of the grips as I acutally do have smaller hands and will have to take that into consideration. Do you know if the equinox grips are any thicker than the standard P229 rubber grips, because I've held those and didn't have any fit problems. Thanks also for the info on the .40. Sounds like a nice peice, but I'm going to have to handle one for myself. Unfortunately none of the dealers in the Toledo area where I'm from have any in stock. Looks like I have an excuse to take the 30 minute trip to Cabela's in Dundee, MI. Thanks again.

The sides of the grip feel like the standard width. It's the backstrap where the extra width is. The wooden grips are (without having a standard in front of me to compare) are about double. When I was comparing it to the HSP (homeland security model) The HSP felt too small for me, but not by much. (even though I've decided that I am going to have both, just change the grips)

If you have smaller hands, you should be fine with the standard grip. And if you get a Equinox, you can always go with a different grip. But definately give them both a try. Once you handle them, the gun will tell you which one you should get.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:25:11 PM EDT
Thanks again Gaz, Not to be a bother, but since you mentioned the HSP I was wondering what you though of the DAK trigger? I was giving the HSP some thought too, but didn't know anyone who had had a chance to play with the trigger. If I'm not mistaken the HSP like the Equinox comes in only .40, but unlike the DA/SA of the Equinox comes with only the DAK(6.5lbs?). Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:13:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2006 6:14:55 AM EDT by ARer]

Originally Posted By drew5337:
Have you seen what used Sigs sell for? They are shooters, not collectibles, the Equinox was conceived to give the owner some 'prettier' options. I think they look cool as all hell, but I wouldn't get hoping it would go up in value. If you want Sigs that will go up in value, buy NIB P225's, and P210's.

+1
Buy the Sig you like.. But IMO you will get the most Enjoyment from shooting it!

The 229 in 40 is my favorite "general purpose" gun. Excellent to shoot...
Top Top