Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2003 3:21:07 PM EDT
Are they pretty reliable? Accurate? How's the trigger?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I use to be a range officer, and instruct people on shooting, those that had Ruger auto's always had bigger groups, the gun shoots fine, will last forever, just seems not to be the most accurate out of the box pistol out there. JMO from what I have observed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Generally reliable, fairly accurate, some triggers need help.
Accuracy seems to vary from gun to gun as do triggers. (all useable)
There are no factory offered sights to allow for elevation adjustments that some guns may need.
Hogue rubber fingergroove grips help with the ergonomics.
Don't expect a wonderful finish as they are built more like a tank.
I use one for test loads because I think you would have to work fairly hard to blow one up.
If so inclined, with a spring kit and some polishing, the triggers (SA & DA) are nothing to be ashamed of.
If you are asking about the polymer framed P series Rugers, I never got that far in depth with one to form an opinion.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a P-89(9mm) with Hogue grips.  I Love it.

Almost 2000 rounds, and never had a jam.
Just about as acurate as my friends Beretta 92-fs
Trigger is okay.

for the money they are hard to beat.  tough as nails, will last for ever.

about 100 of those rounds were LEO issue +P+
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]
i have also owned a P89 in the stainless w/the greenish aluminum frame

great gun i would buy one again if my funds were tight but i have stepped up to a different level of hand guns so i no longer own it....

i also never had a jam but i never poped off any +p's through it....very solid never had to replace anything on it....i also had the houge grips <a must get ..u will know what i mean if you get one...it changes the whole feel in a great way..mine was very accurate but with practice comes prefection you should no that...

spentshellz
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#5]
i've got a P95, its big, kinda clunky, and not the most accurate, but it seems to be one solid, reliable gun
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]
My P95DC is the least most expensive handgun in my safe. That being said, it has run flawlessly since new, shoots well, and is built like a tank. I've run most every commercially available ammo through it with out complaint.

I know in most forums "Ruger" seems to be a bad word (most to try to justify their high $$$ gun) but I'd carry mine into battle any day.

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Just say no to defensive handguns with slide mounted controls!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#8]
The only control on my slide is the decocker. I don't worry about it too much myself. My USP's controls stick out more thought they aren't slide mounted.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a P90DC with around 1000 rounds through it. It is a very reliable gun. I have never had a problem with it, ever. It eats everything I have ever fed it.
That said, I do not care for the trigger. Mine is "gritty". I really need to take it to someone who can clean it up. I also hear that I can send it back to Ruger and they will smooth it up for free.

YMMV,
h4
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I use to be a range officer, and instruct people on shooting, those that had Ruger auto's always had bigger groups, the gun shoots fine, will last forever, just seems not to be the most accurate out of the box pistol out there. JMO from what I have observed.

That is the shooters fault and not the pistols.

They are more than accurate enough and the .45s are some of the most accurate service type pistols you can buy.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Their a great gun for the price! I had one and it was very reliable but I was not happy with the accuracy so I sold it and got an XD! Needless to say I now own two and the third will be purchased when the .40 compact comes out!
If you can find one cheap get it if not the XD is better money spent IMO!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top