Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2008 3:53:10 PM EDT
A springfield pistol that has been neglected for 15 years came into my posesion.  The pistol has light corrosion in the slide serrations and the back strap serrations.  The gun has hardly been fired and it is such a shame to see the rust!!!!  What can be done?  Does it need to be re-parkerizzed or some other treatment?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

E
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Try rubbing it lightly with 0000 steel wool and WD-40 or maybe some Kroil if it is not too bad.

If there is pitting it will have to be refinished which will take a lot of work with files and sandpaper.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A springfield pistol that has been neglected for 15 years came into my posesion.  The pistol has light corrosion in the slide serrations and the back strap serrations.  The gun has hardly been fired and it is such a shame to see the rust!!!!  What can be done?  Does it need to be re-parkerizzed or some other treatment?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

E

Soak with liquid wrench. Scrape off rust with fingernails. Check again.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Try rubbing it lightly with 0000 steel wool and WD-40 or maybe some Kroil if it is not too bad.

If there is pitting it will have to be refinished which will take a lot of work with files and sandpaper.

Do not use any abrasives!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks....how long should I leave the liquid wrench on?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used a bronze brush and CLP to my advantage in a situation like this... liberally apply the CLP and allow it to soak, overnight is good.  Then liberally apply CLP to the brush, and brush lightly with the serrations.  After you are done the rust will be gone, but you'll have a bronze patina on the metal.  Some Hoppe's #9 and an old toothbrush usually cleans that right off as well.

Hopefully there isn't any pitting underneath.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks....how long should I leave the liquid wrench on?

LW will stop the rust. Hours, days, weeks. let it get into the rust. ANY abrasive will scratch the finish. The rust may be from a tiny pinhole, once removed from the surface it may never be noticed.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do not use any abrasives!!!!!!!

Says the guy that does not know. I am currently nearing completion of my 16 month gunsmith training. My advice is 100% sound. I have used 0000 steel wool and WD-40 to remove surfact rust without damaging the finish many times.

Eta: The files and sandpaper should be left to the experts
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Use Flitz and an Old T shirt.  

Does it matter whch flavor of flitz?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really, but I prefer the liquid as it is easier to get into the smaller spaces with. Other than the T shirt, Q tips works pretty good as well.

For what it's worth I much prefer the liquid to the paste in a tube.  This is the first time I tried the paste and find the liquid far better to work with.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really, but I prefer the liquid as it is easier to get into the smaller spaces with. Other than the T shirt, Q tips works pretty good as well.

Just one more question....I hope....  there seem to be ten Flitz websites.  Where do you guys get it?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#13]
OIL and a broze brush.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I use Never Dull.  You can find in the Automotive section at most auto parts stores.

This also is the ONLY thing I have used for getting the carbon of the front of a cylinder on a revolver with out tons of scrubbing.   Does a nice job cleaning metal.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Strawberry works best for me....................    

Sorry, couldn't resist.    
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Just one more question....I hope....  there seem to be ten Flitz websites.  Where do you guys get it?

Most hardware stores carry it, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Strawberry works best for me....................    

Sorry, couldn't resist.    

The Raspberry is the one I can't resist.  Good stuff!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top