Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 6:25:27 PM EDT
I am planning on purchasing a 1911, it will be my first one and I don't know alot about them.

My price range is about $800-$1100, the guns I'm considering are the SW1911 SW1911

or the SA PX9152L SA1911 Black Satinless Adj sights

Any opinions, really don't know much about 1911's, these are the 1's I like asthetically and seem to have the features I am looking for.  Accuracy and reliability are my main priorities.

I basically want a gun that is out-of-the-box good, and won't have to throw more money in it to make it more accurate, ergonomical, or reliable.

P.S.- sorry if this has been covered before....
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I just ordered my fourth 1911, a S&W1911SC. It seems that many, many people are very impressed with the S&W 1911's. It took me a while to warm up to an external extractor, though. I cannot speak one way or the other abut SA.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't like S&W 1911s mostly because I don't like the way they look.  I hate the sight cuts, the markings, the beavertail cut, etc.   However, they are very reliable, fairly accurate, and the external extractor seems to work just fine, unlike another manufacturer's.

I like almost everything about the Springer, but they are known for excessive extractor tension from the factory (which is easily corrected).  I would recommend the Springer, but the S&W will most likely be 100% functional, while the Springfield might need monor tweaks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#3]
i like the prices and SA warranty on the SA 1911s....h/w, i like the fit and finish (definitly tighter and smoother) of the SW1911s

both of my SAs and SW were bought used....the SA had some feeding issues and my SW has been 100% reliable

if i had to give one a vote to be more reliable out of the box, i'd opt for the SW....
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I would go with the SA. My only problem with the S&W is the EE.  Not that it does not work but it is kinda ugly and limits your options later.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
For around $850.00 you can get a real nice Colt XSE
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Which will have an 80 series FP safety, no night sights, nor an ambi safety.

I like my 1991A1 and Officers ACP just fine, but I have come to like my Springfields better.

The SA is a good pistol with a lot of features. Perfect? No.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I think he said that he wanted it to be reliable and ready to go "out of the box".

For that I'd probably go with the SW or look at the Kimber Custom II. The Springer is close behind.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Thanks for the input guys, I'm really leaning towards the SA, I just love the way the black stainless looks.

Anyone know what i should expect to pay for the SA PX9152L  new?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top