Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 6:18:43 AM EDT
I'm converting a compact and fullsize to v9 because, well, c&l rules.

Is it considered safe to ride the safety on a v9 to help counter recoil, as one might do with a 1911?  My only concern is repeated recoil stress on the safety mechanism; don't want to damage anything.  I suspect it's perfectly OK to do but figured I'd ask some of you v9 guys whether you do it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Is it considered safe to ride the safety on a v9 to help counter recoil,

A) Riding the safety on any gun is not a good idea, IMO.

B) If recoil is such a problem, then you've got too large a caliber, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A) Riding the safety on any gun is not a good idea, IMO.

Works fine on 1911s.  Tell me why you think it's a bad idea, I'd like to know good information on why or why not.

B) If recoil is such a problem, then you've got too large a caliber, IMO.

I didn't say it's a problem, but countering it as much as possible seems to be a good idea to me.

Actually, it has more to do with the fact that that spot is where my thumb naturally wants to "be", and pulling down with it is a natural occurance.

Do you own a variant 9/10 USP?  I'm looking for advice from folks who own variant 9s and whether or not they consider this to be harmful to the gun.  I'm really not looking for opinions on shooting form or caliber selection.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried it on my uspf v1, my thumbs must be long for  the slide stop stopped working when I rode the saftey.
2nd I found it uncomfortable compared to a 1911.

resting your thumb on the 1911 is the best way to add more control the 1911 style. The closer you can get the bore to be in line with your arm the less muzzel flip you will have.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on converting to V9. I think you'll find that you do not miss the decocker at all.

I own a full size .45, V9 from the start. 5000 rounds in 6 months, riding the safety the whole way. I will let you know if the lever ever breaks or malfunctions.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm running 2V9 USPs, both in .45 (TAC and Compact).  I don't ride the saftey, but only because I don't consider it the best way to grip.  Mechanically, it should be fine.

My reason for favoring the V9 is that it is too easy to accidentally de-cock a V1 when disengaging the saftey under stress.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm running 2V9 USPs, both in .45 (TAC and Compact).  I don't ride the saftey, but only because I don't consider it the best way to grip.  Mechanically, it should be fine.

My reason for favoring the V9 is that it is too easy to accidentally de-cock a V1 when disengaging the saftey under stress.

+1

That's one of the major reasons I want it -- it's too damn easy to accidentally push down on the decocker.  What's worse than accidentally decocking the thing is half-decocking it.  Renders the whole gun useless.

I did that very thing at an IDPA match actually.

Quoted:
Congrats on converting to V9. I think you'll find that you do not miss the decocker at all.

I own a full size .45, V9 from the start. 5000 rounds in 6 months, riding the safety the whole way. I will let you know if the lever ever breaks or malfunctions.

That's music to my ears, Vinh.  Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks a lot for the input, guys!  I definitely think I'm going to like the v9.  Honestly, I don't know why I didn't convert sooner -- I like single action guns, this gun has a safety -- duh!  I believe HK designed the USP to be carried c&l but added a double action trigger pull so they could sell it to more police departments.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I switched to V-9 on a .45acp USP. Best thing I ever did. Several times at the range I accidentaly de-cocked the pistol during recoil while riding the safety. If you cut your teeth on 1911's, riding the safety is instinctive, accidentaly disabling your pistol is unacceptable.
With H&K's high bore axis, having your thumb up high does help reduce muzzle flip. It was quick and easy to swap detent plates. I got the parts from hkpartsonline.com.
My new USP9mmf is getting the same treatment.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Works fine on 1911s.  Tell me why you think it's a bad idea, I'd like to know good information on why or why not.

It's not conductive for a good shooting handhold, IMO. I realize there's a gazillion different holds for everyone, but riding the safety isn't one of them, IMO.

I didn't say it's a problem, but countering it as much as possible seems to be a good idea to me.

Suit yourself, sir.  

Do you own a variant 9/10 USP?

As all USP's can be chaged from one varient to another, all are obviously capable of being one varient or another. So, no, I keep mine in Varient 1 as I prefer the decock option for these models.

I'm looking for advice from folks who own variant 9s and whether or not they consider this to be harmful to the gun.  I'm really not looking for opinions on shooting form or caliber selection.

Then you got the bonus plan.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If you cut your teeth on 1911's, riding the safety is instinctive,

Not necessarily, IMO. In fact, many instructors will dissuade shooters from using a "high thumb" grip for a variety of reasons, having the slide hitting the thumb chief among them. I've personally seen that happen, it wasn't a pretty sight.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Not necessarily, IMO. In fact, many instructors will dissuade shooters from using a "high thumb" grip for a variety of reasons, having the slide hitting the thumb chief among them. I've personally seen that happen, it wasn't a pretty sight.

Ouch.

I've seen people put their weak hand on top of the strong one and get nailed by the slide.  That's never good.  I typically have a high grip on my pistols and I don't mind the slide rubbing me a little.  The way I hold a glock I get a little rash on top of my hand between thumb and finger where the slide rubs me a little.

But I've inspected the slide on the USP and I don't think there's anything that'll snag me too bad on it if I ride the safety hard.  The grip makes it hard for me to get any part of my hand behind the slide, fortunately.

I do appreciate your input, sir.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top