Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/26/2022 12:07:29 AM EDT
Alright, I was thinking about it today and decided that having one thread dedicated to all of my weird/unusual revolver builds would be easier than maintaining multiple separate threads for each different project, especially since it’s looking fairly certain I’m going to be adding at least a couple more revos to violate here in the near future. If you’d like to read up on what’s happened to the guns up to this point, the previous project threads can be found at these links:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/An-Abomination-The-Schofield-has-been-desecrated/33-203192/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Just-For-Fun-Project-The-Apache-Pug-Pugsly-Von-Knuckleduster-lives-/33-198595/

Here’s where we currently stand:

As far as the “Abomination” Schofield and “Apache Pug” Knucklegun go, both projects are more or less in finished condition. They’re both verified to still be functional, the sight on the Schofield has been zeroed, and the Knucklegun has proven it can dish out some impact damage on a block of ice.

At this point I’m just futzing around with the details some. To that end, I received the PDX1 JHP 45 Colt rounds I’d ordered for the Schofield today and have placed the rounds in the quivers where they’re supposed to go. I’ve been having a bit of difficulty (some of which was entirely my fault) with getting a pair of aftermarket grips for the Pug that properly fit the frame, and wanting to bring the two guns closer together aesthetically I decided to order new grips for both guns last night.

The Schofield will be getting some LS Grips white mother of pearl panels which is made by the same company that made the maple floral scroll grips it’s currently wearing, so I have no concerns that the new pearl grips will mount right up to the Schofield with no issues.

For the Pug, I also ordered a set of white mother of pearl grip panels which are coming from NAA themselves. The stock un-checkered rosewood grips are the ones that have fit the best on the Knucklegun of all the grips I’ve tried so far, and I imagine another set directly from the OEM manufacturer should mount right up with no problems.

That will give both revolvers the common visual cues of a color case hardened frame with white mother of pearl grips, which I’ve decided will be the continuous thread running through all of my future SA revolver builds as well.

Speaking of future SA revolver builds, currently in the scheming/planning stages is a project to build an identical pair of Cimarron Thunderer guns, specifically the 4.5” 45 Colt variants:

That build will be guided by inspiration from Sylvester Stallone’s “Ace in the Hole” revolver from The Expendables trilogy, The Gunslinger’s dual revolvers from The Dark Tower series, and more than a little bit of Cyberpunk 2077 for my particular brand of unusual cool.

Further updates on both the Schofield and Pug will be posted in this thread, and the build of the matched Thunderer pair will be chronicled here when it happens. Feel free to ask any questions you have and stand by for more!
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 12:21:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the Schofield that looks cool. The Pug is interesting but then I don’t care for anything NAA.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 12:40:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 12:54:02 AM EDT
[#3]
"Son, only a pimp in a Louisiana whore-house carries pearl-handled revolvers. These are ivory." - George S. Patton Jr.

While I'm not usually a fan of such things, I really like the floral pattern grips currently on the Schofield.  I think it fits much better with the semi-Steampunk kind of look.  JMHO
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 1:02:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Son, only a pimp in a Louisiana whore-house carries pearl-handled revolvers. These are ivory." - George S. Patton Jr.

While I'm not usually a fan of such things, I really like the floral pattern grips currently on the Schofield.  I think it fits much better with the semi-Steampunk kind of look.  JMHO
View Quote

That’s the caption I was going to use when they got delivered and installed
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 1:13:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I need your take on a Flitz Special
View Quote

I’ve already planned out a modernized Fitz Special build:

- S&W Model 19 Carry Comp 3”

- Shootrite Chopper complete package (may or may not fully remove front of trigger guard), stippled Hideout boot grips

- RDS mount with either a Holosun 508T or Steiner MPS

- Just for fun, the message “To Me From Me” engraved on the same area of the gun in the same font/size to emulate Rex Applegate’s Fitz:

The Fitz Special was, for its time, the absolute distillation of state of the art “high-speed, low-drag” gunfighting carry revolvers. My idea is to build a revolver with modern features and practices that captures that mindset and applies it to a modern day state of the art carry revolver platform.

