Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 9:40:13 AM EDT
If you had to choose between the 228 or 19 which would you choose and why?  I'm leaning towards the 19 because the weapon is easier to work on and the mags are alot cheaper and seem to be more plentiful, but the 228 is a very smooth shooting pistol.  By the way I can only have one due to financial reasons!

Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#1]
i don't know, but you can probably get a nice cpo sig for the same as a glock, or less.

i'd go sig.  someone jumped me, i'd shoot out the street lights with that glock .  the big glocks are fine, but the subcompacts don't fit me AT ALL.  i feel like i'm hanging on for dear life, it's really rotten.  not sure why that is though

sigs, on the other hand, seem to have been made for my hands.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#2]

flip a coin !

which one fits your hand better ?

if cost for the gun & mags is an issue then the G19 makes a lot of sense
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I think that the 19 is the pinnacle of handguns, so I would go that way.  They're both top tier guns-- either would do well.  As is usually suggested, try to shoot or at least mess around with each.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I vote for the G19 although I don't have a Glock, not do I have a P228 , but I do have a P229 and have come close to buying the G19, and have XDs which are kind of close.  I wish I would have gone G19 instead of XD, mainly for the shear relaibilty and simplicity and compactness of the thing.  

The G19 is the standard for this catagory (Compact 9mm).  It's as close to perfect as you can get.  The P229 is good, but (and likely P228) is blocky and I suspect it won't carry as well as the G19.  The DA/SA (two different) trigger pulls on SIGs is less than optimal for shooting although if you're real worried about carrying it may be a plus which is the reason I got the SIG.  I suspect P228s will have some potential corrosion issues due to the Aluminum frame setting up a galvanic cell with the non-stainless (IIRC) slide, while with the G19, you'll have no such issues.   Get the G19 first (I should have), then you'll have a standard by which you can measure all future guns.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#5]
They're both great guns.  My preference is the Sig, and I own both.  The Sig 228 is also my duty weapon and the one I choose to carry off duty as well.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#6]
They're both good but I give the Glock 19 the edge in a number of categories

Slightly smaller in all dimensions.
Slightly longer barrel.
Slightly longer sight radius.
Slightly lighter.
Two more rounds of ammo standard
17 and 33 round mags bountiful.
Cheaper.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They're both good but I give the Glock 19 the edge in a number of categories

Slightly smaller in all dimensions.
Slightly longer barrel.
Slightly longer sight radius.
Slightly lighter.
Two more rounds of ammo standard
17 and 33 round mags bountiful.
Cheaper.

I like Sigs and Glocks about equal, but that's the reason for my vote for the Glock
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The P228 is my favorite Sig and it's an incredible handgun.  I was faced with the same decision a few years ago and I went with the G19 and have no regrets.  It's easier to conceal and take care of, plus I seem to shoot it better (which is the main reason).  The finish is a big plus for me, since I live in Florida and sweat like a pig  You can't beat the price of magazines, either.  Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one of them.  The Glock was the right choice for me, but one day I'd like to pick up a P228
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#10]
What are you using it for?  Is it for the range or CCW?  If CCW then, how sweaty, rough are you?  The sig is a better choice for range.  If CCW, then it depends on how mucky you might get it.  If pretty clean then either is fine.  Can't go wrong w/ either.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#11]
tough choice

probably the glock, if only b/c its got cheaper mags......
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
228 hand down....... If I have to explain why you'd be better off with the grock.

Nice  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#13]
This is a tough decision.  I have a G26 and had a G19.  Both are completely reliable with more than 2k through each.  I had to sell the G19 to fund something else.  I have a good freind who has a 228 and it is just as reliable and accurate as my G19 was.  I'd probably have to give the edge to the G19 since, as stated above, mags are so much cheaper and available.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm trying to decide this myself right now.

G19 & G21 or 228 & 220

Both sets are priced about the same (CPO Sigs).

Everything but the trigger and grip angle go in favor of Glock for me. (Size, Weight, Capacity, Sight Radius, Cost of parts, cost of mags, ease of repair, ...)
BUT
I really like the way the Sigs feel and shoot. (ergonomics)

A Milt Sparks VMII costs the same for all of them though.

If I only made more $ and HK would bring out the HK45, then this could get even more complicated.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I vote for the G19 although I don't have a Glock, not do I have a P228 , but I do have a P229 and have come close to buying the G19, and have XDs which are kind of close.  I wish I would have gone G19 instead of XD, mainly for the shear relaibilty and simplicity and compactness of the thing.  

I've been considering an XD, what don't you like about yours ?

(sorry for the hijack)  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#16]
grip angle on ALL gLocks KABOOM Suck

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I've owned a P228 for years and just recently got a G27 for CCW.  Last week I took them both to the range and I was surprized at how much higher the P228's barrel was.  It seemed a lot easier to get back on target with the G27, even though I was shooting standard pressure 9mm ammo and hot .40.  I never cared for the DA/SA transition and that's one of the main factors that made the Glock my carry choice. I LOVE my Sig but I'm thinking a G23 is my next purchase.
But the answer to your question is "both".
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#18]
228 is a MUCH better gun at the range.  Glock 19 is a MUCH better gun for daily carry, due to the fact that 228's rust like crazy (from my personal experience) and are bulkier than the G19 by a small but noticable margin.  The two extra rounds (while being slightly smaller than the 228) in the G19 helps to qualify it as the better CCW gun, too.

