Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 11:24:10 PM EDT
Is there an advantage to eithor? Is an unfluted stronger then a fluted cylinder? Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Fluting is usually betweenthe charge holes in the cylinder.  The weakest spot is hole-to-hole, and in some designe the index cut.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Short answer is, yes, the non-fluted ones are stronger.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys! What is the purpose of the flutes?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Reduced weight.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reduced weight.

So does it have a large effect on overall gun strength? Or does the frame have a bigger roll in strength?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The really big boomers have unfluted cylinders because they need it. Lesser calibers don't need it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:54:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I think alot of it has to do with "style".  The fact that this feature costs less to make is a bonus as the manufactuer can save money and keep in style at the same time.  I think that's why you see it on alot of revlovers that don't need them.

I'll agree that there may be some cylinders that benfit from this.  Many however do not benifit as there is already a weaker spot in the cylider, and the only reasons for a non-fluted cylinder is style and cost.

Since it costs less, I expect the style to be in fashion as long as possible if the manufacturer has anything to do with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top