Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/24/2003 5:00:16 AM EDT
I just hope Ruger Firearns realizes when the mag ban goes out, if they continue selling 10 rnd magazines to "honest men" they're going to get screwed.

Bill Ruger is dead so maybe things will change in 2004.

CRC
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 5:53:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/24/2003 5:58:56 AM EDT by Jim_Dandy]
"Screwed" by whom? You don't have enough clout or understanding to "screw" Ruger.

(BIG CONDESCENDING, EXASPERATED SIGH FOR THE DUNCES IN THE HOUSE) Well, CRC, here's the folly in this "boycott" BS, AKA why your idea is STUPID and WON'T WORK:

Ruger is a publicly traded, investor-owned company with other subsidiaries and manufacturing concerns. There's a big world outside of firearms to which you seem oblivious (as in ignorance is bliss).

So you want to boycott Ruger over some perceived slight? That's cool. Ruger is also largely involved in producing hardware and frames for furniture. That's right, the chair where your butt's parked is probably made with a frame produced in a Ruger-owned and operated foundry. So I suppose you'll give up sitting in order to remain true to your "boycott," right?

Ruger foundries also produce outsourced items for automobile manufacturers, notably connecting rods and pistons for the "Big Three." Bicycles are cool, too. Got to be true to the "boycott."

Ruger also handles outsourcing of parts and assemblies for other firearms manufacturers. That new Remington shotgun you have your eye on just might have its action bars and other small parts produced by Ruger. You can live without that.

Ruger produces sports equipment like golf clubs and aluminum bats as well as kids' playground equipment. That's cool, too. Your kids can play with an old tire and a rope, who needs playground equipment? Except the machinery used to manufacture the tire and rope might contain parts produced by Ruger or its subsidiaries.

Thinking about buying some new handtools for the garage? Ruger foundries produce things for Craftsman, Snap-On, Mac, Kobalt, etc. You can probably get by with Vise Grips.

Ruger also licenses their designs and patents to other firearms manufacturers. Just remember that when you're buying something with the transfer bar safety system since Ruger receives a royalty on each one sold. Now you're down to zip guns and muzzleloaders. WAY TO GO!!!

Remember that little part about Ruger being a publicly traded company? Hope your employer (assuming you are employed) doesn't have any stockmarket investments in RGR (their stock is actually on the rise). That would suck, because you'd want to quit your job if that were the case.

Your 401K (again, giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are employed) just might have one of its funds invested in RGR. Oh well, retirement isn't that important, THE BOYCOTT IS!!!!

If your insurance company underwriting your home and automobiles is like most, they have some stockmarket investments, too. That's okay, you can assume the liability if they happen to hold any RGR.

For your little boycott to even be remotely effective, you will have to commit to never purchase any manufactured consumer goods ever again and you'll have to convince others to do the same. Good luck, pal!!

A boycott of S&W products worked for awhile, because they didn't do much aside from produce their own firearms. Not now. They're becoming as diverse as Ruger.

The fact of the matter, CRC, is that there is NO gun manufacturer with marketing and/or manufacturing operations here in the U.S. who is 100% pro-gun anymore. PERIOD. Their bottom line is to manufacture firearms and make money. If they choose to make an unpopular or controversial decision in order to keep making money, then so be it. Any manufacturer will sell your ass out in a heartbeat.

Ruger will not lose any sleep or money over your decision. The only deprivation is yours in not owning some otherwise good firearms, which is more or less the goal of the anti-gunners. Thanks for playing into their hands, CRC!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:34:42 AM EDT
I never understood all the boycotts either. I mean in theory they can be somewhat patriotic or pro second amendment. But in reality the only person who will really suffer is the individual who is boycotting whatever product. Especially a company like Ruger who doesn't totally rely on firearms sales.