I used to own a G19 but sold it because it had a severe "nose jammed in the feedramp" problem.  I tried everything to fix it, including installing new mag springs and the latest generation mag followers, but the problem just wouldn't go away.  Based on what I've read about other people's experience, this is not typical of G19's and I had a lemon.

I used to own two 228's.  One was stolen when my apartment was burglarized a few years back, and I traded in the other one when I was laid off from work and needed cash.  The 228 is definately more comfortable and shoots nicer than the G19 (IMO).  The only drawback was that the slide (on both of the 228's I've owned) would be covered in rust after a day of carrying.  The rust always wiped right off with an oily rag, but it was a pain in the ass to have to constantly do this.

If you plan on shooting a lot, I suggest the 228 over the G19.  If your primary concern is concealability and maintence-free carry, I suggest the G19 over the 228.

Keep in mind that 228's are harder to find and that Glocks are available for sale on just about every ice cream truck.  If you come across a 228 you might want to consider getting it first, and then save up for a Glock.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I sold the one Sig I used to have.  It was a great gun, but for whatever reason, just didn't do it for me.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yeah, not having to adjust your arm/wrist/hand's natural alignment is a real pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, not having to adjust your arm/wrist/hand's natural alignment is a real pain in the ass.

Its also a painin the ass when that fucker blows up in your hand and you have to get your hand amputated.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I love my Sig 228. But I'm just not a huge fan of Glocks. Glocks are cheaper though and they do work. But I don't think they can compare to a Sig.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Funny, I asked the Pope the same question the other day.  He said he didn't know much about guns, but he's pretty sure God carries a Sig 228.

But seriously, I have a 228.  I love it.  Sure, it can rust if it sits idle and never gets any lovin'.  But then again, you shouldn't be carrying a gun if it is never going to get any range time.  It feels right, it shoots right, and if all else fails, it's solid so I can beat the crap out of someone with it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#24]
No comparison here. I have both so YES I am speaking from experience.  

The glock 19 is slimmer than the sig 228 for starters. If you are going to carry this as a CCW weapon the glock is lighter in weight and smaller with more barrel for the size.

The finish on the Sig228 sucks ass. I carried it under my arm for a day and it was rusting!!WTF

Compared to the glock19 It feels like the slide on the 228 is a block of wood.

muzzle flip is much greater resulting in less accurate follow-up shots.

Dollar for dollar the glock is the leader of the competition. I dont care what anyone says a gun should not rust from minor persperation. I could have it refinished in hard chrome but I think the price is expensive enough.

The Sig sits in the safe while the glock is shoved under the mattress.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd personally like to get a G19.  Felt really nice in my hands.  I almost was thinking of selling my P99 to get it even but I like them both, so I'll probably just end up getting a G19 as well heh.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:35:21 AM EDT
[#26]
G19.  Less stuff to go wrong with it and it works well with almost zero oil.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:39:05 AM EDT
[#27]
My vote would have to be for the G19. The Glocks in my opinion are simple, durable, reliable, and accurate. I've had several Sigs and think they are overrated. I also believe their quality has gone downhill once they started being manufactured in Exeter NH by "six pack Joe". The Sig can make for a better range gun due to a crisp SA trigger, and added weight if your interested in punching paper all day.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:59:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I'd go with the Sig. Most Glocks don't fit me and shift in my hand while shooting. See which one fits YOU better..and if both do.. get the Sig!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:39:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
flip a coin !

Best advice there.

I own and ahve carried a G19 and like it.  But, I've long been coveting a P228, and finally put a deposit down on one the other day when i heard that civilian sales were being discontinued.  

Dangit, just another toy to have to wait to play with till I get home.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Why are civilian sales being discontinued?

I wont ever get rid of mine even though I like Glocks better. It was given to my by my dad, I have no plans of selling any guns that were the property of my father.

Quoted:

Quoted:
flip a coin !

Best advice there.

I own and ahve carried a G19 and like it.  But, I've long been coveting a P228, and finally put a deposit down on one the other day when i heard that civilian sales were being discontinued.  

Dangit, just another toy to have to wait to play with till I get home.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#31]
From what I read on SigForum.com, it's a matter of what is selling.  There just wasn't enough of a market for the P225 and P228 anymore.  SIG is also going to stop selling non-railed versions of the P226, P220, and P229.  Easier to have only one frame style to make for each pistol line than two.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Tough call, both are excellent side arms. I cheated and got both (G19/P229).  I went with the 229 over the 228, because of the stainless slide on the 229. It helps IMO to alleviate the issues with rust on some sigs.

