Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 5:16:05 PM EDT
I am thinking about buying a new toy. I want something powerful and accurate.
I want to use it mostly at the range and not for concealed carry. I currently have
a few automatic pistols but I am thinking about a revolver this time.

What is the performance difference between revolvers and autos?
What caliber(s) are recommended?
What manufacturer(s) and model(s) revolver is recommended?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Greg
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Try a S&W 686 (.357 mag) and you can shoot .38 special out of it as well.  Very strong gun and very easy to shoot.  I have a 4 inch I like very much.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 for th S&W 686.  Love to shoot mine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#3]
The performance difference between a revolver and an autoloader is hard to nail down. With factory loads a 9mm and a .357mag are sumwhat close with the nod to the .357 for more power. But, with the revolver you can hot load/light load for it. The autoloader will only function with a certian load.
I have a Colt Trooper and a Ruger Blackhawk (both .357mag). The Trooper gets the light to medium loads and the Blackhawk gets the HOT loads that will turn a lot of heads at the range. Both are as accurate as the shooter and both are really fun to shoot!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:19:02 AM EDT
[#4]
revolvers can be chambered for calibers that are too long or develop too much pressure for auto pistols.  the best examples are probably .38spl, .357mag, and .44mag.  

if you are looking for a da revolver i would suggest the ruger gp100 series.  they were made for the .357mag cartridge.  if your experience is really only with autos and nothing more powerful than .45acp then i would suggest sticking to .357mag.  if you want a single action revolver i have to say that i really like my ruger blackhawk.  i opted for the spare 9mm cylinder so i can shoot cheap and more often.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:20:12 AM EDT
[#5]
If you reload - you don't have to crawl around looking for brass when using a revolver.  I love my 1911's but the hunt for spent brass is a PITA.  Plus there is a special place in my heart for the older S&W wheel guns - particularly the N frames.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Try a S&W 686 (.357 mag) and you can shoot .38 special out of it as well.  Very strong gun and very easy to shoot.  I have a 4 inch I like very much.

No better revolver on earth.

+1000

HH
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, 9mm dosen't come close to what can be done with the .357Mag.

If your wanting a DA revolver stick with S&W, Colt, or Ruger.

+1 on the 686. Can't go wrong with that one.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Revolver is inherently more accurate and reliable than a semi-auto.

What caliber(s) are recommended?

.357 Magnum, so that you can also shoot .38 Special ammo.

What manufacturer(s) and model(s) revolver is recommended?

Smith & Wesson or Ruger
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:35:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

how do you figure that?  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:57:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how do you figure that?  

I know the revolver is more accurate than the auto has been said through history, but in my limited expirience it isn't the case, at least in the present.  All my stock handguns are of about the same accuracy, be they revolver or auto.

Kent
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

how do you figure that?  

I know the revolver is more accurate than the auto has been said through history, but in my limited expirience it isn't the case, at least in the present.  All my stock handguns are of about the same accuracy, be they revolver or auto.

Kent

i figure most of it has to do with the shooter.  some people are more accurate with pistols and some with revolvers.  but given a quality handgun i would say accuracy would be about the same given same caliber.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I am not trying to take either sides on which is more acurate because I shoot equally bad with a revolver and an auto-pistol and get the same results with either.  But, most auto-pistols have a barrel that moves as part of the action which SHOULD make them less acurate than a revolver.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have a 1911, or any other semi auto chambered in .45 acp, then take a look at a S&W Model 625.  It shoots .45 acp and uses moon clips.  That way, you don't have to worry about reloading just for the wheel gun, or changing primer feeder sizes or buying a new caliber.  The 625 is an incredibly fun gun to shoot, and you can use it to good effect in the Revolver division of USPSA.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you have a 1911, or any other semi auto chambered in .45 acp, then take a look at a S&W Model 625.  It shoots .45 acp and uses moon clips.  That way, you don't have to worry about reloading just for the wheel gun, or changing primer feeder sizes or buying a new caliber.  The 625 is an incredibly fun gun to shoot, and you can use it to good effect in the Revolver division of USPSA.

or if you want a singe action revolver and have the same caliber consideration take a look at the ruger blackhawk convertibles.  you can get either a .357mag/9mm or a .45colt/.45acp.  i have one in the smaller caliber and i like it.  it is a real change from the 9mm autos i am used to but it is enjoyable.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top