Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/2/2005 6:19:33 AM EDT
Been a 15 years since I handled a 1911 (Colt GC NM). A SA A1 followed me home from the pawn shop yesterday and I got a Q. It does not seem to have a half cock position the hammer will come back about 3/32 and stay put but if I grip it and pull the trigger the hammer will fall. Everything else seems normal. Am I spacing out or what? Help, I need to shoot it today if I can.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:01:12 AM EDT
Sounds like someone tried to do a trigger job, and screwed it up pretty good. There should be a half cocked position, and the hammer should not fall when the trigger is pulled. You can either take it to a gunsmith for inspection and repair, or replace the sear, disconnector, hammer, and/or mainspring yourself. Either way, it's not expensive, and easily fixed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:07:29 AM EDT
Can anyone recommend a shop manual and or Vid?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:40:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2005 8:43:16 AM EDT by man0ica]
I have found that AGI videos are informative and helpfull. They are available at Brownells.com. Lots of great books there also. If you have a 1911, it is really nice to be able to completely dis-assemble them, and it not that hard of a job. Heres a link to Brownells......

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=188&title=AMERICAN+GUNSMITHING+INSTITUTE+VIDEO+ARMORER'­S+COURSES

Can't get the link to work, looks like you'll have to cut and paste this address to your browser window
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:38:04 AM EDT
I have found that the GI SA models don't have a standard half cock position. My GI does the same as you mentioned, hammer will drop from 1/2 cock if trigger is pulled. I don't believe there is enough force to fire the gun.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:22:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drobs:
I have found that the GI SA models don't have a standard half cock position. My GI does the same as you mentioned, hammer will drop from 1/2 cock if trigger is pulled. I don't believe there is enough force to fire the gun.

+1. I hope you didn't take it to a smith yet and waste any money. The gun comes from the factory with a hammer that has a half cock shelf, not a captive half cock notch. The half cock is simply a safety measure if the gun is dropped and the hammer falls. It will stop at the half cock, and it's not necessary to have a captive notch.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:39:51 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies. Takes a load off my mind.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:50:55 PM EDT
Also, thanks for clearing that up for me too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:21:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By man0ica:
Also, thanks for clearing that up for me too.

Well, you would think that since it's pretty close to a GI gun, it would have that notch. I actually never thought of it until you guys brought it up, despite hundreds of trigger jobs on SAs. So, thank you guys!
Top Top