Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2004 6:14:43 PM EDT
First of all, I know this is useless without pics. But it was a choice between a camera and a Kimber. Of course, the Kimber won out.
I was in the market for a carry gun. I knew I wanted a 1911 and I thought this would fit the bill nicely with the officers size grip and 4” barrel.
I picked up my new Kimber Compact Stainless II the Thursday before last. Took it home and gave it a good cleaning. I was very happy with the looks of it. And everything seemed to work well.
The next day I took it to the range to see how it would perform and to get some break-in rounds through it. I used the mag that came with it along with a Mecgar, CMC, and some Wilson 47D’s that I had for my other 1911. All the mags worked well in it. Even the Kimber mag.
I ran a total of 170 rounds through it (shot 100, cleaned, then another 70). I had two FTF’s. One at around 70 rounds. The gun was pretty dirty by then, and the slide failed to close completely. The other FTF was at around 120 rounds. Same thing, the slide did not close completely. I was shooting some old Federal 45 Automatic Match 230 gr. And a couple of boxes of UMC 230 grainers.
The accuracy was pretty good. I wasn’t shooting off of a rest, but the rounds were going where I was aiming. I’ll have to put it on some bags and see how it really does.
Over all, I am very happy with it. I have some slim grips ordered. Then, I think I may polish the feed ramp and chamber and leave it at that.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet.....

Shoot it a couple hundered more rounds and let her get broke in...

I have 2 Kimbers, working on a third, I just dont what to get.......

The Kimber .22 or .17, TLE RL, a smaller carry model, I have a Pro CDPII that is my daily carry piece...

Oh well, thats part of the fun.....
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a fine gun.  I pretty much stick to Wilson 47Ds, which have eliminated most of my FTFs.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Good choice!
Now that the weather is cooling down I will be packin my SS Compact II more and more when I leave the house.

Sounds like you have already learned that the kimber Compacts seem to like to be clean.

My 5" SS Kimber Custom II will run and run and run. It isn't so sensitive to fouling as is the compact.

I say again.....Good choice!

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Realizing you said "I picked up my new Kimber Compact Stainless II", does it have the "Tactical" or more commonly known as, external extractor?

Just curious as the external extractor is the only real complaint I have had with my Kimber compact.

I am just about totally confident that issue has been resolved with this pistol now.

This is not an "External extractor Flame" in any way. I am just curious.

Did I mention...?...Good Choice!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. I haven’t been able to get back out with it yet.

1shott: I hear you man! So many Kimbers, so little money (at least in my case). I can’t even look at another one for a while. Well…   Maybe, I could just look. That .17 sure would be nice!

JohnnyEgo: I like the Wilson’s too. But Midway had a sale on CMC’s mags so I am going to give four of them a try. I have one of his eight rounders and it works great in my other 1911.

1MissouriMule: My Kimber doesn’t appear to be too tight. At least, not as bad as you say yours is. Don’t get me wrong. It’s not loose at all! But I can’t complain about it being too tight.
Mine does have the external extractor. So far, no problems. I hope that doesn’t change. I wouldn’t know where to begin to adjust an external extractor. The internals seem to be pretty straightforward.
I hope Kimber can get yours straightened out for you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top