Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2006 9:14:19 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy a 1911 in the near future and I'd like to hear some opinions as to what to buy.  What I want: something not too expensive that will be a good jumping off point for future modification, very good quality, reliable, standard part fitment (will be able to accept aftermarket parts without too much unnecessary modification.  I've looked at the Springfield Mil-Spec...it's in the range I'd like to spend, and I like my XD so much I'd like to give SA my business again.  What do you experienced 1911 guys think about this gun and does it fit my requirements?  Thanks in advance!

ETA: Can anyone point me towards a source for 1911 parts and accessories?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my mil spec but I think I would buy a loaded if I had it to do over again. This is not because the mil spec has given me any problems but I wanted to add a guide rod and a beavertail. I have failed to do so because I stand by the rule "if it aint broke, don't fix it". I have about 1,500 rounds through this thing and have not had any jams. It is my carry gun. Hope this helps. http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/avidshooter/pistolnoserno.jpg
Edit: for parts and accessories order a catalog at brownells. There are many parts in the catalog that are not in the online catalog.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]
mil-spec and then get a EGW pre fit angled bushing, huge diffrence in mine.
my mil-spec was a drop in part and my Loaded took a little work with a fine file and 600 grit sand paper.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
The Springfield GI is actually the best buy if you want a pistol built in the future.  It could use a set of sights, more than anything.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:08:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Stay the HELL AWAY from springfield.  

That's my 1911 advice- grab a Kimber and you won't have to really hate yourself later.  

Even a used Kimber series 1 for cheap with a lot of rounds through it would be FAR better IMO than a new SA factory loaded gun.  

I've only boughten 2 SA 1911's and the loaded SS was unreliable and woefully innaccurate, the TRP operator was unreliable but accurate.  Also the Kimber parts are far higher quality than SA.  

You could build a Kimber into a custom gun without changing anything but the sear and MSH- with the SA you'll probably replace the whole fire control, the two piece barrel, and the grip safety and ILS MSH.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I got the SA and had it built, Kimbers have a whole bunch of problems.  If you get one, get the Series One for sure.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy a Colt, an excellent starting point for future mods. A 1991 series model is priced in the $600s. For a couple hundred more you could upgrade to an XSE enhanced model. Check out Colt's web site for details on available models.

I second the recommendation for Brownell's, excellent service.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Opinions are like....

I'm a Springfield fan.  I've bought 3 milspecs and customized them myself as time and money have permitted.  The GI will save you money up front, but the sights on a milspec are easier to see and use and maybe worth spending the extra money for.  It depends how soon you're going to upgrade.  The milspec sights are typically the last thing I'll replace,  because they are usable.

Both the GI and the milspec are good to start with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top