Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2016 10:33:45 PM EDT
Looking at the Dan Wesson Eco, but wondering if I should look at any others on the market.  This is a pretty specific niche 1911.  Doesn't Ruger make a 4.25" SR1911 like this or is it a steel frame?  I handled one and it was loose all over, slide had lots of play.  Can't find the DW Eco locally to check out the quality.

Thanks for any help.  This gun is for carry (hence alloy frame and size).
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#1]
RO compact.....slides a 1/4" shorter Though. 
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
RO compact.....slides a 1/4" shorter Though. 
View Quote

Great suggestion, what is the difference between the RO Compact and the EP4?

ETA: looks like the RO Compact is compact frame while EP4 is full size frame with commander 4" slide?
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 12:06:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Guessing you are meaning EMP.  The EMP guns aren't a traditional/standard 1911 size. They've been shrunk down. Specifically for 9mm/.40 so there are a lot of proprietary parts in there that were shrunk down to fit into the smaller frame.  

i dont think there is much aftermarket support for theEMP series. You'll have to rely on SA to replace parts. They won't sell you some of the parts so you will be forced to ship it back to them for repair. If they had better aftermarket support I would buy one. 
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 1:03:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Go with the ECO you will be happy you did.  They are build Very very well.. And has a lot to over the others don't.. Its more money but for a reason.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 1:36:06 AM EDT
[#5]
The DW ECO is officer sized.  You want the Valkyrie.  Haven't owned that personally, but I've had three DW 1911s to include a CCO.  They're worth the money and they've only improved since CZ acquired them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 3:08:34 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're not a purist I can recommend the S&W 1911ES.  I think Smith discontinued them but they're still out there.  Scandium Officer's frame with a Commander slide.  I bought one on a whim when I was looking for another lightweight Commander; it's extremely accurate and has been dead nuts reliable out the box with everything I've fed it.  Two things that bother me a bit are that the back of the magwell corners are a bit sharp and will dig into your side if you carry any extra weight or you have side bolsters on your car seats and I the factory grips are kind of rough on bare skin.  Ideally I'd like to have it rounded but that would mean refinishing and I just haven't gotten around to changing the grips since it's not my carry gun.

Old thread on them that I found:
Link

ETA- Damn, just did some searching and apparently they're not only discontinued but commanding a premium.  I think I paid around $600 for mine and they're on the auction sites now for $1300.  I ought to sell mine.    
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a range officer compact that I like. Turning into a custom for myself, with the slide being tri topped, barrel flush cut, and green laser sights. I'm into the whole thing less than the DW would have cost, including good leather. I'll round some edges myself eventually, then get it coated.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a range officer compact that I like. Turning into a custom for myself, with the slide being tri topped, barrel flush cut, and green laser sights. I'm into the whole thing less than the DW would have cost, including good leather. I'll round some edges myself eventually, then get it coated.
View Quote

Sounds great, did Springfield's custom shop do the work?  Please post a pic!
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Ruger makes the .45 ACP SR1911 in a 4.25" Commander format with a steel frame, and they make in the Lightweight CMD format with an aluminum frame.

Ruger also makes the SR1911 in 9mm Para in the 4.25" Lightweight CMD format with an aluminum frame.

List price on them is $979, but they seem to sell for around $750-$775 in the real world, making them a very good value for the money.

I have just over 400 rounds through this one (9mm Lightweight CMD) so far at it's proven to be very reliable with everything I've put through including about 200 hollow points and it's also quite accurate.

The overall build quality and the trigger in particular were better than the Springfield ROs I compared it to.  

It works very well with the standard 9 round Ruger magazines, and the reliability has been flawless with 10 round Mec-Gar magazines.

Other than shooting slightly left at 10 yards, I have zero complaints with it, but since I had the sight pusher out already and a pair of Trijicon night sights, I just installed them instead.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 5:53:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Go with the range officer compact. If .45 was an option the Colt Wiley Clapp CCO.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#11]
"Recommend an aluminum frame, Commander slide, Officer frame 9mm 1911"

No.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"Recommend an aluminum frame, Commander slide, Officer frame 9mm 1911"

No.
View Quote

That's kinda funny and I thought that way for 30 years.  I wish I hadn't though as I've found a 9mm lightweight Commnader style 1911 to be the near perfect concealed carry handgun for me.  I've always been a 1911 fan, in large part due to the very nice trigger, short reset, and it's general fit for me and it's always enabled me to shoot very fast and accurate double taps, controlled pairs and failure to stop drills.  On the other hand I also realized a long time ago that I could get more A zone hits in a given amount of time with a 9 mm than with a .45 ACP.   The 9mm lightweight commander lets me have the best of both worlds in a comfortable and concealable package.  

I expected reliability issues based on all I'd heard for the last 30 years, but it's been bullet proof with 10 round Mec-Gar magazines and hollow points.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#13]
How does your Ruger shoot with the Trij HD's on there? POA/POI?

OP, I would highly recommend the DW ECO, awesome pistol. Anything STI as well.

I have a few SA 9's and the new Ruger, good guns for sure, but DW and STI would be my first choices.

EDIT: I have been carrying 9mm 1911's for 5 years now and I have found that the Metalform Mags are the best... number 2 would be the new Wilson mags.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sounds great, did Springfield's custom shop do the work?  Please post a pic!
View Quote

I had the work done by Gary at Gan's Guns. I wanted the DW CCO (which is the model you're describing) but with all the custom work and laser it's still cheaper than the DW and set up almost exactly how I want it. I will eventually break the edges myself, round the butt, and get my buddy to coat it something fancy. Lemme try and post pics. If not, send me your email or number and I'll send some.

BTW I was a purist and demanded my 1911s be steel, 5", and shoot 45. But this 9mm is the one I carry and the one that always goes with me to the range. It's just too nice and runs all day.
http://imgur.com/a/ujmzj

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:17:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Edit: Nevermind
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top