Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2005 4:11:48 PM EDT
So what is the word on this brand? Are they good, bad or somewhere in the middle?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
i took a chance on the midsize model, only paid $285 for it. from what ive heard on 1911.com they are cast frames, ive put around 500 rounds through it so far without a hiccup and any signs of undo wear. accuracy out to 40-50 yards is on par with my kimber custom. 1911.com holds them in pretty high reguards, ive also looked at another philipino made 1911 the shooters arms manufacture or SAM gun and the fit/finish on the ria is far superior. it is all mil-spec as ive swapped out the trigger, sear, and hammer for match parts. its a great gun to tinker with and ive learned how to fully field stip it down. i figured that for $285 it was well worth taking a shot on and i havn't been dissapointed yet. also from what i understand they are no longer making the midsize commander gun any longer. im so impressed with this sub $300 piece that im considering buying a full size also. hope this bit of info helps. btw i bought it from these guys...........

http://ak-47man.com/home.html
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I shot a 1/2 day practical pistol course with mine and put a tough 250 rounds of wolf through it. Dropping the mags in gravel crush and slamming them back home dirty, not a jam or anything at all. I was really proud of her. Oh and she shot better than 99% of the glocks, sigs and CZs out there.

I kid you not.

Jim.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine worked just like it was supposed to for the few months I had it. I liked it enough that I'm trying to get it back.

My understanding is that they seemw to work fine, but parts are either weak or out of spec, so it's not really one to tune up or add on to. It's just good to shoot like it is, and that's cool with me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess it's my view but an SA .45 GI isn't really that much for an entry pistol.   At least I know it will have good steel in it.  I don't think I would ever drop below that level to something that may decide to fail me because of inferrior metal.  I know I would personally stay away from the RIA.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I am not sure exactly how much Wolf I have through mine, more than 500 but less than 1000. It has functioned flawlessly and accurately. I have seen no evidence of "soft"metal. For the price, $269, I am extremely satisfied. It will make an exellent base for a Marvel Precision's 1911 .22  (Unit Two)

www.marvelprod.com/unit2.htm
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:16:07 AM EDT
[#8]
no problems out of mine, other than it didn't like the Chip McCormick hammer strut i put in it..put the orig. back in, no problems. it's got around 2K rounds thru it. Only sign of "soft metal" is slight peening in the slide stop notch, and thats on Par with colts and springfields that i've seen.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:48:52 AM EDT
[#9]
The best thing to do is go to the 1911 forums,
http://www.m1911.org/
http://forums.1911forum.com/
Don't just read the comments about the RIA but look how many issues are being discussed from the Springers, Kimbers, DWs,  and other big boys right out of the box.
That is what led me to get a RIA.

Oh and I have not yet read anything about a RIA failing because of metal softness.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#10]
If you want a bargain 1911 new, there is no other choice than a Srpingfield GI. Some people may get good running RIA's, but many do not. With RIA, you get a limited warranty that would have to be sent out of the country in the event something did happen to go wrong.

The Springfiled uses forged parts and they have a life time warranty that's covered in the states.

As for saying the out of the boxers have more problems, that is because they have such a higher production numbers. I see people complaining about Charles Daly 1911's pretty often, and I'll give you one guess as to what Phillipino cast 1911 clone company makes them.

Out of the box on a budget, I'd go with a Springer GI. Anything not on a budget for me is going to be custom, and the GI is a great starting point.

I suggest going to the forums the one guy mentioned and ask them, but don't expect positive feedback for RIA. There's alot of people perfectly happy with them, but I've always been one to listen to the experts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info. FYI, It would not be an entry level for me. My entry level was a Norinco that I still have and love to death and I am picking up another Norinco tommorow.

I thought 1911.com went under. I havn't been there in so long.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I shot a 1/2 day practical pistol course with mine and put a tough 250 rounds of wolf through it. Dropping the mags in gravel crush and slamming them back home dirty, not a jam or anything at all. I was really proud of her. Oh and she shot better than 99% of the glocks, sigs and CZs out there.

I kid you not.

Jim.

The finest CQB weapon on the planet.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I kid you not.

Jim.

The finest CQB weapon on the planet.  

See Brad_D was there,
God I love that quote MikeB kept yelping out...

Seriously though,  Colesteele, go hold one, read the 1911 forums, list all the good vs. bad comments and satisfaction etc. and make a sound choice.
Honestly I was going to get the S&W 1911 for $800.00 but money was tight so I went with the RIA.
With the money I saved I bought a DPMS AP4 kit . So I got a great 1911 and a really nice carbine for near the same amount. I couldn't be happier.

