Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 11:44:27 AM EDT
I want to get a Kart barrel for my S/A G.I.  What one will fit?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Kart makes a gunsmith fit oversized barrel, and their EZ fit barrel.  As far as I know, there is no drop in barrel.

If you intend to take it to a smith, you need a .45 barrel, non ramped, and in the appropriate length.  Since you didn't mention which GI you have, I assume you meant the 5".  So, you need either the oversized barrel in 5" non ramped, or the EZ fit in 5" non ramped, .45 ACP.  Does that help?

Thanks Hobbs, that's what I thought.  My S/A is an G.I. (park)-Gov't model.  I can get the Kart non-ramped for $96.00.  Since the barrel is 4150 ordnance steel would I be able to use a stainless barrel bushing such as, a Wilson or Brown?  Thanks again for your insight.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Why do you want a replacement barrel?  Just curious.  Does the gun not shoot well as is?

Talk to a gunsmith to get their opinions.  Often they prefer certain brands of parts.

For best results, have a gunsmith fit an oversized barrel and bushing and perhaps a new slide stop.

Drop in parts often aren't.

You can use a SS bushing for a park'd or blued gun.  For park'd I would get a dull stainless look, easily done by bead-blasting.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why do you want a replacement barrel?  Just curious.  Does the gun not shoot well as is?

Talk to a gunsmith to get their opinions.  Often they prefer certain brands of parts.

For best results, have a gunsmith fit an oversized barrel and bushing and perhaps a new slide stop.

Drop in parts often aren't.

You can use a SS bushing for a park'd or blued gun.  For park'd I would get a dull stainless look, easily done by bead-blasting.

I have not shot the gun yet.  After I get a feel for the gun and put rounds down range it will go off to built by Wilson Combat.  The S/A G.I. and other S/A's come with two piece barrels.  So when I have this gun bulit I want a quality match-style barrel to go in it.  The Kart seems to be the best deal going and from posting and reading other posts, Kart is the way to go.  In talking to the folks at Wilson they said either their barrel or the Kart would serve me well.  All other parts are going to be from Wilson, Ed Brown, Novak. Smith & Alexander and some parts will be stock and factory replacement parts.  Thanks for the bushing answer.  I intend on having the gun in all black with the hammer, solid trigger and busing staying silver.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In my opinion, Kart are the best barrels period, regardless of price.  Every one has a favorite barrel, and I'm just as happy with Les Baer (mde by Kart), Bar-Sto, etc.  Karts are the most consistently accurate, and in my experience only Bar-Sto is as good.  The difference between the two for me is that the Kart requires a little less fitting usually, and it's way cheaper.  I use Bar-Sto when someone wants a stainless barrel.

As far as the 2 piece barrel, I put together a nice Caspian with a Springfield 2 piece barrel.  I had it laying around.  I crowned it, and also put on a match busing, and it shot 1" groups at 15 yards, 7 rounds, hand held, when I did my part.  At 25 I could get 2" rested.  I've never seen a 2 piece Springer barrel come apart.  

I only mention this because depsite the low cost of the Kart barrel, even at the wholesale price you mentioned, labor for the install is still not cheap, and you will also need a bushing, link, and pin.  You will defninitely have a more accurate gun, but a 1" 25 yard gun is something most people don't need.  If you have the money to throw at it and want it, then great.  I've done it many times.  Just realize you can most likely get very good accuracy from the stock 2 piece barrel.  

I just bought a stainelss Mil-Spec the other day, and told myself I was going to keep this one simple.  Of course I already ordered the Kart barrel and all the other goodies, so that went right out the window.

I'm going to stick with the Kart and a Wilson stainless bushing.  Damn 1911's they're like IN-an-OUT Burgers...you can't just it there once and be happy  Plus, with the spare parts I get back I'll be set for next one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I have seen one SA 2 pice BBL come apart at the joint and that, even tho I don't like them, was a flaw from day one. I have seen one other that sheared the link assy off the BBL. Thats it. Both had low round counts and were flawed from the factory. Seen a lot that ran and  ran and ran with quite good accuracy from the stock BBL. Even mine [thats sold, got the money but the guy has not picked it up for 2 months now, go figure] was accurate out of the box to the tune of 2.5 to 3 inches at 25 yards with about any ammo that was halfway decent. I just hated the MIM crap and had problems with the extractors. I'd change other stuff before I'd change the BBL myself.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I feel the same way.  A one piece barrel will give me better piece of mind if anything else.  Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top