Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2005 8:42:10 AM EDT
Any good at all? I've been thinking of a .38 Super, but don't want a POS...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#1]
My honest opinion is that; overall they are pretty good.  When you decide to buy one have them pull out all of them and carefully inspect all of them and pick out the best out of the litter.  I bought two of them and the difference is like night and day the first one i bought was perfect fit and finnish it was all spec with all the aftermarket parts dropping right in.  I was so impressed that I bought a second one at the local gun store when it went on clearance, (there is a reason why it was on clearance).  The second one was machined poorly the specs was a bit off the roll mark was a bit crooked. So my advice is inspect thoroughly and compare.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#3]
99medic's account is very interesting.  I've seen RIAs that were very nice cosmetically, and seemed to be fit well.  I've seen some that looked to be machined by a far sighted 90 year old man with shaky hands and a raspy file.   From the standpoint of a leisure firearm, they are great if they look good.  I would never own one and bet my life on it without going through it thoroughly.  The only way I would buy one is if it was dirt cheap, as in $225 or under.  Here's why.

The frame and slide are cast, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but the machining is often times slightly out of spec.  The heat treat is often horrible.  This matters lieelt in a loose paper puncher, but the gun will get looser over time.  Frame pin holes for the hammer and sear pins are usually not perpendicular to the frame, and sometimes are off spec for location.  The barrels are always very soft.  No biggie on a gun that sees even a few thousand rounds throughout it's life, but as the round count goes up, expect serious durability issues regarding the barrel, the frame, and the slide wherever there is lug contact.  A gun that functions fine today might not in the future.  The saddest thing I've noticed about RIAs are the soft extractors and ejectors.  Also, most I've seen have very cheap springs.

So, you can get one and replace most of the parts, but even a low end Springfield will be of sufficent quality that you will not have an over abundance of soft parts, and the frame and slide will definitely not be out of spec.  Out of spec frame and slide rails, as well as out of spec pin holes, cannot be corrected.  Guns with heavy factory trigger pulls usually hide the out of spec pin holes, but you will be limited if you ever want to get a decent trigger job.

Like SGB says, get a Springfield.  Or, hand pick an RIA and worry about replacing the critical parts later, if you're on that tight a budget that you cannot spend the extra $50 on a Springfield.  I've actually seen two decent RIAs in all the dozens I've come across, so they are out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top