Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2010 12:59:29 PM EDT
Anybody ever have issues with shooting rat shot out of a semi-auto? Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Other than they won't feed or cycle properly, no problems at all.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

+1 Wont cycle the slide. Have to rack the slide each time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#3]
And don't fire the plastic encapsulated shotshell stuff from a gun with a ported barrel (not likely on a semi-auto I know).  The packages recommend against it, and it might cause minor damage at worst, or a tough cleaning situation at best.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That wouldn't even work with the 45 ACP shot loads I had, they wouldn't go up the feed ramp even cycled by hand.  I had to load them in one at a time.  The 22 shot rounds I had fed, just wouldn't cycle, they were also useless against anything bigger than a parakeet and more than 3 feet away.  

I wound up giving the 45 loads to a buddy who had a 45 ACP revolver.  That was my last experiment with shot loads in a semi auto.

Now the 44 mag shot loads worked great, I took quite a few grouse with them during deer season.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#5]
i have used the 45acp and 22lr. my 10/22 wouldn't cycle but the accuracy in my tac sol barrel was pretty good got one bird 15 feet or so mid flight. now for the 45acp i used in my USP they cycled just perfect.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:13:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I had some in 9mm that would cycle the slide of my taurus. Dont know what you are using them for but they dont seem very useful.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had some in 9mm that would cycle the slide of my taurus. Dont know what you are using them for but they dont seem very useful.

I use .22 rat shot for snakes in my yard.  It's quiet enough that the neighbors don't dial 911 when I have to pop one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had it cycle a S&W 6906 reliably.

Brother Muzone shot Cheese with one once.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:42:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Rat shot, a topic close to my heart. Short version answer....#8's loaded in 38's are very effective. DO NOT use 12 shot, it just PO's the rats. For autos the only one I've used is CCI's factory 45ACP and it runs like water through my custom 1911. It's also very deadly on prairie rattlers. Since there's very little practical difference between #8 and #9 shot I wouldn't worry that issue. I just preferred 8's because that's what I reloaded for trapshooting.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#11]
CCI shot shell in 22lr will not cycle in my 10/22, but it works well.  The design of the rifle makes it real easy to quickly cycle the round manually.

CCI Shot shell in 9mm in my hi point carbine works very well and it is fun to shoot rats with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top