Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 6:13:26 AM EDT
Here's my dilema.
Went shooting yesterday, and after shooting hi SA & my Kimber, the SA has less recoil than my Kimber shooting the same ammo.
Both the Sa & Kimber have stock recoil springs and no shok-buffs. Will a new recoil spring change this?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Changing the recoil spring will change the way the recoil feels. Not sure what Kimber and SA are running in their stock pistols, but 16# is the original spec. I used a 16# for about 500 rounds, and now run with a 18.5# spring.
There is not much difference, but a little. I prefer 18.5, but YMMV.
Wollf gunsprings sells packs with different weights so you can try several and pick the one you like best. For 230 gr. FMJ commercial ammo, I wouldn't go below 16#, as the lighter ones are for competition shooters who are handloading at low fps.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=164528

This pack has 17.5, 18.5, 20 and 22# springs, and one of them ought to be the one you're looking for.
Once you change springs, test fire the ammo you will carry extensively, as a heavy spring (20# or higher) may cause stovepipes with some factory ammo.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Lets not play the feeling game, but instead watch the ejection distance of the spent case out of the pistol.  
Ideally, you want a 5' to 7' feet of ejection distance, and all to end up in a nice little pile.  
If you find two spings that get you withing this distance, remember, the lighter tension spring is going to cause less recoil, not the heavier spring.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:04:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's my dilema.
Went shooting yesterday, and after shooting hi SA & my Kimber, the SA has less recoil than my Kimber shooting the same ammo.
Both the Sa & Kimber have stock recoil springs and no shok-buffs. Will a new recoil spring change this?

Both 5 inch guns? Must compare apples to apples

How many rounds through each? A fatigued recoil spring will act differantly than a fresh spring. As Dano523 notes a lesser spring will FEEL like less recoil.

Both are 5" guns. I have about 3K through my Kimber, not sure on the SA.
Was shooting UMC 185gr & Win 230gr.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:25:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Dano is exactly right, the best way to gauge is the brass.
Also, you mention two different bullet weights, make sure you're "apples to apples" in the comparison. If you've never changed the spring and have 3K through it, CHANGE THE SPRING. Recoil springs should be changed about every 1K IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top