Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2016 3:45:35 PM EDT
Bought one of these a couple of weeks ago.  Went with the full size Ultra single-stack model.  Armscor  I plan to add a .38 Super barrel for it some time soon.

I took it to the range for its first workout last week and I'm quite pleased with it.  The fit and finish seem good and it is nice and tight.  I shot it first as a 9mm to get it starting to break in.  I put 65 rounds of Rem/UMC through it without any issues at all.  Never experienced and failure of any kind with 9mm, including the factory mag or the two CMC/Shooting star mags (all 10 rounders).  

The entire 65 rounds at 30 feet, fired slow to moderately quick.

Recoil is super easy to manage.  The trigger feels very nice.

Next I switched to 22 TCM by replacing the barrel and recoil spring.  BIG fireball!  Also still very easy to shoot with minimal recoil despite that big blast.  The 22 TCM grouping was a little looser than the 9mm, but still quite acceptable.  I think getting used to the atomic fireball will help shrink groups.

Here's the first 3 shots offhand at 30 feet (yup...two in one hole and about 1/2 inch spred...shoulda stopped right there).

And more shots on target, with the centered group being after I finished adjusting the sights.  Not to make excuses, but I was also getting kinda tired after a long-ish shooting session.

I did have an issue with the TCM, but not the fault of the gun or ammo.  The factory supplied magazine worked 100% both fully loaded with 10 and half loaded at 5 (range rules...I loaded 5 empties to get a full mag).  The CMC mags both worked 100% when loaded with 5, but when I tested using 10, the top round would nose-dive INTO the mag.  It was not leaving the mag and hitting the feed ramp.  When downloaded to 7, they seemed to work just fine.  The factory mag appears to be a Metalform one with a round-top follower.  The CMCs have their standard flat follower.  I'm not sure if it is the round-top follower that makes the factory mag work, or if it is something else.  I understand that the 17-round model uses slightly altered feedlips.  I'll have to compare these to each other.  I'm not seeing much talk about the 10-round version of the gun and its mags on the Interwebs though, so any thoughts here would be appreciated.  The factory mags run $40-45, BTW.  CMC and standard 38 Super mags can be had for $20 - 35.

The only other "issue" I had is that I HATE the ambidextrous safety.  When taking up the pistol in a shooting grip, the knuckles on my right hand often knock the safety partly up into the SAFE position, locking the trigger.  I'm going to need to swap this for a standard safety.  Any suggestions?

Any and all comments are welcome.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that a single stack?
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  10 rounds as shipped with an extended base pad.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#3]
How big is the fire ball?

5 Rounds seems like a strange rule.

Try gripping the pistol with your thumb on top of the safety.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 12:20:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How big is the fire ball?

5 Rounds seems like a strange rule.

Try gripping the pistol with your thumb on top of the safety.
View Quote

The one I shot (friends) in Vegas last month had a fireball "ring"  about 8" in diameter. Freaking sounds like a hand cannon, but very little recoil. After shooting it, my wife says she wanted one. She has her own 1911 and likes that model of pistol. So it'll be the next pistol I buy. Local place stocks 22TCM, but I'll probably just buy a case online.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 1:09:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for the late response.  8" seems about right for the fireball.

For semi-autos, they allow 5 in the mag for centerfire and 10 for rimfire.  In most situations, it isn't a big deal.  It IS a big deal when trying to test new guns or new magazines for full function.

Rob
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got the call from my FFL, the Mid Sized Ultra I bought from Bud's just showed up. Hate when Bud's ships without an email notification of it being shipped. Ordered it a couple days ago.

Out of town for the week
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm on the fence right now about this gun in 2011 mode. I'm not sure if I will go the combo or go the .45acp way. I have 9mm dies still but no 9mm ammo or projectiles or brass and only about 200 SP primers. I have about 400 .45acp projectiles, plus loaded ammo and about 500 cases of .45acp, plus I have about 1500 LP primers.