It all just costs $$$$
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#6]
That is freaking awesome. Both are! You have skills and imagination.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That is freaking awesome. Both are! You have skills and imagination.
View Quote

Thank you very much! I will say, the hard parts were really done by gunsmiths at my request. I can certainly picture what I want something to look like, but the skills and patience to actually fabricate, cut, modify, etc to solve the problem still eludes me. Very pleased with how they’ve both turned out though!
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like the Schofield that looks cool. The Pug is interesting but then I don’t care for anything NAA.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2570885_North-American-Arms-the-mini-revolver-folks-VaxCovidian-Presdient-Owner-out.html
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#9]
According to tracking info both sets of grips are already at the distribution center in Denver, so I should be getting them about the same time today or tomorrow
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#10]
@MRW in regards to a comment made in my original Apache Pug thread, if you (or anyone else for that matter) are looking for a similar project to build a weird revolver yourself I’d be happy to share my plans for a modern version of a Dumonthier knife-pistol based on a S&W Model 60 PC J-frame:

https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/dumonthier-pinfire-knife-pistol-181664

Wright Armory already confirmed they can make it, with properly heat-treated and sharpened blade As everything though, it just takes $$$$
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been google image searching various crazy mods and I think Nerf guns are probably the only ones in my price range.    And now I want a pepperbox too (keeping with the revolver theme).  
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A model 60 with a bayonet JB welded to the underside of the barrel is more my financial speed!
View Quote

I posted a picture of the Schofield in GD and was told by another member that it was a “Bubba-fucked rancid piece of dog shit.” I informed him he was mistaken - I took it to my gunsmith for the custom work. It’s a very finely crafted rancid piece of dog shit.

One rule about these projects, the end results might be utterly horrifying but they must be well made. JB welded bayonet makes me sad panda
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A model 60 with a bayonet JB welded to the underside of the barrel is more my financial speed!
View Quote

Laserlyte makes or made a pistol bayonet made for Glocks and such and one for the NAA mini revolvers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 1:10:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Looking forward to seeing the M.O.P. grips on the Schofield.  They look amazing on the nickel plated versions.  

I've never understood the appeal of the "Fitz Special".  It's been tested and proven it doesn't actually allow faster shots as Fritzgerald claimed and then there's the obvious dangers of the open trigger guard.  I never bought the "easier to shoot with gloves" excuse.  The bobbed hammer makes some sense although a semi bobbed makes more sense to me.

The "bayonet" or knife guns on the other hand have serious potential for "tweaking".
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  Looking forward to seeing the M.O.P. grips on the Schofield.  They look amazing on the nickel plated versions.  

I've never understood the appeal of the "Fitz Special".  It's been tested and proven it doesn't actually allow faster shots as Fritzgerald claimed and then there's the obvious dangers of the open trigger guard.  I never bought the "easier to shoot with gloves" excuse.  The bobbed hammer makes some sense although a semi bobbed makes more sense to me.

The "bayonet" or knife guns on the other hand have serious potential for "tweaking".
View Quote

A fully bobbed hammer is to prevent snags while drawing from the pocket.  You should be shooting the revolver within the pocket, then drawing your semi-auto primary, not waving around a low-count revolver like an old man tired of Social Security.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Well looks like both sets of grips have been “out for delivery” for the last nine hours or so, so…I’m being a little impatient
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A fully bobbed hammer is to prevent snags while drawing from the pocket.  You should be shooting the revolver within the pocket, then drawing your semi-auto primary, not waving around a low-count revolver like an old man tired of Social Security.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Looking forward to seeing the M.O.P. grips on the Schofield.  They look amazing on the nickel plated versions.  

The Fitz Special design was very much a product of the time it was developed in. Genuinely it was considered the gunfighter’s pinnacle HSLD carry gun of the day. You couldn’t call yourself a true shootist if you didn’t have one.

