Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/31/2007 10:05:05 AM EDT
so, ive asked general questions, but im looking for opinions and information on RIA's specifically. anybody here have one? reliability? accuracy? any opinions are appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine has been totally reliable with Wolf ball ammo and has decent combat accuracy, 3-4 inches at 7-10 yards. As a plinker/range pistol I do not think they can be beat.

Link Posted: 12/31/2007 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a cheap copy of a 1911A1 with a lowered/flared ejection port, and a "expect to get what you pay for" item. Some people have been very pleased with what that modest sum has delivered, but that should be considered a pleasant surprise instead of an expectation. Expect hit or miss fit and finish as well as accuracy, which should be done with any production 1911 < $700.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
so, ive asked general questions, but im looking for opinions and information on RIA's specifically. anybody here have one? reliability? accuracy? any opinions are appreciated.

I have never owned one and most likely never will but opinions here vary from POS to "better than a Colt !" If I were going to buy an entry level 1911, it would most likely be a Springfield. YMMV and my comments are worth just what you paid for them (as is an RIA).
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's a cheap copy of a 1911A1 with a lowered/flared ejection port, and a "expect to get what you pay for" item. Some people have been very pleased with what that modest sum has delivered, but that should be considered a pleasant surprise instead of an expectation. Expect hit or miss fit and finish as well as accuracy, which should be done with any production 1911 < $700.

Wow, harsh words for the Rock.  My question is, "Do you own one?"  I do.  I like mine enough and trust it enough to carry it as my self defense pistol.  As a matter of fact, when I can find a compact tactical (think Kimber Pro Carry), I'm gonna buy it, and then I'm gonna carry it.

If you go look at m1911.org you'll find a BUNCH of guys who just love them.  You'll also find Ivan Wolcot who is the North American rep.  If you DO get a problem child of a pistol, he'll make it right faster than you can say "customer service".

Try one, you will like it.  You just can't have mine cuz I trust my life to it.

Kurt

PS, feel free to IM or email me with specific questions.

Link Posted: 12/31/2007 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Wow, harsh words for the Rock.  

You haven't been arond here long if you consider those "harsh words". Those are objective words that neither deride or hype the RIA. If one buys the RIA with eyes open along the lines I have described, they will have a hard time being disappointed and still have wiggle room for pleasant surprise.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Cast Philippine junk.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one that I picked up from a buddy about a year ago.  It will shoot ANY ball I have tried through it.  And mine works well with speer gold dot 185

Here is a pic with his brother.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#8]
That's not harsh, it's true. Quite a few people are happy with them, but the fact is that ~$300 doesn't buy you much in the fit & finish & accuracy department and that's okay IMO.
Saying "you get what you pay for" isn't harsh, it's just a fact.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Well after carrying/shooting issue 1911s in the service, my RIA is nice. I bought the Tactical model and haven't had any problems with it. Of coarse it isn't a fancy top of the line pistol but for the money they are hard to beat. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Here is a link with a lot of good info on them: forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Cast Philippine junk.

yea you obviusly have never owned or used one. They are excellent pistols and works great.. Dont try to justify the fact that you over payed for a pistol that is the same quality as a 300 dollar pistol. Rock Island Armory is an excellent pistol.. buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cast Philippine junk.

yea you obviusly have never owned or used one. They are excellent pistols and works great.. Dont try to justify the fact that you over payed for a pistol that is the same quality as a 300 dollar pistol. Rock Island Armory is an excellent pistol.. buy with confidence.

You are the one trying to justify your purchase.  You have no clue what kind of pistols I own.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay, saying it's the "same quality" as others (implying what? Colt, Kimber Springfield?) is a little much. Decent for $300? Few that own them will disagree with that, but same as the big guys? Certainly not.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, harsh words for the Rock.  

You haven't been arond here long if you consider those "harsh words". Those are objective words that neither deride or hype the RIA. If one buys the RIA with eyes open along the lines I have described, they will have a hard time being disappointed and still have wiggle room for pleasant surprise.