1. Get what ever gun fits you
2. Sometimes the one that fits best, isn't in your price range. So, get the best fitting gun you can afford, or wait until you can affor the one you truly want.

Both are fine guns, you're not making a bad choice, either way.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Just got back form front Site... Inour class of 42 there were 4 sigs and 9 glocks... the sig triggers suck as all the people could see from the heavy triggers causing them to get bad groups.. the glocks were pretty decent with accuracy and the 1911s were the one jagged hole guns.
Anthony
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#34]
SIG is the answer regardless of the question.

The possible exception would be deep concealment where I returned to the dark side.
Otherwise SIG is the answer for open carry and light concealment issues for me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Both are great.  I carry a P228, and for me, its perfect.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#36]
I just got a VMII for my Sig 220.  Great gun, great holster.  I personally prefer the Sig triggers, I like the DA/SA better than the safe/action.  With a little bit of work there's not much out there that's smoother than a Sig trigger.  MJD

Quoted:
I'm trying to decide this myself right now.

G19 & G21 or 228 & 220

Both sets are priced about the same (CPO Sigs).

Everything but the trigger and grip angle go in favor of Glock for me. (Size, Weight, Capacity, Sight Radius, Cost of parts, cost of mags, ease of repair, ...)
BUT
I really like the way the Sigs feel and shoot. (ergonomics)

A Milt Sparks VMII costs the same for all of them though.

If I only made more $ and HK would bring out the HK45, then this could get even more complicated.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Just got back form front Site... Inour class of 42 there were 4 sigs and 9 glocks... the sig triggers suck as all the people could see from the heavy triggers causing them to get bad groups.. the glocks were pretty decent with accuracy and the 1911s were the one jagged hole guns.
Anthony

Thats funny, I went to Thunder Ranch over the summer and the SIGs and Glocks worked 100% all of the time, letting the students concentrate on actually shooting. All the 1911's were jamming; they even had to have a special 1911-armorer hang around to fix the problems. In addition, all the 1911 guys were advised to practice their Failure to Fire drills; meanwhile the Sig & Glock guys were told not to bother. Hmmmm funny how these things work out huh?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
If you had to choose between the 228 or 19 which would you choose and why?  I'm leaning towards the 19 because the weapon is easier to work on and the mags are alot cheaper and seem to be more plentiful, but the 228 is a very smooth shooting pistol.  By the way I can only have one due to financial reasons!

Thanks for the feedback.

Why would you have to work on a Glock?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#39]
I carry a G19 every day all day if I'm not carrying my G17. They both have no problem with anyabuse I can throw at them. Both have been through many days of training where 1K + days were the norm. Neither has so much as hiccuped with any ammo I put in the mag. They are as accurate as I am, and they have plenty of ammo capacity. Easy to maintain, easy to field strip. They clean very quickly. I trust these guns %100.

I've fired the Sigs, but never took a class with one. I've seen three or four Sigs break down at classes, and I've seen guys that are good shooters get horrible groups because of lack of training with DA. The Sig double action is smooth for sure, but it requires a training up period to get familiarized with it. After that they are great shooters. The Sigs really do have nice triggers, nicer than the Glock. I have heard a lot of complaints about the slide finish as well. My neighbor carries one for work.

They are both great guns, but I will be sticking with my Glock. If I were you I'd try both and decide for yourself. You'll never get a decisive answer here. There is also nothing wrong with either pistol. Either way is a win. Buy your gun and some mags and a good holster and belt, and then start saving to train. Training is a bigger issue than the gun you choose by far. You can become proficient with either.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#40]
I had both.  Although the 228 is an outstanding weapon, the trigger pull length was too small for my meathooks.  I could fire it accurately, however, it took much more effort to do so.  The Glocks fit me better.  For that matter, the 1911 and the P220 fit me better, too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#41]
sig anyday.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Glock anyday.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:48:39 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Why would you have to work on a Glock?

There is something satisfying about how easy it is to completely disassemble the gun for a thorough cleaning, without having a thin wire spring fly across the room and into the creases of a couch.

I'm not familiar with the Sigs internals, but having disassembled Berettas and S&W semi autos, I enjoy how many less things can fly out or drop out of a Glock.  The extractor depressor plunger spring is the only little guy that might make a break for it if you're not careful.  

My Beretta M-92 has all sorts of tiny little coiled things just waiting for the perfect chance to make a break for freedom when they see their opening.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#44]
My opinion is that both are great pistols, but when it comes to comfort holding and shooting, the SIG is the winner.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Lot's of great feekback.  I currently have a 228 and a G19, but the SIG will probably have to go.  I will miss it, but I think the G19 will serve a little better for my personal needs.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#46]
If you are like me then the half ass finish on the sig won't matter.  I have a complete inability to leave a gun completely stock.  I may spend more because of it but then you can get exactly what you want.  If finish is the main issue just send the slide to CCR for gun-kote.  I have had several guns finished with gun-kote and they can be sweated on all day long with no rust issues.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top