While it can be noble to boycott products from manufacturers who may not live up to our standards, it really doesn't accomplish anything. Afterall, there are so many companies these days who would not measure up to our standards that if we boycotted them all we would not have many items in our homes! Again, the boycott ideas in the beginning were noble but today they almost seem silly. If a company makes a product you don't like, then buy something else. But we can't boycott everything unless we wanna live off the land. LOL.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:16:40 AM EDT
Looking at the various major firearms manufacturers, I think at some point in the future, they're going to just get out of the consumer firearm business and concentrate on other things. They're going to get tired of putting up with all of the silly product liability lawsuits brought forward by individuals within the firearms community (Jack Belk, for instance), Government restrictions, boycotts by the ignorant, and limited market for their products.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:50:21 AM EDT
I have read somewhere that they have no intention on making the 15 rounders for 9MM anymore.
I hope the other gunmakers don't follow suit.
Maybe CRC didn't realize what else the Ruger empire was into and that a boycott would do little else than make you feel good.
I guess I'm "lucky"...my pegboard has several blister packs marked "P-18" on 'em.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 12:56:52 PM EDT
Where have I said I'd boycott Ruger?

Those dumbarses won't sell any semi-auto pistols after 9/14/04 if they won't go back to 15 and 11 rounders.

CRC
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 2:53:25 PM EDT

Those dumbarses won't sell any semi-auto pistols after 9/14/04 if they won't go back to 15 and 11 rounders.

They won't sell any or they won't sell any to you? Guess what? They don't care. It's strictly a business decision to them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:59:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jim_Dandy:

They won't sell any or they won't sell any to you? Guess what? They don't care. It's strictly a business decision to them.

And a BAD one, no?

CRC
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 4:40:59 PM EDT

And a BAD one, no?

Bad if they were a company who relied heavily on the sales of these pistols. I foresee most of the major firearms manufacturers transitioning out of firearms sales and manufacturing. They're getting tired of Bubba The Redneck who blows a hole in himself suing for product liability, they're getting tired of Government entities suing them, they're getting tired of having to justify the production and sale of their products to the public, they're getting tired of jumping through hoops to comply with Government regulations, and they're getting tired of having to deal with dumb rednecks who "boycott" their products due to some perceived slight. It'll be easier and less stressful to devote their manufacturing energies elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:16:57 PM EDT
Can I ask why this even matters when Mec-Gar 15 rounders will be readily available after the ban? I think it's horse crap that Remington puts those dimples in the mag tubes of most 870's, but that won't stop me from buying one and grabbing a Dremel.

How about we divert some of this energy into making sure that the ban really does sink in '04?
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 3:39:49 AM EDT
True, CRC did not say anything about boycotting Ruger.
The statement "if they continue selling 10 rnd magazines to "honest men" they're going to get screwed" leads me to the assumption that the masses will reject them, based on that fact, in effect a boycott?
Sorry for the misread, CRC.
My more recent Ruger 9MM purchases have left the 10 round mags with the dealer and the prices were adjusted accordingly.

Point well taken m_c_m about the MecGar mags, and those even fit both the early and late P-89s, unlike the factory P-18 marked mags that won't work in the P-85s.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 12:50:39 PM EDT
Nobody's going to call for a Ruger boycott. They will simply buy a gun from another make that comes with a 15 round mag instead of a 10 rounder after 9/14/04. Ruger simply won't sell many except to straw purchasers.

CRC
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 1:56:24 PM EDT
I support them. They make great guns for less cash. Plus, their customer service has no equal.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 2:47:11 PM EDT

Nobody's going to call for a Ruger boycott. They will simply buy a gun from another make that comes with a 15 round mag instead of a 10 rounder after 9/14/04. Ruger simply won't sell many except to straw purchasers.

CRC

And you are still not understanding that Ruger DOES NOT CARE about this. They are going to transition themselves to something other than firearms. They will do whatever they have to do to minimize their liability, perceived or real. Should've stocked up on these magazines when they were still $10.
Top Top