Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2005 2:03:21 PM EDT
sigforum.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/293100862

Boy, it sure looks to me like these are set up just like a P22, 'cept with a decocker added.  The slides are, just like the P22s, made of MIM's Zinc.   I wonder of the Mosquito will have the same "growing pains" the Walthers did when they were first out.

I do plan to get my hands on one, if only to evaluate whether a 13 to 14 round mag mod will be possible.   (Obscene that we have 9mms with 17 rounds and .22s don't go for much more than 10).

Link Posted: 5/9/2005 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Where are the frigging barrel threads we were promised?

If I had to guess, I'd say that the SIG, like the P22, uses a slim barrel insert with an outer sleeve.  However, unlike the P22 where cans are easy to add, I would guess the sig's slieve is itself threaded onto the inner barrel and that these threads are located back at the breech end, instead of the muzzle end.   This will let Sig get past the nonsense P22 owners have been dealing with in California.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Uh the design of a .22 LR pisol mag won't make it hold much more than 10.

All I've seen are single stacked.

Looks like they have some ammo issues with the Mosquito. bummer.

Link Posted: 5/9/2005 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#5]
If JAC can make 15 round mags for his conversions, I don't see why anyone else (firearms manufactures) can not. What's the deal?
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If JAC can make 15 round mags for his conversions, I don't see why anyone else (firearms manufactures) can not. What's the deal?

The deal is the Commie states' laws spilling over into free states.

The Smith & Wesson / Walther rep told me himself, they had to specifically design the Walther P22 NOT to be capable of using a larger mag easily, and not to be easily modified, or they'd cut off their california market.

What we need are more gun manufactures like Barrett, who will put freedom ahead of profit motive and rightfully say "fuck you" to the California market if they expect a product to be neutered in the entire channel just to make it in California.

Link Posted: 5/10/2005 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Uh California is a huge gun market.

Barrett had no choice because ALL 50 calibers were banned- bolt, single, pump, semi auto, shell holder, ect.

I guarantee you CA still sells more P22s under their screwy handgun laws than some free states.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Uh California is a huge gun market.

Barrett had no choice because ALL 50 calibers were banned- bolt, single, pump, semi auto, shell holder, ect.

I guarantee you CA still sells more P22s under their screwy handgun laws than some free states.

CRC

Yeah, well and Bill Ruger sold us out on the AW Ban.  

I guess I just don't see myself approaching things in this way.

Indeed, there's a pattern for actions to the contrary.   Back in the 80s, Kommiefornia's "polution" laws were completely out of whack from the rest of the nation.   So car manufacturers simply made "california models" and sold them for a MUCH higher cost in California, while selling unneutered cars in the free states.    I don't have a problem with Walther making a Kali compliant P22 and selling as many as they want in that state, and frankly, I also think its fine if they charge out the wazoo for the extra tooling, etc., for the Kali pistols; But I wish they wouldn't have put a lesser product in my hands just because their Kali models had to be limited.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#9]
10 rounds, 15 rounds, or 5 rounds, this kid is in for two!
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#10]
But there is a P22 that is threaded.

You were complaining about 10 rounds for a plinking gun.

It's just easier to make 10 round mags to sell to everybody- HI, CA, MA, Canada, NJ, ect.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought .22 rimfires were specifically exempt from the california, as well as the canadian AWB/magazine restrictions?  
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I thought .22 rimfires were specifically exempt from the california, as well as the canadian AWB/magazine restrictions?  

.22 caliber pistol magazines are restricted to 10 rounds in Canada and Kalifornia, Hawaii too.

Link Posted: 5/11/2005 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Barret did not say fuck you to californians, he said fuck you to californian police dept. He refused any more Department and Government sales to California.

He did have a choice and he made the right one.

He said that he would do that if his 50 caliber rifles were banned from civilian purchase. They were.

The P22 and Sig Mosquito still look CA civilian legal so I would not expect Sig and Walther to quit selling to CA anytime soon, despite the stupid gun laws. It's too big and lucrative a market to ignore so if CA laws dictate how a gun will be made, they just will.

I don't like it but short of an outright handgun ban in CA, that's the reality.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The deal is the Commie states' laws spilling over into free states.

The Smith & Wesson / Walther rep told me himself, they had to specifically design the Walther P22 NOT to be capable of using a larger mag easily, and not to be easily modified, or they'd cut off their california market.

I find that hard to believe. If the gun was only sold in the US then maybe (although it would still be somewhat hard time believe) but the P22 and Sig Mosquito are both sold internationally and I'm not aware of any other countries that have magazine capacity limitations? There is no way the sales potential for Kali is so large that a company like Sig or Walther would design their gun with that state specifically in mind and say screw the rest of the free world.

On the other hand, 10 rounds is a very common capacity for a magazine feed, semi-auto rimfire. Matter of fact, I can't think of any off of the top of my head that come with a larger mag from the factory? Also Consider that both guns being discussed are European designs and in general, Europeans have no concept of "plinking", so I'm sure 10 round mags seem perfectly fine to them?
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 8:04:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yah I was wondering that too. I'd love to get one of these things and use it with my can(when the paperwork comes back that is)

Looks like it will need a triger job though. Trigger Pull DA/SA 12.1lbs/4.4lbs
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Australia, Canada and several US states have 10 round magazine limits.

Since the US is the largest handgun market by FAR, we dictate how handguns are made.

Simple as that.

Take Spain for example: Generally speaking you are allowed ONE handgun if you are allowed to get one.

In the US you can buy all you want.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 8:15:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yah I was wondering that too. I'd love to get one of these things and use it with my can(when the paperwork comes back that is)

Looks like it will need a triger job though. Trigger Pull DA/SA 12.1lbs/4.4lbs

That similiar to the P226 trigger pull.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#20]
That sucks.

Cans are legal here too in 33 states.

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I talked to the SIG sales rep again, the threaded barrels are only for the european market, not silly americans, the quality of the steel liner in an aluminum barrel and zinc slide were more than enough to cancle my orders.

Well, that is crappy news.

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:50:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Been waiting for this
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I talked to the SIG sales rep again, the threaded barrels are only for the european market, not silly americans, the quality of the steel liner in an aluminum barrel and zinc slide were more than enough to cancle my orders.

I agree with you, this thing is a big disapointment. The only improvement I can see over the P22 is it's larger size. I hope for the sake of those still buying one of these they don't have the same problems the P22 has but I'm not holding my breath on that either
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#24]
a .22 that won't fire the cheap .22 ammo! What is the friggin point?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#25]
That thing doesn't appear to be anything the Walther P22 isn't.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top