The forum he is referencing limited my privileges for the use of the word "crap."  Take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I dont know much about the these 1911's, but I remember when the norinco's first came out. Everyone was calling them cheap pieces of chinese crap. Turns out they were made of high quality steel and ended up being outstanding guns for less than 300 bucks. sure they wont hold their value like a high quality gun, but if you cant afford one and wanted a shooter it was a good deal.  I agree that you get what you pay for, but sometimes you can find a good deal. It really depends on what you want to use the gun for and what your expectations are...
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 6:41:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I dont know much about the these 1911's, but I remember when the norinco's first came out. Everyone was calling them cheap pieces of chinese crap. Turns out they were made of high quality steel and ended up being outstanding guns for less than 300 bucks. sure they wont hold their value like a high quality gun, but if you cant afford one and wanted a shooter it was a good deal.  I agree that you get what you pay for, but sometimes you can find a good deal. It really depends on what you want to use the gun for and what your expectations are...

Great point. I have owned and shot a few Rock Islands and they are fine for what they are, a mil spec 1911. If you want a base weapon to customize get something else. If you just want a GI style 1911 for use with ball they are great. In my experience 100% reliable with ball, never tried anything else.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Wasn't it Alex Hamilton of Ten-Ring Precision who recently reviewed the Rock Islands and said they compared very well to Springfield's WWII?  
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Believe it or not, there were plenty of guys saying the same thing about the Springfield 1911's when they hit the market twenty years ago.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 7:27:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Get your hands on one, if you have a friend that has one to try all the better. pulpsmack gave me advice in the past when I bought my first 1911, tear it a part and inspect everything top to bottom you will see the difference from pistol to pistol. I did not want to drop a ton of money but I also half-way quality. You won't know what a $2,500 pistol feels like compared to a $300 pistol unless you try it. I ended up going with a used Kimber tle II. I used it for a while got it up graded. Not everyone will agree with me purchasing the kimber but it was fine for me at the time. Hell for $300 get one use it save up for a $800 1911. If anything it will be a nice f*ck around pistol. Goodluck.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a RIA Tactical & it's a hundred times better than the POS Springfield Mil-spec I had.  It looks nice & shoots too POA.  It's my woods & hunting gun.  I put my life on it so that should say something about it.  I would buy another one w/ no problems.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:While I'll agree they appear to be fine for what they are, they are a far cry from being Military Spec.

Poor wording on my part. I should have said "GI style" 1911.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I own an RIA .45, and to be honest, their quality is above par when compared to the Springfield Mil Spec stuff. I previously owned the SA MicroCompact GI and the Fully Loaded GI versions, both of which had to be tuned right out of the box before they would fire a complete magazine without a malfunction. The SA MicroCompact was so flawed, I actually took it back to the dealer and traded it in on a Kimber UCII. I later traded my SA Fully Loaded in on a Kimber Stainless II.

Now, I have several hundred rounds though my RIA without a single malfunction whatsoever. Either I bought crappy SA products or I purchased a really good RIA. I doubt very seriously that I have such bad luck when choosing handguns, so I believe that the RIA is simply a better made weapon than lower level Springfield products.

The RIAs are not equal to upper-tier .45s, such as Kimber or Colt. But I would personally choose an RIA over an SA product any day.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Comparing a $300 Norinco from 1990 to a $300 RIA of 2007 does not work. A better comparison is to a HiPoint.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Comparing a $300 Norinco from 1990 to a $300 RIA of 2007 does not work. A better comparison is to a HiPoint.

HiPoints cost $300 now? So in your first hand experience handling and firing the Rock Island what is so horrible about it? Other then the GI style features that are intentional such as the grip safety, sights, etc.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#27]
It appears you did not understand my cost vs. inflation statement. A $300 RIA in 2007 dollars does not equal a $300 Norinco in 1990 dollars. Since you always get what you pay for, the only other comarable firearm is a HiPoint.

No, I don't shoot pistols whose accuracy is limited to 3-4" at 7-10 yards as reported by the OP. I prefer 1911's that group inside an inch at 15 yards. I would not throw $300 away on a RIA. I would rather look for a used Springer. At least I'd be getting a forged frame and slide, something with potential for a future build.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#28]
ive put about 1000 threw mine and only had a few failure to feeds but that could be attributed to the Magazine i bought at a local store. I replaced the spring in it and then i have no problems.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#29]
They are very accurate pistols the RIA i get 3 to 4 inch groups at 20 yards.. im real sick of people talking about firearms they dont own or have ever used.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#30]
I've got one,

for what they are, they're decent pistols for the price, mine ran me $310 OTD from a local shop,

I did have to replace the recoil spring at approx 500 rounds when the factory one went flat, replaced it with a wolff 18lb,

after the initial spring issue it's been reliable thus far for 2k+ additional rounds with 200gr LSWC handloads,

