Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2004 1:18:31 PM EDT
cactus tactical www.asa-training.com/magazines.html
Has Wilson mags, What are the Best Mags for Kimbers, I like to buy extras but I dont want to buy crap.

What do you use
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my CMC 8 round Power mags.

around 20 a peice, and they work GREAT.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Wilsons, both Stainless and blued,  USGI, and Chip McCormick with no problems.  The mag Kimber supplied with my gun sucks ass, always jams or throwes the last round in the gun straight back and boinks my noggin.

BTW Im using what used to be a Custom TLE/RL II that now looks amazingly like a MARSOC Det-1 pistol, other than the exteral extractor.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#4]

I have a bunch of mags to play with. My fav setup is a Kimber mag with a Wilson 7rd spring and follower. It fits flush with the bottom of the mag well and is 100% reliable so far.  I have an aluminum frame Kimber so metal followers are a no-no.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a bunch of mags to play with. My fav setup is a Kimber mag with a Wilson 7rd spring and follower. It fits flush with the bottom of the mag well and is 100% reliable so far.  I have an aluminum frame Kimber so metal followers are a no-no.

the gun I buying has the aluminum frame, so what do you suggest, please provide a link if you know of a good mag source. Robert your talking about the followers correct? or are you talking about the whole mag. The wilsons are SS so is this a no no, please click on the link on the first
post this is the mags Im considering buying
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the gun I buying has the aluminum frame, so what do you suggest, please provide a link if you know of a good mag source. Robert your talking about the followers correct? or are you talking about the whole mag. The wilsons are SS so is this a no no, please click on the link on the first
post this is the mags Im considering buying

The follower is the piece that fits on top of the spring. The problem with metal followers is they ding the aluminum frame of the Kimber after the last round is fed.  

The Wilson mags use plastic followers, so they are fine. I use them myself. I bought some 8rd Wilsons, but later put in 7rd springs because the 8rd springs are not considered as reliable by users here. I also don't like the way the Wilson mag extends below the pistol. I prefer a flush magazine, so bought some extra Kimbers because the quality looks good.

Right now all my Kimber mags have Wilson 7rd mag springs and followers. The mag conversion kit is cheap. I think it was something like $4.95.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Here is my favorate magazine: www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/655132

Here are the Wilson spring and followers:  www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/509361

The Wilson stainless steel mags are fine, but beware, they have shiny metal that will extend below the pistol. It''s like wearing little mirrors.  That's why I prefer black.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Whats with the flush with the mag well stuff?  While it may look "Nice" I want a little something to hold on to when doing tac reloads.  Its bad enough going back and forth between a 45 and an M9 add a flush mag and its a recipie for pinched skin.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Wilson Combat #47's.  (Yes, those are the 7 round mags.)
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I use Wilson 8 rounders in my Pro CDP II and have had no problems.  The Kimber factory mag went in to the trash barrel at the range.  It was totally unreliable, wouldn't it be nice to get a decent mag with a $900 pistol?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Whats with the flush with the mag well stuff?  While it may look "Nice" I want a little something to hold on to when doing tac reloads.  Its bad enough going back and forth between a 45 and an M9 add a flush mag and its a recipie for pinched skin.  

The Wison 8 rd. that I use have a nice slim little plastic basepad that is unobtrusive and allows positive magazine seating, something that you don't get with a flush fitting magazine.  It just sticks out a little bit and doesn't look bad at all.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

No one is bagging on your fun mags.    

For oc holster or ccw the lack of shinny metal is appreciated.  It also means the pistol is a little more compact.

If your mag pouch lets the shine out that's a no-no that can get you dead as well.  

IPSC does not deduct points for high reflection tactical reloads, so you are still good.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
No one is bagging on your fun mags.    

For oc holster or ccw the lack of shinny metal is appreciated.  It also means the pistol is a little more compact.

If your mag pouch lets the shine out that's a no-no that can get you dead as well.  

IPSC does not deduct points for high reflection tactical reloads, so you are still good.  

Um I dont shoot IPSC, or IPDA (is that the new Asimov movie?) and all my work mags are blued and or made dark and un shiny.   Funny how you can get blued steel mags from wilson if you do something other than punch paper for a hobby

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Here they are side to side. Wilson with standard base pad, low profile base pad, and Kimber:

Wilson Stainless Steel with standard base pad:

Wilson black with low profile base pad:

Kimber:
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Wilson 47D 8 round stainless for me
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1 x5.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#19]
My used Stainless Ten II came with one Kimber OEM and two Mec-Gar ParaOrd Mags...a 13.45 and a 14.45.  I have had ZERO problems with the Kimber, but the Mec-Gars were so bad I traded them in to my  local gun shop for a couple of Walther P22 mags...the Mec-Gars were jam-o-matics.

I stopped by a big gun shop up in North Jersey (Rays) and picked up two more Kimber OEM mags (about $45 each).  I've put a couple of hundred rounds thru both the new mags without a failure.

The OEMs work for me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 x5.

+2  x 24
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Wilson 47D mags have functioned perfectly for me through thousands of rounds of competition. Theses mags are routinely dropped in the dirt and mud, stepped on and kicked around. They always work.  www.natchezss.com usaually has them for a good price.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I currently have in the neighborhood of 16 CMC 8 round Powermags, 2 factory kimber 8 rounders, and one Wilson (I have no idea what the model number is).

I prefer the Powermags to all the rest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top