Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2005 8:45:53 PM EDT
How many people have a revolver for their primary defensive/go to gun?  If so, what make/model?  I do own revolvers but currently my go to gun is a Glock 19 but am considering switching to .357 in a quality revolver.  Thoughts on revolver/.357mag as a primary handgun?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, here I go, IMHO the a Good quality revolver is more accurate and more reliable than any automatic.  If you practice with it with good quality speed loaders you can be a match for any automatic made. I prefer S&W M686 6"

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#2]
My two main goto weapons are a Schofield revovler in .45 colt and a SAA also in .45 colt, they are nicely pointable and pack a bit of a wallop.

After that I woudl grab a 1911 or maybe even my CZ75, but the revovlers are first choice, they are user friendly, always go bang, never jam, and the Schofield is a fast relaoder.

I am hpoing on not needing mroe than 12 rounds in a fight in my house anyways
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know how much you want to pay, but the Ultimate .357 wheelgun ever, is the Colt Python.  Look at one.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#4]
A move to a wheel gun would be a good one in my mind.  What frame size you get really depends on what you intend the gun to be.  If its a home/bed stand gun I'd look for a L or N frame as those will digest the stoutest of .357 magnum loads.   For carry purposes I'm a very big fan of the K frame model 65 or model 13.  My 65-5 3" round butt is a very effective combat handgun which impressed numerous people at my CCW class and at the range with its capabilities.  Its accurate, reliable and delivers a hard hitting round.  All three things which are important to me.

Also I've found that wheelgunners seem to have a bit of an aura around them at the range (at least I did at my ccw class) in terms of other folks assuming that the wheelgunner knows what they're up...  Kinda fun in my book.  

But, best of luck in your search, I do not believe you can go wrong with a good magnum revolver for a combat gun.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:28:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry a Colt Detective Special.  I like the action on the Colt guns, and while they are slightly bigger in frame size than the J-frame S&W, they still seem to be as concealable.  I have to admit that the S&W airweight centenial is definately an easy to conceal piece though.

People's needs vary, but I really don't see needing a high capacity auto for my civillian use.  It has to be pretty bad for me to go for a gun in the first place, and likely it will be over pretty fast one way or the other.  It's not like I live in Baghdad or something.  I'm also not a cop or in the military, so I'm not going to be attacking insurgent strongholds, or trying to arrest felons, or do anything but get my ass out of a bad spot that I should have avoided in the first place, run from in the second place, and only use that gun as a last resort.  I have no problem with the revolver meeting my needs.

A wheelgun is very instinctive for me to use.  I have alot of experience with revolvers, and I usually shoot a revolver in any competition.  Don't get into thinking they can't jam.  They can just like any other gun.  They may be less likely to do so than an auto, but I've seen it and had it happen to me.  Still, the DS has been 100%, and I'm comfortable with it.  It's also an easy gun to carry and live with.

A revolver is a great choice.  Just choose a good one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#6]
You wouldn't be gaining much by switching to a 357.  A 44 isn't that much larger and it gives you huge a huge gain in stoping power.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I carry two wheelguns most of the time.  I have a 4" GP100 on the hip and a S&W 642 in a pocket.  I've got lots of semis, but keep coming back to the revolvers.  Carry what you are comfortable with and can shoot well.  Just because all of the magazines and tv shows pimp the semis, doesn't mean a revolver is a bad choice.  

Don't follow the flock.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been around the block with wheel guns .
Years ago I carried a Charter Arms bulldog. Great concept (5 round 44 sp in a snubby ) but a trully crappy made gun .
I then went to a Ruger Securty six .357 snubby (sort of). Pretty solid gun but rides like a brick of lead on your belt . (don't even think of stuffing it in your pocket )
I have had Ruger SP101's in .357 and 9mm (full moon 9mm!)
In the end I have grown up (not really) and carry one of my S&W guns. Usually ends up being the  642-1 (airweight 38sp) but can be my 686 snubby (L frame .357) or my 3" LEW HORTON 629 (3" full lug N frame 6 shot 44 mag)
I sort of want one of the exotic metal (scan or ti) S&W .357 snubby guns but have a hard time with the prices they demand. I can shoot the airweight with +P 38sp but think the .357 in the supper light gun would be a bit much. I can shoot the snubby 629 but it only weighs a few ounces less than a full size gun so it is a different thing .
To answer the original question, a revolver generally will no longer cut the mustard for L/E use,but for a general self defense handgun it is a fine choice. Every handgun has its limits and It is up to each individual to plan out their own needs. There is no one best choice .
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I would guess that around the country, even though semi-auto sales are high, most people, especially "non-gun" people, still use the revolver, because of it's simplicity, especially as a home gun.  Unfortunately, I'll bet most don't have a reload in the form of a speedloader handy.  

