Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/6/2006 3:19:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/8/2006 2:57:45 PM EDT by Mr45auto]
Just looking for builds based on the springfield GI. I have one that's staying stock and will be getting another to build on. I like the clean look of the GI, no damned forward serrations and straight up rear. Also debating whether to polish and blue it or just blast and park it. I think I'm going to go minimal on it. Sights, beavertail, and safety lever ( no damned ambi either!) and maybe a barrel. I like the high cut ejection port even though it's hell on my brass. There will be other minor mods ( like ditching the ILS) but nothing externally obvious.

Who makes a beavertail that can be contoured to the gun for the cleanest lines without having to weld up the frame? ( no humps pleeeze )
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:50:36 AM EDT
The only BT made for it without humps is the Smith and Alexander.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:25:36 PM EDT

Like This???
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:56:44 PM EDT
Looking for ones already mildly modified. I've got one stocker. I love the look of the GI model, it's almost a shame to dink with it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:09:26 AM EDT
Try simply looking through the pic threads here and you will see some.

Also try the pic threads on sites like louderthanwords and 1911forums

Most people arent going to want to take the time to repost what they already have put up and can be easily found by looking in the pic threads.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck, they are nice clean guns to build off of.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:14:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2006 11:38:14 PM EDT by Mr45auto]
I see a bunch of colts and what looks like early milspecs but the GI is somewhat harder to spot. I was mainly interested in how the beavertail mates up with that particular frame. I have an old milspec with a fitted Ed Brown and it mates up nicely ( I really dont know if the smith welded it or not) Specifically asked for photos here so I could get info on the particular mod I liked. Often the picture threads are nothing more than just the photos.

I've never heard of louderthanwords so I guess I'll mosey on over and see what it is.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:12:28 PM EDT
Copy and paste this to google> Brownells #849-009-117 for your beaver.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:53:04 PM EDT
"Mildly" modified...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:27:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2006 11:40:07 PM EDT by Mr45auto]
That is about what I want, who did your stippling and which beavertail is that?

I see a stainless bushing as well, aftermarket barrel?

I've never tried one of the aftermarket magwells, how does it work out with the 47Ds? Is the baseplate big enough to slam them in reliably?

That's close to the setup I'm hoping to build. I like the uncut ejection port

Does anyone know of a spur type hammer that will fit with a beavertail or do I need to bob one?
( I plan to replace all the MIM with barstock parts most likely EB or WC bulletproof)

I also want to find a stock looking long trigger. My end goal is not a full on custom pistol but a close to GI spec carry gun with minor enhancements. Sort of what the factory should be building in the first place.

This is why I wanted some pics of the GI specifically, I'm still not completely sure on the extent of the modifications I want to do. I have one pistol that's pretty much the way I want a carry gun to be. I also dont want a cookie cutter gun like the "loaded" or the kimbers and I dont want to spend a zillion dollars on a high end gun like a Yobo. Originally I wanted novaks and such but that last photo has me leaning back towards a more traditional sight setup with a bit higher profile.
I just want something practical and "different" than the current crop of off the shelf guns.

I will be tracking total cost of the initial purchase, the new parts, whatever I can sell the old parts for and come up with a final tally to see if it was all worthwhile after all.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:31:05 PM EDT
Tagged to gain 1911 wisdom
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:42:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mr45auto:
That is about what I want, who did your stippling and which beavertail is that?

Beavertail is Smith & Alexander, as is the MSH/magwell. Stippling looks good, doesnt it? Its grip tape from home depot, I havent stippled it yet since Im still contemplating checkering also.

I see a stainless bushing as well, aftermarket barrel?

It is a Briley bushing with a TiN coated bearing inside of it, holds the barrel to a tolerance of .001" and rotates freely on the inside of the barrel bushing, which acts more like a housing in this sense. Barrel is the same that came with the gun.

I've never tried one of the aftermarket magwells, how does it work out with the 47Ds? Is the baseplate big enough to slam them in reliably?

I dont think I could have a 1911 without the magwell after having one, you can practically drop a loaded mag into the magwell and it will slide in until hitting the mag release. The 47D pad works perfectly with the magwell, mags without pads take a little extra thumb to ensure proper seating, but they can be used somewhat quickly also.

That's close to the setup I'm hoping to build. I like the uncut ejection port

Does anyone know of a spur type hammer that will fit with a beavertail or do I need to bob one?
( I plan to replace all the MIM with barstock parts most likely EB or WC bulletproof)

I also want to find a stock looking long trigger. My end goal is not a full on custom pistol but a close to GI spec carry gun with minor enhancements. Sort of what the factory should be building in the first place.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:57:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2006 5:58:35 AM EDT by jollyroger]

Originally Posted By jdgiii:

Me too.

nf9648: Were those additions/modifactions done by yourself or a gunsmith?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:00:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jollyroger:

Originally Posted By jdgiii:

Me too.

nf9648: Were those additions/modifactions done by yourself or a gunsmith?

Only thing outsourced was the front sight staking, which was done at a gunsmith across the street from HS Precision in Rapid City, SD while visiting family. Trigger, hammer, sear, disconnector, ambi safety, MSH guts, and all pins in the gun are Cylinder & Slide; MSH and grip safety are Smith & Alexander, and bushing is Briley. This is my favorite of my pistols, trigger breaks at a clean 4# and puts the holes where you want them. Last shoot I took it to I fired exclusively JHPs (not because I wanted to, but Sports Authority was out of 230 gr winchester ball ammo), without a glitch.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:29:14 AM EDT
Here is mine, just got it back from Yost-Bonitz:

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:47:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2006 11:28:12 AM EDT by Mr45auto]
Very nice, I like the bobbed spur hammer. What's the ballpark price for the work?

Edit, I found a place to fit an Ed Brown beavertail for only $50 labor ! ( I'm sure they'll do it right too )
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:30:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2006 11:31:21 AM EDT by JYogi]
For the basic 1* job on your own gun you are looking at $895 and prices just go up from there.

http://www.yost-bonitz.com/packages/

www.yost-bonitz.com/packages/
Top Top