Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2014 7:55:42 PM EDT
Got a friend that has a ruger Mk 1 , bought it from the original owner , he said it shot excellent when he got it and latley its been having a feeding problem with it , he did buy a new mag for it and it does the same as the original mag ,  said he has shot 4 to 5 k through , if anyone has any ideas as to what it could be , LMK , hes going to bring it over in a couple days to see if I can figure out whats wrong with it ..  thanks guys ....ken
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Clean it? .22lr dont like to be dirty, esp. semi autos.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clean it? .22lr dont like to be dirty, esp. semi autos.
View Quote

this as the first thing I asked him about it , he keeps it spotless from what he tells me , I'll see once he brings it over
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Take the bolt apart and thoroughly clean the grooves the extractor runs in.
Lots of rounds go through these guns and that is what keeps mine reliable.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
The Ruger Marks honestly don't need much cleaning .

If the guy has been breaking it down to clean it has he been putting it together correctly?

They are blowback action so if you slob oil all over them they will get pretty gooped up

After a complete cleaning a bit of dry lube or silicone spray will help . I also like silicone on the mags , oil here will gum things up pretty fast also.

I find that a pretty dry gun with a bit of that grey crud from the ammo will actually run pretty well .

The Marks generally work with most ammo but there are some crummy lots of Remington golden out there that don't work well in most any semi auto.

I would:
         Start with some known good ammo (mini mags is you got some )
         Brush out the chamber with a dry brush .
         Work the bolt by hand to see if its hanging up or gummy
        Check that the magazines are not mashed or dirty
Are the magazines for the Mark I different than the mark IIs ? I kind of think they might be
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Also make sure he is not basing the guns problem on only running low bidder bulk pack crap ammo either. For instance the only time I shoot Remington 22's is if the choices are Remington or no ammo. If he had issues with a brand of ammo try another before blaming the gun
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Ruger Marks honestly don't need much cleaning .

If the guy has been breaking it down to clean it has he been putting it together correctly?

They are blowback action so if you slob oil all over them they will get pretty gooped up

After a complete cleaning a bit of dry lube or silicone spray will help . I also like silicone on the mags , oil here will gum things up pretty fast also.

I find that a pretty dry gun with a bit of that grey crud from the ammo will actually run pretty well .

The Marks generally work with most ammo but there are some crummy lots of Remington golden out there that don't work well in most any semi auto.

would:
         Start with some known good ammo (mini mags is you got some )
         Brush out the chamber with a dry brush .
         Work the bolt by hand to see if its hanging up or gummy
        Check that the magazines are not mashed or dirty
Are the magazines for the Mark I different than the mark IIs ? I kind of think they might be
View Quote

The Mark 1 will only take Mk 1 mags , from my experience with  mine I only take them down for a complete cleaning during the winter time , when I'm not able to go outside , after shooting I just spray wd40 on the inside then blow it clean with an air hose to get any gunk out of it then wipe it down and run apatch down the bore
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:50:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Also make sure he is not basing the guns problem on only running low bidder bulk pack crap ammo either. For instance the only time I shoot Remington 22's is if the choices are Remington or no ammo. If he had issues with a brand of ammo try another before blaming the gun
View Quote

I do have several differant types of 22LR available to try in it , will also look at the fed lips to make sure they are not bent

thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Exactly what is the feeding problem?
I have had a problem with a MkII failing to fully extract the fired case and it becoming jammed with the next round trying to feed. The fired case stuck out at a 90* angle.
I found carbon built up under the extractor whic pushed the empty case far enough that it would eject fully. After scraping the carbon off the bolt face the problem was solved. The carbon was not visible until the extractor was removed and could not be seen at all with the bolt in the upper.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:45:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Posted this awhile back , and my friend finally brought the pistol over to me a couple of days ago , he also brought some of the ammo he had been shooting in it , first thing I did was to load it and fired it 2 times before it shaved a piece off the nose of the bullet ,and stovepiped the bullet in its case, removed it then tryed again and 4 rds later it did the same thing , the pistol was not overly dirty but I took it done , cleaned it , then back together , try another magazine and 3 rds later it did the same thing .

I tryed one of my mags and had the same results with it ,this was to find out if the mag was the problem ,on inspection I notice that some the bullets in the ammo were very loose and I could move it back and forth a great deal more than it should have been  , so I dug out a couple of boxes of my Premium Winchester 22LR ammo to give it a try in the Mark 1 , and this to my amazement ended the problem , I fired 200rds of my win. ammo without any problems at all , mystery solved .

the ammo that was causing all the problems were from a bulk pack of Remington 22LR ammo ,the kind that comes in the little milk cartons , for some unknown reason the bullets were very loose in this ammo ,maybe a quality control failure , when this ammo was made , I also tryed some of this ammo in my double 9 and had no problems with it ..

thought I'd post an update to let those that posted here , know what I had found out about this MK 1  
Thanks for all the tips guys ........ ken
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top