I also bobbed the hammer back a bit, it had a serious case of hammer bite, I didn't want to spend the money to buy a commander style hammer, so a few minutes with a dremel fixed the issue,

and mine will only drop free the 8 round novak mags they come with and SA 7 round mags; CMC and wilson mags will not drop free from the mag well, feed/fire functioning is fine with these, they just have to be pulled free from the mag well loaded/unloaded.

would I buy another, sure, but I wouldn't pay anymore than what I paid for the one I've got,

I see them in local shops now, and the asking price is real close to 4 bills (would be over 4 with tax), which is a bit too much for me to spend on a base "GI style" 1911,

if I'm going to spend $400+ on a 1911, it's gonna have to have a good set of combat style sights, not the the dinky hard to see in low light "GI sights", and it's gotta be able to funtion/drop free properly with any brand of mags.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#31]
You don't have to own or use something to form an opinion about it. I went to the gun store. I picked-up a RIA. I thought, "This gun looks cheap. It feels cheap. It is made from cheap materials. I am not going to buy it." I did not buy it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cast Philippine junk.

I have owned one. My experience with it showed me that it was Filipino turds heated until they solidified and then molded to shape. The slide started peening the frame within a hundred rounds. I put another 50 rounds through it and sold it for scrap. It most certainly was not on par with my Kimber or Springfields.

Link Posted: 1/1/2008 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#33]
I think you have to think of the gun's intended use. For 300 bucks do you expect it to be a les baer? - I sure wouldnt,

Would I send it off to get custom work done to it - nope

As long as it feeds and functions and the person buying it likes it - then what's the big deal?

check it out - I wouldnt buy one - but if you like it and it fits your budget then buy it
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#34]

The slide started peening the frame within a hundred rounds. I put another 50 rounds through it and sold it for scrap. It most certainly was not on par with my Kimber or Springfields.

How can that be? Do you mean to say that a $300 pistol can possibly be made from inferior materials???
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#35]
There are some guys who have 20,000 rounds threw there RIA theyre slide wasnt peening. But if your was I would have sent it back for replacement the customer service is outstanding.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
There are some guys who have 20,000 rounds threw there RIA theyre slide wasnt peening. But if your was I would have sent it back for replacement the customer service is outstanding.

I've since determined that they seem to be more than willing to help. However, the proceeds from a cheap RIA purchased me a Springfield Loaded that has never given my reason to doubt it.

I'll stick with what I know works.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
There are some guys who have 20,000 rounds threw there RIA theyre slide wasnt peening.

That's because they are shooting target loads and a Wilson shock-buffs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#38]
I have had mine for about 4-5 years and it still works great.

Friend has one to, also no issues.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm not trying to hurt anyones feelings.

I'm an active IPSC shooter, and it's common for me to run well over 10,000 rounds thru a gun in a year.

For me,  it's worthwhile to spend more for a quality CNC machined custom hardchromed blaster.

By the time you spend money on travel, hotel, match fees,  etc.  It wouldn't make sense to try to run a cheap cast pistol.

Even with high quality stuff,  it makes sense to bring along spare parts etc.

My advise would be to spend a bit more, get a basic Springfield or Kimber Series I, and have it built up exactly the way you want.

Happy New Year !

Link Posted: 1/1/2008 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Im not going to argue with you. Its cheap yes but the quality is outstanding. Everyone has there own opinion.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Im not going to argue with you. Its cheap yes but the quality is outstanding. Everyone has there own opinion.

c.mon man, decent for $300 sure, but "the quality is outstanding"? I wouldn't even say that the big 3 have "outstanding quality". That is reserved for the semi-customs & customs IMO.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#42]
"No, I don't shoot pistols whose accuracy is limited to 3-4" at 7-10 yards as reported by the OP. I prefer 1911's that group inside an inch at 15 yards."

Actually, that was my reply that you are talking about, and not the OPs. The 3-4" at 7-10 yards will be more my fault and the ammos than the pistols. The RIA follows the original dimensional specs of the 1911 with the loose tolerances that were designed to run ball ammo with excellent reliability. That results in combat accuracy. I would prefer to shoot 1911s that are capable of less than a inch at 15 yards as well. Finding a stock 1911 that will do that for less than 3 times what you pay for a RIA is exceedingly unlikely.

I understand the opinions of the gunsmiths that have tried to work on RIAs, especially early ones. I do not understand the people who bad mouth them without owning one or the people who have had problems but did not take advantage of what has been reported as excellent customer service. If you do not give the company the chance to make it right then you do not have the right to throw stones. Of course, that is just my opinion.