Right now I have an RIA single stack, with Arnell at Armscor having done a trigger job, hand fit slide / barrel / EGW barrel bushing / upgraded barrel, along with a spring steel extractor and a complete action job. I have three CMC mags and two factory ones. I want more capacity, but I have so much .45acp stuff I may stick with the .45acp, and 14 rounds is plenty. of course 5 more rounds of 9mm is mo betta, and the TCM fireball show would be a lot of fun too. Switching over, mags won't matter because either way it will be double stack and I'll need new ones.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:45:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm on the fence right now about this gun in 2011 mode. I'm not sure if I will go the combo or go the .45acp way. I have 9mm dies still but no 9mm ammo or projectiles or brass and only about 200 SP primers. I have about 400 .45acp projectiles, plus loaded ammo and about 500 cases of .45acp, plus I have about 1500 LP primers.

Right now I have an RIA single stack, with Arnell at Armscor having done a trigger job, hand fit slide / barrel / EGW barrel bushing / upgraded barrel, along with a spring steel extractor and a complete action job. I have three CMC mags and two factory ones. I want more capacity, but I have so much .45acp stuff I may stick with the .45acp, and 14 rounds is plenty. of course 5 more rounds of 9mm is mo betta, and the TCM fireball show would be a lot of fun too. Switching over, mags won't matter because either way it will be double stack and I'll need new ones.
View Quote

I have a RIA CS GI 45ACP, that I have had about 3k rnds through,  probably needs a new recoil spring by now. Replaced the slide stop a couple years ago due to it not holding the slide back. Wife has a CS Tac, and I have a FS Tac that I jumped on a couple years ago when we did that deal thread here. This 22TCM combo will be number 4. I like that the RIA pistols are a good gun compared to purchase price. Plus it's basically two guns in one, a little pricey at around $600, but dang, that fireball is cool.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Their factory magazines are notorious IMHO.  

You can try to smooth the lips with some type of lapping/mild sandpaper or compound (smooth the direction of the cartridge), or find the Wilson equivalent.  Usually, one round less will work to till the magazine is broken in (spring weakens a bit).  

I had a huge 3-4 part writeup here on the RIA Commander that I tuned up to feed reliably from a full mag plus 1 in the chamber-but one of the keys was getting Wilson magazines.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
<-----Rock Island/Armscor dealer

Also available in full size double stack.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.  10 rounds as shipped with an extended base pad.

Rob
<-----Rock Island/Armscor dealer

Also available in full size double stack.  

Got any deals on factory 10rnd mags

I thought about the 17rnd model, but IIRC you can't change the grips on those. Plus I love the feel of a single stack 1911. (But I primarily carry a G19 )
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Since I was in the area (Las Vegas), decided to run out to the AmmoSupplyWarehouse Pahrump NV, and bought a case of 22TCM, and a couple 10rnd mags.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the double stack TCM TAC Ultra FS HC Combo - 22TCM/9mm (model 51947), and it is very well made and built like a tank.

Due to the frame being made of made of steel and having a the cut for a fully ramped barrel,  I am able to run the 9x23 Winchester barrel as well. My hand loads are 124gr XTP's at 1510 fps with 1.5"-2" groups at 25yd.

I also have a 7.62x25 barrel; the down side I can not run factory loads; the rounds have to be hand loaded and the OAL must be made to fit the magazine. These typically consist of 71gr (32acp) projectiles pushing 1600 fps.

The great thing about this gun is the standard magazine works for all of these rounds... Only requiring a barrel and spring swap.

I have also found that the model I have uses a different magazine base than the standard double stack which allows for (1) additional round to fit in the magazine. Although they advertise it as a (17) round magazine mine will hold (18) with no issues.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Brought mine home from the ffl today and gave it a cleaning then hit the range.
The first round of the third mag of 22TCM I had a failure to extract, then on the first round of the 5th mag the same thing. Had to pull the firing pin and spring, then back the extractor out to get it to go into full battery to get the barrel bushing to rotate enough to disassemble the slide and barrel. Then had to prey the case out with a small Allen wrench since I didn't have a flat blade screw driver or cleaning rod. After the second time I didn't have anymore issues for the rest of the 100rnds. No visible issues with either case, maybe needs a extractor tension adjustment.

9mm went smoothly and no issues for a 100rnds.

Both calibers were accurate, and sight adjustment was easy to get them to shoot POA. Did notice that at 35yds the 9mm POI is a bit higher then the 22TCM. But at 10yds both shot to POA.

Overall I'm pleased. I'll shoot a few 100 more 22TCM rounds through it to see if the extracting issue goes away before calling Armscor.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top