Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2009 3:40:25 PM EDT
So i have a Ruger Mark 2 target with the bull barrel that not cycleing right. I got the pistol a few months ago and when i got it everything was rusted and pitted and looked like shit (which is why i got it for free). I disassembled and clean every single part and powder coated the upper and lower and now it actually looks almost new. Anywho no matter how much oil or how well its clean atleast 3 out of every 10 rounds fail to go off. Iv pinpointed the problem to the bolt not closing all the way. when its fired the bolt cycles and wont sit tightly up against the barrel ( about a 1/16 of an inch gap) just enough that it wont allow the hammer to hit the firing pin. iv sandblasted the inside where the bolt moves so its nice and smooth for the bolt to move. It does not do it all the time either, IT will run perfect for a while then start with the problem so its left me unsure of the problem. Is this common with the Rugers or does anyone know whats wrong with it? Im incline to think its the recoil spring being to light or the mag creating to much friction on the bolt. also Im using Bulk Red box federal which runs perfect in all of my .22s so iv eliminated that as a problem. Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#1]
iv sandblasted the inside where the bolt moves so its nice and smooth for the bolt to move.

You sandblasted the inside of the receiver? Sandblasting leaves the surface pitted and rough. You could use some fine lapping compound and lap the the interior smooth.
I think replacing the recoil spring assembly would be a good idea. Make sure the firing pin isn't damaged or shortened.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I used fine media so its pretty smooth now and it holds oil nice. The bolt seems to stop when the Extractor hits the slot in the barrel. ITs not crooked just the bolt stops when it hits resistance from the extractor spring. wont a stronger recoil cause it to not cycle right? Thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
A stronger recoil spring will have more forward push and help overcome any slight resistance of the extractor being pushed open by it's slot in the barrel face. Too strong of a recoil spring would prevent the bolt from cycling all the way back which could cause a feed jam, but that doesn't sound like your problem. A new, standard strength recoil spring should be installed considering what the original has been through.
Make sure the extractor has smooth sides so it doesn't resist being opened.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh i just looked at midway for a spring and i relized mines broken. One of the prongs at the end that makes a "Y" is broke off clean at the line, Iv never seen one or a pic of one so i dont know what there suppose to look like. Thanks for the help
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top