Link Posted: 1/1/2008 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Guns made from castings, generally are not outstanding. They are average at best.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#44]
if i got a RIA, which at this point i dont think i will, i would get the Tactical. but, what do you think i could get a used Springer or Kimber for? my true love are Kimber's, but i wasnt wantin to spend that much now. but, i think if i can find one of the mentioned for like 500, i will wait a bit. and yes, i do plan on putting custom work into it, so the RIA is out of the picture i guess
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great point. I have owned and shot a few Rock Islands and they are fine for what they are, a mil spec 1911. If you want a base weapon to customize get something else. If you just want a GI style 1911 for use with ball they are great. In my experience 100% reliable with ball, never tried anything else.

While I'll agree they appear to be fine for what they are, they are a far cry from being Military Spec.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong in this post. Armscorp (RIA) started producing 1911s after WWII using the U.S. GI design. Sometime in the 1960's they started supplying PI LE and MIL with their products, then the rest of SE Asia. If you are a Sailor or Marine you have probably trained with or at least seen Cambodians, Thais, Laotians and others in the SE Asia area who carry Armscorp products including 1911s. Some Philippine peace keeping troops (officers) carried then in to Haiti as recently as 2004. It may not be U.S Mil Spec, but it is Mil Spec.

Most developing countries make their police and military purchase their own weapons. That’s why you’ll see more Armscorp, FM, and Taurus weapons on the sides of cops and military working in the world’s shitboxes than you will Springfield or Kimber.

I now own 2 RIAs. I am not going to shoot IPSIC, I am not breaching the door with an HRT, I don’t need one ragged hole at 10 meters and I don’t need to impress Bob in the cubical next to me. I need something that will get lead on a target quickly and RELIABLY between 3 and 7 meeters. I don’t need 30 lpi, a tungsten 4 piece guide-rod, a deep blue or pink duracoat finish and a barrel/bushing fitted so tight it will affect reliability.

Ask yourself what do I need this firearm for? Then decide what to do with your money.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Guns made from castings, generally are not outstanding. They are average at best.

This statement is based on what?  Caspian has been making very high quality frames out of castings for years and many of the best 1911 'smiths in the world build on these frames.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#47]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

While I'll agree they appear to be fine for what they are, they are a far cry from being Military Spec. hinking.gif

Someone correct me if I'm wrong in this post. Armscorp (RIA) started producing 1911s after WWII using the U.S. GI design. Sometime in the 1960's they started supplying PI LE and MIL with their products, then the rest of SE Asia. If you are a Sailor or Marine you have probably trained with or at least seen Cambodians, Thais, Laotians and others in the SE Asia area who carry Armscorp products including 1911s. Some Philippine peace keeping troops (officers) carried then in to Haiti as recently as 2004. It may not be U.S Mil Spec, but it is Mil Spec.

Most developing countries make their police and military purchase their own weapons. That’s why you’ll see more Armscorp, FM, and Taurus weapons on the sides of cops and military working in the world’s shitboxes than you will Springfield or Kimber.

I now own 2 RIAs. I am not going to shoot IPSIC, I am not breaching the door with an HRT, I don’t need one ragged hole at 10 meters and I don’t need to impress Bob in the cubical next to me. I need something that will get lead on a target quickly and RELIABLY between 3 and 7 meeters. I don’t need 30 lpi, a tungsten 4 piece guide-rod, a deep blue or pink duracoat finish and a barrel/bushing fitted so tight it will affect reliability.

Ask yourself what do I need this firearm for? Then decide what to do with your money.
now that, was the best arguement for the RIA ive ever heard. so, seeing as you mentioned it, how accurate are they? i really dont know now....damn you and all yall's good points . i do want reliability, i do want the ability to add accessories, like better barrels, grips, guide rods, and the such, and i dont want to spend $1200 on a Kimber (right now).... idk, i found a Kimber Custom II for around $650, is that an average price? i might get the RIA, but if i can get a good enough deal on a Springer or Kimber, i might do that. but, the reliability is an issue for me, and the RIA seems to win in that department....
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#48]
honestly if you are looking at customizing it down the road. I would go with something like a springfield or kimber. if you ever decide to sell it, someone would rather purchase a kimber/springfield etc.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#50]
im just gonna see what happens at the fun show on the 20th.

also, whoever has one, post it up :) i would love to see a non GI type RIA
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top