Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2011 12:34:51 PM EDT
I have a ruger vaquero .45lc that has the "case color hardening" from ruger. I understand they have stopped production of these revolvers. Would this mean that the price has gone up or does the rust issue lower the price?
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#1]
It's always interesting when someone frames a question in a way that precipitates the answers they seem to want.

First, New Model Vaqueros in .45 Colt's are still manufactured.

Second, I have never seen, nor heard of any rust problems with chrome moly ruger guns.  And I've seen some old and neglected vaqueros.

Third, .45 caliber is what people new to action shooting often buy, but rarely the caliber they stay with.  So, there are more being offered in this caliber than others.  So, they tend to sell at a discount to other vaqueros.

Fourth, there was a pair of new model vaqueros in blue/cch at the match yesterday.  The guy selling them was asking $800 for the pair.

So, figure $400 bucks for the gun on a good day.
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Second, I have never seen, nor heard of any rust problems with chrome moly ruger guns.  And I've seen some old and neglected vaqueros.

Well, my 1st Gen case colored Vaquero (bought in around '97 or so) did indeed rust.  Not a lot, mostly traces of fingerprints.  It would wipe off....taking the case coloring with it.  Then those spots would really rust.  I called Ruger, they offered to refinish it, I just had to send it in.  Well, I never did (don't shoot the gun much, got it to fill the "cowboy gun' niche in the safe mostly), and wound up having it refinished by a local gunsmith who did it for free in exchange for the experience.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 1:45:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I wasn't trying to frame a question in any way...I'll try again.

I have a Ruger Vaquero, Case Color Hardened in .45 LC

Ruger has stopped Case Color Hardening.

Their Case Color Hardening has caused rust issues on perfectly well maintained firearms.

Would these circumstances increase value or decrease value.

@RugRat
First, I did not say the vaqueros were no longer produced I said the CCH Vaqueros were no longer produced.
Second, Just because you've never seen or heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. First Google result. I take care of my guns.
Third,Thank you for this information
Fourth, I paid 425 for mine so $400 would be nice.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 4:44:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I would say you are about right on price

I have 2 cch vaqueros in 357 that are at Ruger right now. I had a couple of issues with them mechanically and while they are there, I am having them blued free of charge. I really hate to lose the CCH, but as you know, it is not real, but a chemical process to make it look that way. I was having the same issues with rust. I take very good care of my firearms and they would be cleaned and lightly oiled after every match, but the rust still came on the frame, taking the finish with it when the rust was wiped off. I could just see that eventually my frame was going to be void of finish withing the next year or so. If this thread is still around, I will show a before and after of the process.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks aperdue...I don't want to rip anybody off. I will try some birchwood casey cold blue on the bare metal and see if that solves it and if so I'm getting rid of it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I found that the blue would adhere, I just wasn't satisfied with the look of cold blue mixed in with the case hardening. Good luck with your sale
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got one, not for sale. I just found it interesting that they quit case hardening which makes it more valuable to me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I would say $350 to $400 FTF.  I would consider those shooter prices, with no real collector potential.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 3:03:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I've got one, not for sale. I just found it interesting that they quit case hardening which makes it more valuable to me.

As mentioned above, the coloring is NOT "color case hardening" but a chemical finish that resembles (slightly) the real thing.

Link Posted: 6/30/2011 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Just wanted to come back and post pics as promised.

Before going to Ruger:

Back from Ruger (I asked them if they had any faux ivory grips, they showed up to my ffl like this) :

Link Posted: 7/1/2011 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice!  My Ruger has the 5.5 in bbl, and came with factory ivory grips.  They are dead sexy in that setup!

Dang it, now I'm going to have to get mine out of the safe to post up a pic of my redone case coloring.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top