Oh, and the warrenty work is actually done by Armscor USA in NV.,  Ivan on the 1911Forum is a armscor rep and will try to help online first and if he cant fix it that way he will ask you to send it in. Everyone seems very happy with the service and quick turn around time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Phillipine pot metal.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Phillipine pot metal.

hasn't let me down yet...and i've seen them all fail, regardless of what big name company their from.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#17]
well, so far...just from my limited time shooting i've seen, Wilson, S&W, Kimber, Springfield, Les Baer, STI, and Norinco fail, Pardon me if i happened to lump ALL comapanys into that. But thats the ones i've seen fail. FTE, FTF, Hell, even my RIA has the occasional hiccup. Just that the great majority that put a pistol down b/c it's not american made, or low priced based solely on what they either hear or read what others say is Bull shit. I admit, every company can put out a lemon. But mine has been great, and others that i know have them haven't had any problems with them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Just a matter of time my friend.  And I bet it fails magnificently!  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

How so and after how many rounds, and do you have actual experience with a failure or is this just conjecture and hear-say?

For the price it is the best value on the market. Do your homework on the 1911 forums and you will see the customer service is Great and they are very accurate and very reliable 1911s, which can't be said for the other manufacturers. Yes there are more of the brand names out there but they also list many more problems. So why spend $800.00+ on a 1911with the same probabilities of failure as with a $300.00 1911. **But do stay away from the SAM and Charles Daily they are not the same. **

I'll bet that no one here can put up a comparable 1911(same stock items) and prove that the RIA is inferior to it. I am talking round for round until you cant shoot anymore or you run out of ammo, no cleaning or anything just mag changes. I wouldn't be surprised if it outperforms the majority of them as far as FTF or FTEs.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd be willing to bet that your average RIA 1911 buyer is not enthusiastic enough about 1911's to go to an online forum. I like the fact that they have good customer service though.

Cole, I saw you posted on 1911fourm about troubles with a Charles Daly 1911. Is this what you purchased in place of an RIA, or are you considering another? I still think you should give a Springfield GI a chance as they are cheap and a very good starting point for a custom, or just as a healthy plinker.

As for 1911 forum, I can't help but roll my eyes at the small group over their who "outperform every custom 1911 made with their RIA's". They may be good plinkers, but there's a reason that's all they're know as. If RIA's were as good as some of that small group implied, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Oh, and Charles Daly 1911's are Rock Island Armory/Armscor manufactured.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a Kimber, Colt, SA, and RIA.

Gotta say my RIA is the most reliable of the bunch! I love mine.

Soft metal? What a load of crap. You want to see soft metal go look at some WWII Colts and Remington Rands!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a Kimber, Colt, SA, and RIA.

Gotta say my RIA is the most reliable of the bunch! I love mine.
www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/22925RIARS-med.jpg

Soft metal? What a load of crap. You want to see soft metal go look at some WWII Colts and Remington Rands!!!

Sorry but I gotta call

Right back atcha buddy!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#24]
well, i asked the local smith about the "soft metal" issue..also called B.S. on it. said it wasn't FORGED,  but it damn sure aint soft metal.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

really, and what do you have to back that up, considering it's same design as every other 1911 out there, takes the same parts, fires the same ammo...so..how is it gonna fail. PLEASE tell me.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

really, and what do you have to back that up, considering it's same design as every other 1911 out there, takes the same parts, fires the same ammo...so..how is it gonna fail. PLEASE tell me.

I guess if a gun is not over-priced they are a POS in some peoples mind.

Hey, they work just as good if not better than the others.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Well well well. Got someone's panties in a wad didn't I?

You should try one as a hostile witness, SGB. Call bulshit all you want, but I went out on a lark and bought one for the hell of it. Damn thing works! If it didn't, I'd say so.

I have 1500rds through it with no problems. Damn thing feeds 230gr Corbon hps that neither my Colt, Kimber, or SA will, all day long. Damn thing shoots Wolf, shit ammo, that none of my 45's will feed! That includes: Sig 220's, HK Usp's, Kimbers, Colts, & SA's.

I like the SA too. But this damn cheap "soft metal POS" as you refer to it WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

So get off your high horse.

I've written about my RIA here before.

Flaws I see as follows:
Hammer bite.
Non Novak mags sticky releasing for a little while. That "problem" is gone now. Either the gun broke in or my mags broke in.
Sights are small.

Functionality has been perfect. As far as lemons go every gun out there has them.

Now, lets look at your post...

Not properly heat treated...
And you know this how?

Cast frame.
Same question.

Peening.
Seen plenty of Kimbers and Colts with peening.

Your probably one of those____ that needs to replace all his MIM parts because he read on the internet they were bad. Gawd man, if it aint broke, don't fuck with it. If it works be happy!!!

Get over yourself.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#29]
going, going, nowhere - has run its course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top