Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2009 4:56:59 AM EDT
I was at the local Academy Sports looking at their firearms when I noticed a Rossi Revolver in the counter.  My wife is not comfortable shooting the XDM I leave at the house for her.  She wants a revolver and they had the Rossi for $249.00, I am wondering if that is a fair price and if they are decent.  I've never owned a revolver other than my little NAA black widow, so I'm not up on what the good ones are.
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 6:08:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Reviews on Rossis have been mixed. I have a 2" .38 that I bought NIB when Navy Arms still had the retail store in Ridgefield, NJ. It was $149 back then. It has not been fired a whole lot but it has give no difficulty. It is not a Smith in terms of fit and finish but neither was it the $400+ that my wife's 649 cost. All in all, it has turned out to be a good value.
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 6:29:10 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife has a 3" .38 in blue.  It is a very nice little revolver.   I just waxed it yesterday and it looks like new.  She has had it around 12 years and shoots it regularly.   I would not have a problem carrying a Rossi.
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Really good guns for the price. I had one in .357 and my ex-wife had one in .38.
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a stainless .38 and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
They don't get a lot of respect, but we've had good luck with our pre-Taurus Rossi's. I had one of the ported .357 VRC's that I really liked. It seemed to be a little smaller than a "K" Frame, but I never compared them directly. The only problem I ever had was the adjustable rear sight loosening up under the recoil of full magnum loads. A little Loctite took care of that. I say I "had" one, because my son liked it even more than I did, so I gave it to him. He also has one of the pre-Taurus .38 snubbies, and it's been perfect.
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought 1 for my wife, it is a stainless 357mag.   No complaints, I carry it myself from time to time.   Paid 289 new back in 2006.  Would recommend it to others as well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, we traded ours for Keltech P3ATs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 3" Rossi 720 in .44 special.  Great gun.  I bought it new in 1993 for around $225 dollars.  All internal parts are stainless as well.  Trigger broke in eventually, used lots of Brownell's action magic and dry-fired until it was nice and smooth.  I sold my S & W 696 a few years ago and made enough of a profit on it that the Rossi is essentially paid for.  Shoots a 240 SWC over a charge of Universal Clays into a 2" orange paster all day long.

Wish they still made them, I'd buy another.
Link Posted: 8/19/2009 6:03:58 AM EDT
[#9]
make sure she can fire it in double action.

Some Rossi's have a very heavy trigger pull.
Link Posted: 8/19/2009 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Academy won't let you dry fire. My buddy bought one there recently and the DA pull is atrociously heavy and I don't like the way the pistol points or the fixed sights. You almost have to point it low to hit on target. It is also a pain to reload with a speedloader. It's as if the cylinder does not swing out far enough. I wouldn't recommend buying brand new.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#11]

I had one. Sold it.

It locked up. I sent it in for warranty work, they lost it, the found it, sent it back, still locked up.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:22:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Rossi model 68, a nickle 5-shot in .38 Special (non +P) with 3 inch barrel. Its very lite for a steel wheel. I have probably 500-600 rounds thru it including some +P. It still works fine.
I think the 68 is an older Rossi. It has some sharp edges and rough spots but function is fine.
If I didn't already have a Taurus .357 with 6" barrel, a S&W 686 6 inch and the Rossi 3 inch i think I would try one of the Rossi 900s like a model 972 6 inch.
I'm thinking Rossi is making their guns better nowdays than they did years back.

-VonBarky-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top