Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/3/2008 8:30:34 AM EST
What is involved in removing the ILS (internal locking system) from an SA 1911? I live here in the Peoples Republik of Marylandistan and we have to have "internal locking mechanisms" on all guns sold here. Some choose just to include a little locking device to fit in the barrel (like a little cartridge) but others do the actual lock.

I have seen some people have removed theirs, but I was unsure of the process. Would I just have to replace the mainspring housing with a non-ILS or is there more to it?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:36:01 AM EST
besides replacing MSH, you need a new hammer or at least hammer strut. it's shorter due to ILS.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:42:49 AM EST
That sucks, well still might be worth it. I can't stand the idea of internal locks... they're just... ARGH!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:43:44 AM EST
Try this.

Details:
remove and disassemble ILS housing per Springfield's guide.
Replace the spring and mainspring cap with the new parts. push them all the way down into the housing--this takes some effort--and insert the cap pin through the frame-facing side of the housing, so it's above the mainspring cap, keeping everything in the housing.
Reinstall MSH.

Replacement of the outer housing itself really isn't necessary, as removing the original cap and spring disable the lock. But if you want to replace the housing too, go for it.
I just gutted my ILS, I plan to replace the housing with a Guncrafter checkered model w/recessed lanyard loop at some point in the future.

Oh, and some people seem to find that replacing the 28lb ILS mainspring with a standard 23lb one reduces the trigger weight. Honestly, if it did in mine, I'm not yet enough of a trigger connoisseur to know the difference (i.e. the difference in mine, if any, was minute. YMMV, of course, and given the nature of the 1911, it probably will)

Good luck, and I hope this helps
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:44:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By R850R:
besides replacing MSH, you need a new hammer or at least hammer strut. it's shorter due to ILS.

Negatory, Ghostrider. See the link in my above post. It lays out the minimum of parts needed to deactivate the ILS. no hammer components are on that list.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:51:25 AM EST
I stand corrected
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:00:28 AM EST

I stand corrected

For the record, I was worried it would be a major undertaking, back when I was looking to disable mine. then I saw the helpful links at the top of this forum, and it worked as-advertised
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:10:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By RifleCal30m1n00b:

I stand corrected

For the record, I was worried it would be a major undertaking, back when I was looking to disable mine. then I saw the helpful links at the top of this forum, and it worked as-advertised

Wait, you're saying this is part of a sticky? Oh NOEZ! I suck at the internet today.

Oh well thanks guys, I wanted a checkered mainspring housing anyway.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:14:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By NateTheShake:

Originally Posted By RifleCal30m1n00b:

I stand corrected

Wait, you're saying this is part of a sticky? Oh NOEZ! I suck at the internet today.

Oh well thanks guys, I wanted a checkered mainspring housing anyway.

I'm going for a checkered one, when I have extra money for it...too busy trying to keep up with ammo stocks, lately
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:20:21 AM EST
I replaced the arched MSH on my Mil-Spec with a flat one. Spring, cap, and cap retainer pin.

Took about 10 minutes,

a-bare
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:09:19 AM EST
I had done just the gut replacement parts afew months ago and I can attest to the fact that the 23# mainspring lightened the trigger. Before the change I was running about 5-6# of trigger and now about 4-4.5#. I believe anyone who does this mod would be pleasantly surprised. If I recall, about $5.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:41:56 AM EST
Just about as painless of a mod as can be. You won't be disapointed
Top Top