Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2013 2:20:33 PM EDT
I put XS big dot sights on my Glock 19, which is currently the only handgun I own. I bought it to carry, and for that purpose, I believe the XS big dots to be a good choice.

However, those sights aren't much fun for range shooting and leave me frustrated more often than not. Makes me not want to go shooting for fun anymore.

I thought about getting rid of them and going back to notch and post, which I'm 100x more accurate with, but I do think they are my best option for SD.

Now I'm looking for a new 9mm for fun, accuracy, and perhaps IDPA. My main requirements are reliability, aftermarket options, no Springfields (owned them, sold them), around G19 size, and nothing over $700.

I'm willing to try the M&P and CZ lines again, but I really was never in love with either.

Anything else I should consider?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#1]
G17
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
G17
View Quote

Had it, sold it. Amazing gun (after glock replaced the first one I bought for chronic BTF issues) but too big for me to carry and I don't need a collection of glocks like some others do. I'd consider a baby glock someday, but that wouldn't fit this purpose.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Glock 34
Glock 17
CZ 75B
Beretta 92FS
Browning Hi Power
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Glock 34
Glock 17
CZ 75B
Beretta 92FS
Browning Hi Power
View Quote

Any of these would be great choices.  I would also add a sig p226 to the mix.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 34
Glock 17
CZ 75B
Beretta 92FS
Browning Hi Power

Yeah these are the lists I keep seeing on other threads that have already discussed this. I see calls for the HK P7 or 2000 a lot too.

Unfortunately the Sig is disqualified because I can't afford it And I'd imagine the HKs will suffer the same fate.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my G26
Shoot the smaller Glock as well as my g19 ...would give you a nice carry option
P226 can be found on the used market , as well as many other "full" size duty weapons - small is in right now - most large handguns do not re-sell as well in today's market
XDm
Lots of other poly pistols

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#7]
You are begging for a 34.

I started with a 19, rolled with it for about a year in IDPA and then got a 34.

34 for the range, and 19 for carry.

You'll probably like keeping uniformity in your play and work guns.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Based on your owning a G19 and the list of things you want to do with the new handgun, I would choose the G34. But if you really want to stay in the same size range, a Walther PPQ would be it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah these are the lists I keep seeing on other threads that have already discussed this. I see calls for the HK P7 or 2000 a lot too.

Unfortunately the Sig is disqualified because I can't afford it And I'd imagine the HKs will suffer the same fate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 34
Glock 17
CZ 75B
Beretta 92FS
Browning Hi Power

Then get a cz75.  Its inexpensive up front, and if you have the scratch down the road, you can send it to czcustoms.com and have one of the best shooting guns out there with trigger job.
Or get a glock 34, since you already have experience with the glock 19, and you want this one dedicated to the range/competition.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Then get a cz75.  Its inexpensive up front, and if you have the scratch down the road, you can send it to czcustoms.com and have one of the best shooting guns out there with trigger job.
Or get a glock 34, since you already have experience with the glock 19, and you want this one dedicated to the range/competition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 34
Glock 17
CZ 75B
Beretta 92FS
Browning Hi Power

Or one of the tristar clones of the CZ
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 34
Glock 17
CZ 75B
Beretta 92FS
Browning Hi Power

I shot a 75B and a P01, the P01 was my preferred version. I've been looking at the Canik's and have yet to hear much badmouthing of their quality or performance.

For price reasons, I'm probably looking at either a M&P (feels cartoonish in my hand, I'm 6'5), a CZ/Canik, or a Beretta. Fortunately my local range has all of those for rent. The Sig, Browning and HK options are just more than I'm willing to spend because I'm already saving up for a PM9 and I AIN'T GOT NO DAMN JOB NO MO!
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Canik 55 and love it.  Fun gun and cheap.  EAA Witness would be about the same.  Bonus for the Witness is that you can get other slides and barrels for caliber conversion.  On the Glock 19, have you tired or seen Heinie Straight 8 sights?  I have them on my Glock 19 for carry and I love them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I recently got. G34 and it replaced my 19 as my favorite centerfire pistol. I still love the 19, but the 34 is just that much better.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought my Walther P99 AS and ended up selling/trading off my other 9mm pistols because they never left the case again. I love everything about it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd look for a CPO P226 or P228 ($600>). Mec-Gar mags are cheap for both and add 2 rounds to their capacity in flush fitting mags.

