Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/15/2006 8:15:06 AM EDT
Was looking around abit and read up on the YB 1*. Now I noticed that the price between the custom 1* and the factory SA TRP are very similar. The 1* is even based on the mil-spec SA. How many would prefer the factory TRP over the custom 1* even though the price is comparable? I know that they do have some differences and alot of this is personal preference, but with prices being relatively the same, who would still buy a upper end factory gun over a gun that has been done up by a notable smith? I am really just using these 2 models as an example. You can plug in any 2 or 3 guns you wish. I'm thinking for the same money, I would want something that a good custom guy is doing just for me as compared to a factory guy just trying to stock shelves. BTW, since I brought it up, what are the opinions on the 1* package. Thanks, Terry
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:45:17 AM EDT
Of the two choices in your example, I would choose the Yost 1* over the SA TRP hands down. However, I also spent the big bucks a couple months ago for one of the last ADCO Spec Rock River Arms 1911s and have not purchased a 1* yet. So at the risk of using the old cliche...it's situationally dependent.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:43:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:13:02 PM EDT
Yost-Bonitz. Mainly because that's what I hope my next one is.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:22:22 PM EDT
+1,000 on the Yost...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:26:07 PM EDT
What is Yost's current turnaround time for the *1?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:49:05 PM EDT
I absolutely love my 1*. It is the best 1911 I have ever shot. Mine rides in my holster on a daily basis. The basic package has everything I wanted in a carry gun and nothing I didn't. I would reason to say that the gun is more accurate than I am. Also I like the idea of one person working on my gun from start to finish. The turnaround for mine this time last year was like 5 months but I had a few extras added in.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:22:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 9:23:06 PM EDT by Va_Dinger]
If you can afford it get the Yost. While the TRP does receive more hand fitting than a SA "Loaded" model it is not a custom or semi-custom pistol by any means. The Yost is a pure custom. It's like comparing apples to oranges.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:54:13 AM EDT
I've got a TRP which I love, but I will concur on getting a Yost.

The only thing that was kinda intimidating for me on the true custom builds is trying to figure out what I want, what I really need and what is feasible...

Those unknowns in my book made the TRP a good start for a quality 1911 which has allowed me to get a handle on some features that I would like in a custom build. As I get to play with more and more 1911's along with figuring out how I use and shoot my 1911 I'm getting a better idea of what exactly I want in a custom build and have started the list of what I want in a custom 1911, but first things are first and I still need to find the series 70 on which it will be built...

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:37:57 AM EDT
Yost.
Top Top