Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/2/2006 5:13:52 PM EDT
I hope this ain't one of those tired over done topics here, but I have a quandry. I've decided to buy a 4" or so .44Mag as a hog hunting/general purpose/justahave gun, and I'm torn between a Ruger Redhawk and the S&W Mountain Gun. I'd shoot .44 Specials in it most of the time, and am partial to the S&W. Help me decide, any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:13:57 AM EDT
I much prefer the S&W N Frame revolvers to the Ruger Redhawks - but that is just me. Does the Mountain gun you are considering have the stupid safety lock? If so, I would take the Redhawk over any S&W revolver with the lock. It would be most inconvenient if the thing locked itself while a large boar was headed your way. The other consideration is weight, I believe the Mountain gun is lighter than the Ruger. Were it me, I would try to find an older S&W without the lock - there are plenty of them out there you just have to look a bit.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:44:37 AM EDT
Bigbore has a 4" 44mag M29 in the EE. Thats the ticket.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:43:26 AM EDT
I like both but favor the Redhawk 5.5. The 629 is a fine revolver, but will not handle many rounds over 240gr without problems. My new 6.5 Classic went out of time very quickly with 310gr Hammerheads. Meanwhile the Redhawk continues to eat anything, including the 310gr and 330gr loads on Elk and Mule Deer hunts.
If your going to mainly shoot .44Specials and .44 mag loads below 240gr, either will be a great pistol. Anything over, and I would suggest the Redhawk.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:34:57 PM EDT
Thanks for the input; are the newer Smith and Wessons all round butt K/L size grips?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:45:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ryann:
Thanks for the input; are the newer Smith and Wessons all round butt K/L size grips?

I think they have seperate N frame grip sizes, but they are all round butt.

For what you describe as your purpose, I would go with the Smith. I bought a 629 4inch, and I simply can't handle the really punishing loads, so the ability to shoot 300+grain monster loads means nothing to me. I prefer the smooth trigger of the S&W, since that impacts me more directly.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:17:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:

Originally Posted By ryann:

I think they have seperate N frame grip sizes, but they are all round butt.

For what you describe as your purpose, I would go with the Smith. I bought a 629 4inch, and I simply can't handle the really punishing loads, so the ability to shoot 300+grain monster loads means nothing to me. I prefer the smooth trigger of the S&W, since that impacts me more directly.

i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/vanilla_gorilla911/629005.jpg

Good lookin' gun! What is a good magnum load for that 4" barrel?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:12:35 PM EDT
For loads in the 44 mag I have been all around the block (blackhawks,a Redhawlk, and a couple of different 629's (different barrel length). I only use two basic mag loads and a couple more 44spec loads.
For the .44 mag I like a good 240 cast (comercial-I am too lazy even though I have all the stuff) with a heavy load of 2400. Work up to it in your gun but mine is happy with 19.5 gr. This is a stiff load and works fine in my 629's (6 1/2" and 3") and is also great in my marlin cowboy rifle . My other 44 mag load is 6.5 unique with the same 240 bullet. This is kind of midrange.
For light loads I have used 5.0 Clays with a 200gr lead bullet in a mag case or the 240 bullet with 3.7 of clays in the 44 spec case. Clays seems to work very well in lighter loads in these large cases.
I have found that before shooting lead bullets in rifle or pistol I want to clean very well and then use a good copper solvent (Butches Bore Shine or Sweets) to get every bit of jacket material cleaned out . With the clean bore I get little or no leading and it cleans right out. If lead is shot over even slight amounts of copper jacket fouling I get all kinds of dreadfull leading that is a stinker to clean . In practise I use some guns with jacketed bullets and some with only lead.
Heavy lead (240+) bullets are proven killers whan hunting with astounding penatration. I think a bullet .429 around doesn't really need to expand to preform well .
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:07:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nhsport:
For loads in the 44 mag I have been all around the block (blackhawks,a Redhawlk, and a couple of different 629's (different barrel length). I only use two basic mag loads and a couple more 44spec loads.
For the .44 mag I like a good 240 cast (comercial-I am too lazy even though I have all the stuff) with a heavy load of 2400. Work up to it in your gun but mine is happy with 19.5 gr. This is a stiff load and works fine in my 629's (6 1/2" and 3") and is also great in my marlin cowboy rifle . My other 44 mag load is 6.5 unique with the same 240 bullet. This is kind of midrange.
For light loads I have used 5.0 Clays with a 200gr lead bullet in a mag case or the 240 bullet with 3.7 of clays in the 44 spec case. Clays seems to work very well in lighter loads in these large cases.
I have found that before shooting lead bullets in rifle or pistol I want to clean very well and then use a good copper solvent (Butches Bore Shine or Sweets) to get every bit of jacket material cleaned out . With the clean bore I get little or no leading and it cleans right out. If lead is shot over even slight amounts of copper jacket fouling I get all kinds of dreadfull leading that is a stinker to clean . In practise I use some guns with jacketed bullets and some with only lead.
Heavy lead (240+) bullets are proven killers whan hunting with astounding penatration. I think a bullet .429 around doesn't really need to expand to preform well .

Thats great info, thanks! What off the shelf loads would you recommend for the 4" barrel for the non-reloader?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:15:34 PM EDT

44 Remington Magnum
240 gr. USA Jacketed Soft Point

Product Symbol: Q4240

Ballistic Coefficient: 0.167

Barrel Length: -

Suggested use: Hunting
Description: Massive Energy Deposit, Accurate, Optimum Penetration, Consistent Expansion
Application: Thin skinned game such as Whitetail Deer and Boar

Bullet features include:
Proven Accuracy
Notched Design
Solid Nose Design

Packaging Options
Rounds Per Box: 50
Box MSRP: $25.95
Rounds Per Case: 500
Case MSRP: $259.50

Handgun Ballistics Distance (yds) Velocity (fps) Energy (ft.lbs.) Mid-Range Trajectory (in.)
Muzzle 1180 741 -
50 1081 623 -
100 - - -

This load seems like a good Magnum load for deer, and about all I can handle anyway.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:09:04 AM EDT
If you are going to use the 44 mag as a hunting handgun get the Ruger. The Ruger's are built like tanks and can take a steady pounding of heavy loads where the S&W's are suspect.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:46:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By keystone170:
If you are going to use the 44 mag as a hunting handgun get the Ruger. The Ruger's are built like tanks and can take a steady pounding of heavy loads where the S&W's are suspect.

Even the redhawk, or do you have to go to super redhawk for that tanklike build?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:44:01 PM EDT
From a strength standpoint, the RH is more than adequate.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:49:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rabon:
From a strength standpoint, the RH is more than adequate.

groovy...maybe Saturday at the GS I'll look for Rugers, although from what I can tell the shortest barrel length is 5.5".
Thanks to all for the input
Top Top