Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2010 7:10:30 AM EDT
Going to Colorado from Texas for spring break, Am a CHL holder in Texas,I knwo that I can legally carry in these states, but i am  looking for advice on laws in other states or point me in the direction of your states Concealed Carry laws(only interested in OK,NM, and CO), Also wanting to know about interstate transport of firearms(shown below) vs concealed carry laws, I do not read of an exemption so does this mean that at each state line I must place my gun in a locked container before crossing? can never be sure about these federal laws

TITLE 18 PART I CHAPTER 44 § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 7:24:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I am interested to know these things if their is any strange laws us Texans should know about in our neighbor states.  I would not want to violate one of the laws they have I would rather be legal and represent out state and not make a fool of it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 7:32:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#3]
http://handgunlaw.us/

Colorado only recognizes resident licenses.  If you're a TX resident you must have a TX carry permit/license.

What you posted looks like either part of FOPA or a state transportation statute, either of which is superseded by carry authorization.

Just read the info for each state that you plan to travel to, you have to obey the local carry requirements and restrictions wherever you go.
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 6:00:22 AM EDT
[#4]
the interstate transport issue was my main concern(fed law), yeah ive got texas resident license  so im good to go in all the states, thanks for the replies
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#5]
You can only conceal one gun on your person while in New Mexico.
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#6]
good to know, thanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Interesting.. couldn't find this when I looked.  Got a pointer?
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I thought New Mexico would be an WIDE OPEN carry state.  Learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#9]
New Mexico has the best firearms laws (or lack thereof) of any of the many states that I have lived in.

You vehicle is considered an extension of your home and you are legally protected to carry as many firearms as you wish, concealed or open, in your vehicle, whether you have a permit or not.  

There is no duty to inform if you have an LEO interaction unless they specifically ask.

Open carry is permitted.  TX CCW is reciprocated.

Main thing that you will want to be aware that differs from texas is carry into places that sell alcohol.  So long as you have a recognized permit you are permitted to carry into an establishment that sells alcohol for off premise consumption (must be concealed not open carried though).  However, you may not carry, open or concealed, into any establishment that sells alcohol for on-premise consumption.  Unfortunately this includes most restaraunts which is ridiculous.  I've yet to meet any CCWer who actually obeys this law when dinning out (except me ) and a large percentage of LEO would probably not bust you for it if somehow you were made (assuming you are not being an assclown and depending on which part of the state you are in).  We are working to get this changed to something similar to the TX 50% revenue rule (which would effectively allow CCW into restaraunts but not bars which is much more reasonable).

I think that about covers what you will need to know for NM.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.. couldn't find this when I looked.  Got a pointer?

This is in fact true.  It is written on my CCW permit.

"Licensee shall carry only one concealed handgun at any given time (29-19-12.C.4 NMSA 1978)
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a Texas CCW permit while living in Texas. Now I am living in Colorado and have a permit here. A couple of things I learned are different when it comes to using a CCW. In Texas any blow to the face or neck is considered deadly force. Not so in Colorado. Colorado looks closely at disparity of force situations. Texas now wisely states that it is not brandishing a firearm if you draw and do not have to shoot. This was not the case early on when Texas first started issuing CCW permits. However, in Colorado, brandishing is a real possibility if you draw just to show you have a handgun to try and diffuse a bad situation.

Colorado CCW permits only apply to handguns.

In Colorado you can have a loaded handgun in your vehicle without a CCW. There is no "travelling" requirement like it use to be in Texas.

NAD
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#12]
OP...you should be GTG in Oklahoma....Our licence reciprocates with Texas.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#13]
thanks for all the help guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top