The revolvers work well and are easy to operate, but then your Glock, may even be easier.  Revolvers can be reloaded quite quickly with speedloaders in darkness, as long as you use your finger to hold the cylinder still.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#10]
revolvers are good nightstand guns. You can keep speedloaders beside it so it isn't loaded all the time. No springs to wear out. Better yet is a .45 auto revolver with full moon clips. very fast, very simple. Just drop in a clip and pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:30:49 PM EDT
[#11]
My custom Dan Wesson in .357 with interchangable barrels, 4" for PIP, just seems to aim itself. I have others, but that just seems to lock on to the target without me thinking about it. The most important pistol is the one you are most comfortable and accurate with. Nuff said....
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#12]
IT WOULD BE MY 4 INCH MODEL 19-3 IN 357 MAG.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 3 revolvers, and do/would carry them anytime:

S&W 686+ 4"
S&W 66 2 1/2"
Colt Det. Spcl  

They are all great revolvers.

Of course, my Kimber goes with me a lot, too.

HH
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Screw a revolver for self defense! Especially a single-action!

Revolvers are most certainly malfunction-prone. Debris can bind the cylinder, making it difficult to open & rendering it useless. If you use moon clips, they can bend & bind the cylinder also.

Revolvers can get out of time, if your thumb slips when cocking it a loaded round can advance past the firing position.

All are way more clumsy to reload than an auto. And a moon clip/speed loader is more awkward to carry than a spare magazine. And just 6 rounds? (or worse, 5 rd snubby!) Puhlease!

Any revolver over .357 caliber is just too big & clumsy. Try carrying any .44 in an inside-the-waist holster.

Both have their pro's & cons but the auto wins. 8 rds of .45 or 15 rds of .40, from a slim concealable pistol, with a spare mag for a 2 second reload, can't be ignored.

Carry a wheelgun only when you're hunting or need protection from bears.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Revolvers are most certainly malfunction-prone. Debris can bind the cylinder, making it difficult to open & rendering it useless. If you use moon clips, they can bend & bind the cylinder also.

Revolvers can get out of time, if your thumb slips when cocking it a loaded round can advance past the firing position.

All are way more clumsy to reload than an auto. And a moon clip/speed loader is more awkward to carry than a spare magazine. And just 6 rounds? (or worse, 5 rd snubby!) Puhlease!

Any revolver over .357 caliber is just too big & clumsy. Try carrying any .44 in an inside-the-waist holster.

Both have their pro's & cons but the auto wins. 8 rds of .45 or 15 rds of .40, from a slim concealable pistol, with a spare mag for a 2 second reload, can't be ignored.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

HH
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

you sir are a crack smoker(altho I agre with a single action). I wouldn't feel under gunned, I used a 686 4" for self defense but it turns out when you use it for self defense they keep your gun so I onlt have auto now a 1911 and a snub nose 45
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Watch alot of movies, do ya?

R
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:20:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You must smoke a bunch of pot, no?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:51:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Ruger SP101

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I am a huge fan of 1911s.  I have 4 Kimbers one of which I carry as often as I can.  That said, sometimes it is too heavy and too large, so I have to go with something else.  For a time, my alternative was a Kahr P9 with Tritium sites.  In my opinion, this is a great gun.  However, I just purchased an airlight 340PD and I am wondering why I didn't buy one long ago.  This is a great gun!  I added the Crimson Trace grips, mainly because the grips are about half an inch longer than the stock grips so it helps a lot with .357 mag rounds.  (Yeah, and I'm also a techy geek, so lasers are cool)

Semi-Autos vs. Wheel guns...  I have a hard time getting worked up about the debate because there are VERY good models of both on the market.  At the end of the day, if it is hot outside and I need something small to carry so I can conceal it in the pocket of my shorts, how can you beat a .357 mag wheel gun, even if it only carries 5 rounds?  How many confrontations go past 5 shots anyway?

After all, isn’t it really all about the “right tool for the job?”  Besides, when it is cooler and I can wear heavier clothes, having a full size 1911 on my belt and a .357 on my ankle, well, that’s not such a bad feeling, eh?

Good Shooting!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top