Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2007 7:10:20 PM EDT
Well, the wife and I finally got out to the field to try out the new XD-9 Service model. I'm a rifle shooter mostly, have owned a few single action revolvers (Sold a Uberti Cattleman Millinium, Pietta 1860, and a Yugo SKS to finance this purchase) but not many semi-auto pistols for about 10 years. I was surprised at the accuracy out of the box.

Nice clear, cool day, with no wind for a change. The "range" I go to is nothing more then a piece of state trust land made up of rolling prairie, so I didn't have any type of bench rest to really see how accurate it is.

Shooting distance varied between approximately 7yds (Wife) and 25yrds for most of the outing. Was shooting WWB FMJ 100 rnd Bulk pack, and some Winchester JHP from Wally World.

Overall I'm very pleased with the pistol, and am thinking of getting the wife one of the compact models.

First 15 rounds from 10yrds standing (WWB FMJ)

Wifes 3rd grouping from 7yds standing (She has not shot a pistol since we left SD in 1995, I think she did pretty good) (WWB FMJ)

Last 15rds with Winchester JHP (Wally World specials) at 20yrds (Surprised me in the different group sizes between the FMJ and JHP)

Various other Pics of the outing

And Some Videos: Me, Wife, Wife again
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Tactical XD9 and the SubCompact XD9 and think they are both awsome guns. You have the one right in the middle which is'nt to far from either of mine. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought the XD45 myself, and am overawed by its accuracy-- one-hole groups from (admittedly) a short distance, say 5 yards or so. 450-500 rounds so far w/o a single hiccup! S-field has a winner with this design.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The ONLY issue I have with it is the trigger. I am so used to shooting single action revolvers that its going to take a while to get used to it. But from what I have read they seem to smooth and lighten up after a few hundred rounds or so.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The ONLY issue I have with it is the trigger. I am so used to shooting single action revolvers that its going to take a while to get used to it. But from what I have read they seem to smooth and lighten up after a few hundred rounds or so.

yes they do definetly lighten up and they become as smooth as butter. you will normally see a difference at the 500rd mark, the 1000rd mark and it is nice. congrats on the new gun, and good shooting by both of you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes they do definetly lighten up and they become as smooth as butter. you will normally see a difference at the 500rd mark, the 1000rd mark and it is nice. congrats on the new gun, and good shooting by both of you.

The XD is a gun that needs a lot of dry firing and shooting to smooth out. But they do smooth out very nicely with time and continue to do so with use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top