For their time periods, these two types of gun represent the ultimate in carry performance for the discerning shooting enthusiast (at least in reputation).

That said, not all of the modifications made to the guns make sense to us in present day using modern doctrine and technology. It probably isn’t really worth it to completely cut the front half of the trigger guard off the revolver to gain an extra .001 seconds on the first shot. But as historical development of performance-oriented carry guns goes, the Fitz has definitely cemented its place in the hall of fame
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Fitz Special design was very much a product of the time it was developed in. Genuinely it was considered the gunfighter's pinnacle HSLD carry gun of the day. You couldn't call yourself a true shootist if you didn't have one.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b7/85/fb/b785fb698b68c3d0eef8d7e37aae3fa9.jpg

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2016/12/rex-applegate-fitz-special-12.jpg

https://ateiguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/DSC_0003.jpg

For their time periods, these two types of gun represent the ultimate in carry performance for the discerning shooting enthusiast (at least in reputation).

That said, not all of the modifications made to the guns make sense to us in present day using modern doctrine and technology. It probably isn't really worth it to completely cut the front half of the trigger guard off the revolver to gain an extra .001 seconds on the first shot. But as historical development of performance-oriented carry guns goes, the Fitz has definitely cemented its place in the hall of fame
View Quote
The glock looks like mine lol.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#20]
The Fitz was an interesting idea in its time but even a lot of the more serious lawman thought the open trigger guard was stupid.  I seem to recall Jordan commenting on it but can't remember what he said.  I do remember in one of his books where he's talking about helping Smith design the Model 19 that he specified an ejector shroud "...in case someone should bump their head on it."  Pistol whipping along with slaps, blackjacks, truncheons and other impact weapons were still very much a thing at that time so I can see a trigger guard getting bent.    

The skull crusher designs on some of the butts of old revolvers were a neat feature that wouldn't fly today. Example, the Merwin Hulbert.  A lot of the early flintlocks were designed to be used as clubs as well and had brass butts.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Alongside the obvious danger of the trigger being pulled at an untimely moment, I've always wondered if a trigger guard would get bent and then the trigger couldn't be pulled at an opportune time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#22]

We be pimpin’ in a Louisiana whorehouse now boys
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Pearl grips are perfect for them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Alongside the obvious danger of the trigger being pulled at an untimely moment, I've always wondered if a trigger guard would get bent and then the trigger couldn't be pulled at an opportune time.
View Quote

I always figured it might get bent then the trigger wouldn't be able to go forward enough to reset.  With no hammer spur you'd be trying to pinch the sides of the hammer trying to operate it in single action.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#25]

That's going to be a no from me.  I like the other grips a lot better- I think they go better with the era, especially the floral grips on the Schofield.  JMHO, not my guns.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What S&W revolvers have an underbarrel rail?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Laserlyte makes or made a pistol bayonet made for Glocks and such and one for the NAA mini revolvers.

The really expensive 8 shot.  And Korth made one too.  Rather horrific to pair w/ a pistol bayonet.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only one I know of is the TRR8.  I don't see the stubby little Laserlyte/Kabar knife for rails or the one they made that clamps on the cylinder pin for the NAA guns on their website anymore but you can see them on a google image search.  There are some of the rail version on ebay but they want a fortune for them.

ETA- forgot about the Korth and the Chiappa Rhino had one too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's going to be a no from me.  I like the other grips a lot better- I think they go better with the era, especially the floral grips on the Schofield.  JMHO, not my guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, the point of the builds is to be polarizing

I like the aesthetic of the white pearl on the dark CCH frames and that they actually look like a matching set now. I think that’s the common thread I’ll use to connect all my future SA revolver monstrosities - CCH frame, white pearl grips
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:21:35 AM EDT
[#30]
I like the Schofield better now, but I liked the old grips on the Knuckleduster.

