Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/19/2003 5:10:33 AM EDT
My new Kimber came equipped with a full length recoil spring guide. Does this make the weapon more reliable or is it provided to improve accuracy or both? Is it really a improvement over the original design?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:15:41 PM EDT
Its a fix looking for a problem. Not need but I guesse if it free.

Clinth
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:09:58 PM EDT
The full length guide rod makes the action of the slide feel smoother, and adds weight to the front of the pistol. From the manufacturer's standpoint, these are positives in the eyes of the consumer; the gun feels smoother, and the additional weight may assist in control of muzzle flip.

That being said, all of that is based on the perceptions of one who may not be totally comfortable with the use of the 1911 and proficient in its deployment. A standard recoil system is plenty smooth, and a 230gr bullet travelling @800fps out of a steel firearm with 5" barrel isn't going to generate much muzzle flip in the hands of an experienced shooter.

With the full length guide rod; you need a tool to disassemble your firearm, and one hand manipulations are more difficult. Not desireable qualities in a firearm designed for combat, huh?

Be well!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:27:14 PM EDT
It complicates disassembly, prevents some one handed malfuntion drills and for the most part doesnt do that much to smooth out the gun. Charles Petty I believe looked into this not too long ago, and IIRC, theres less than 1/2" of spring that isnt supported by the guide and end cap when using the GI parts.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:15:21 PM EDT
To jump onto this thread--I picked up a Springfield Armory 1911 with the full-length recoil spring guide, and I can't stand it. Dubb-1 hit the nail on the head on why I hate the thing, and it keeps backing out on me--after about 25 rounds, I have to tighten it up.

So, how hard is it to replace? Can I just buy an old GI-style guide and plug and drop them in, or is there something special I need to do to make them work?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:35:09 AM EDT
Thanks for the detailed feedback, gents.
I to had a Springfield 1911 equiped with a two piece full length spring guide and replaced it with a one piece rod and cap from Chip McCormick. Problem fixed.
I plan to give the original 1911 recoil system a try.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:49:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By limaxray:
Can I just buy an old GI-style guide and plug and drop them in

There you go! Nice and easy!

Be well!

Damian
Top Top