I've found my P228 to be one of the most enjoyable guns to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd look for a CPO P226 or P228 ($600>). Mec-Gar mags are cheap for both and add 2 rounds to their capacity in flush fitting mags.

I've found my P228 to be one of the most enjoyable guns to shoot.
View Quote

The only bad thing about a used sig, esp if you want to put a high round count on it(like for competition) is you just don't know how well it was taken care of by the prior user, and alloy frames aren't known for their longetivity(I don't know if sigs warranty is good for secondhand pistols)  I have been told looking at the rails to see how worn they are can be a good indicator though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#17]
The CPO's are police trade-ins. SIG goes through them and replaces springs / worn parts / night sights and refinishes them. Some of them were turned back into SIG without even being issued. They come with a 1-year warranty.

P series SIGs (at least in 9mm) seem to hold up well to high round counts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Glock 34
Glock 17
CZ 75B
Beretta 92FS
Browning Hi Power
View Quote

This is basically my want to own list in 9mm. I already own a G17 and want to add a G19 for carry. The CZ75, 92FS, and BHP are the additions I hope to add for range/home/competition use in the future. CZ seem to be in short supply right now and tough to find. I see a lot of new and used 92 variations for sale in various places. A new BHP is expensive but there are some FEG clones available a few places cheap, and Coles on GB has Israeli surplus BHP for under $500.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I recently left an agency that issued the G19, and picked up a CZ-75 Compact clone (with intent to pick up the real CZ when avail).  G19 size, lightweight, high capacity, with option for SA carry and a crisp trigger.  Closest thing to a Browning HP in ergonomics.  Or maybe the HP?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
G17
View Quote

This.

I don't find it any harder to conceal than the 19.

Everything will be the same allowing you to practice / range fun / Idpa and carry the same platform.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Only because this is the only one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet...

here

But seriously, look at a G34, I would love to have one myself.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I recently got. G34 and it replaced my 19 as my favorite centerfire pistol. I still love the 19, but the 34 is just that much better.
View Quote

I just checked the website of my range and they have a G34, a 92fs, a P01 (which I've shot), and the full M&P line of 9mms. So it looks like I'm going renting tomorrow :D
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I just checked the website of my range and they have a G34, a 92fs, a P01 (which I've shot), and the full M&P line of 9mms. So it looks like I'm going renting tomorrow :D
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

once you shoot a 34 it'll only be a matter of time until you buy one

at least that's what happened to me
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:33:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like accuracy, competition & range practice are your goals.

You might have owned a CZ-75 - but the new SP-01 is whole different animal.  Superb accuracy and the weight to soak up recoil (read:  fast and accurate).  Czech it out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ran my 34 and a friends 17 side by side.

After 300+ rounds with each over the same stages, I actually shot better groups and faster with the 17.

I was shocked.

Sold the 34 and had a 17 within an hour.

I love both of them, but I can ccw the 17 better.

Ill end up with another 34 when finances allow.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#26]
CZ-75B
Sig P229

If you can't afford the Sig you can't afford the H&K.

Or say F 9mm and buy a Glock 20
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#27]
STI Spartan 1911 in 9mm
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Glock 21 Gen 4 with the medium beaver tail grip.

I am enjoying mine.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Ended up going with a Canik 55 Stingray in chrome. Heard nothing but great reviews about this gun and it's significantly cheaper than my other options. I never did shoot the Glock 34, but I really did like the Beretta 92fs. I've shot the Storm before and didn't like it at all, but the 92fs will definitely be on my watchlist for used guns. The full size M&P 9mm was great too, but I wanted a steel gun, not just another Glock or other polymer frame gun.

I'll post up a thread with pictures and a range report sometime next week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top