As a matched pair the picture is nice, but individually I liked the wood grips. I think it's because before you had an obvious 3-color setup, whereas with the new grips the difference in color between the knuckles and the grips is small enough that it looks like they were supposed to match... and don't.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:31:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I like the Schofield better now, but I liked the old grips on the Knuckleduster.

As a matched pair the picture is nice, but individually I liked the wood grips. I think it's because before you had an obvious 3-color setup, whereas with the new grips the difference in color between the knuckles and the grips is small enough that it looks like they were supposed to match... and don't.
View Quote

I understand what you mean, it’s difficult to tell in the picture but in person the color difference between the pearl grips and the stainless steel knuckles/cylinder is much more distinct
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  I like the Schofield better now, but I liked the old grips on the Knuckleduster.

View Quote

I think the little guy has a nice 3 color scheme - white, grey, & black.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I understand what you mean, it’s difficult to tell in the picture but in person the color difference between the pearl grips and the stainless steel knuckles/cylinder is much more distinct
View Quote

I absolutely understand, sometimes the picture just doesn't do it justice.

To be clear, I love it both ways. It's a cool gun.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#34]
The new NAA grips corrected the uneven fit issues the other grips had. The spacing and fit on the frame is much better:

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Oh I know why they did it but a partial bob gives you the same ability while also allowing more accurate single action shots should the need arise.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Oh yeah! That looks WAY better!!  Well done
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Oh I know why they did it but a partial bob gives you the same ability while also allowing more accurate single action shots should the need arise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what hammer shrouds are for - Colt, Smith, Taurus...
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Op I saw this on Reddit and thought of you
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#39]

I’ve seen that a few times, it’s been floating around the internet for several years. I think it must’ve been a movie prop or something, almost certainly non-functional
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I’ve seen that a few times, it’s been floating around the internet for several years. I think it must’ve been a movie prop or something, almost certainly non-functional
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's got a muzzle brake, a black powder hammer, a single small hinge screw and a single barrel latch, that should be sufficient for 20mm right?  
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's got a muzzle brake, a black powder hammer, a single small hinge screw and a single barrel latch, that should be sufficient for 20mm right?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Sorry for slow updates this last week people, the ‘rona been kicking my ass pretty thoroughly but I seem to be on the up-swing now. Hopefully later this week I’ll get both these revolvers to the local Fudd range and see just how much we can piss off some purists
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Looking forward to what you do next.  I'd like a Taurus Judge in .45 ACP myself.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Looking forward to what you do next.  I'd like a Taurus Judge in .45 ACP myself.
View Quote

The S&W Governor already does that with moon clips I think
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:18:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Looking forward to what you do next.  I'd like a Taurus Judge in .45 ACP myself.

It does, but it's a 6 shot w/ a Hillary Hole.  Do not want.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:19:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Looking forward to what you do next.  I'd like a Taurus Judge in .45 ACP myself.

Ah, fair
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#49]

Got the guns out to the range again after being sick the last few weeks. Just ran a few more cylinders through each revo, no issues with either whatsoever. The Schofield is impressively accurate, after 18 rounds every round was touching on the target save for one. The barrel shroud does seem to deflect a bit more of the cylinder gap blast back towards the shooter, and my right hand got a good peppering with each shot. Perhaps not ideal, but not a huge detriment. I also gave both wheelguns a thorough once-over at home to check all the pins and make sure all screws were tight, which they were. At this point I think the actual shooting of both revolvers will be relegated to special occasions and they’ll serve as display pieces going forward. I’m going to have to find a large enough stand/case to put them in - the little wire kickstands I got for photography won’t work with the Schofield, the barrel’s too long for it to balance well

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:20:18 AM EDT
[#50]
I did go ahead and order up a Hoptic Longbow single-piece six-round quiver to swap out the independent two-round quivers on the Schofield. I noticed the very front quiver was slightly loose again after shooting today. The single-piece quiver will help with making sure they’re all properly aligned and spaced as well, should look a little cleaner
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top