Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/12/2020 2:00:18 PM EDT
I’ve got it narrowed down to the RMR HRS or DP-Pro to equip two pistols.

I really want to run the RMR HRS due to their increased reliability over the Leupold DP-Pro, along with some of the features and currently have two on order but I do have some concerns about the mounting. I want to be able to run suppressor height sights so my options are Bobro, Springer, and CHPWS. Out of the 3 I like the features of the CHPWS and think it’s the better design overall.

The CHPWS has a couple lugs machined into the bottom and also has a lip that hooks under the dovetail like the factory plates. It’s supposedly a very tight fitting plate too, I read where one person had to press it in with a vise. I still have my concerns about those two little screws passing through the slide and only engaging 3 or so threads into anodized aluminum to hold it down. Has anyone broken one of these mounts off? I would probably bed the mount to the slide with loctite 620.

On the DP-Pro I like how it mounts and just sits tight in the inlet. I also like how their BUIS mounts on it.

So has anyone here ran the CHPWS RMR mount on the M17 or that style slide cut and bumped it around and shot it a lot? Any issues?

Well this has turned into a shit show. Link to thread on snipers hide. All the good info should be on page one.

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Please take this with a grain of salt - my sample size is small and in the past, CHPWS has been responsive and helpful.

I bought a 320 plate (same as the M17 plate) for my 320 legion - brand new directly from CHPWS.  
Had planned to mount a Holosun 507c (same footprint as RMR).  Got the plate and the Holosun will not mount  to the plate.  The lugs/studs sticking up at way too big to fit in the holes on the bottom side of the Holosun.  My rough caliper measurements were 3.9mm on the CHPWS plate and those same studs on the factory Holosun plate were 3.5mm.  
The plate itself fits well in the slide cut on the 320 - just a tiny sliver of movement.  I expect it to be tighter, but I think it is fine as far as fit goes.
I emailed Beau immediately with pics and have not heard back, so going to give him a call this week.

Talked to a buddy who also has a 320 legion and also ordered a CHPWS plate.  On his, the lugs were perfectly sized and his RMR and Holosun fit perfectly BUT dropping the plate into the slide cut on the gun is the issue.  It fits with some serious pushing but when you tighten down the screws, the whole plate bends and you can see under the plate.....
He is also in the process of contacting them.

All that being said, in the past Beau and crew have been helpful and super friendly, so I am giving them a chance to make it right.

Edit to add:  the screws are very tiny, a concern of mine as well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Bobro mount on my M18 with RMR.  It also has the lugs on the bottom and a lip on the front like the factory sight plate.  I like the back up sight design and height, I paired it with a Dawson front sight.

I had a DPP direct mounted on my M17 and I think it sat a little higher than an RMR on a Bobro plate.  I liked shooting it at the range but the RMR definitely carries better.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the CHPWS plate on an RX slide and Bobro on an X Fullsize slide.

The Bobro hands down is a tighter fit. With the chpws plate I can put my finger on it and do a circular motion and it will rattle like crazy. Still once tightened down everything works as it should.

One thing I learned on the CHPWS plate:

I would have the plate on my slide, tighten it down, and everything fit perfect. I put my RM06 Type 2 on, tighten it down, and the front of the plate had a gap. I found out the screws for the rmr were going through the plate, hitting the slide, and pushing up on the plate. I ended up taking off the plate, putting the rmr on it, and tightening it down. The screws just barely protrude through the bottom of the plate. I used a nail file to get them flush. Afterwards I realized I'm an idiot and I hadn't put a sealing plate on it. Had I done that to begin with the screws more than likely would not have protruded to begin with. I probably didn't file off more than a thousandth or two off the screws.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#4]

CHPWS
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Bobro Engineering
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I received the CHPWS plates today and they are complete and utter trash.

The first issue I ran into is the the BUIS sets they sell for them the angle of the dovetails for the rears don’t even begin to line up with the dovetail cut on the plate. So lots of filing to profile the sights and they were finally fit to the plates.

Then I go to install the plate on the slide and this is where things got worse. The threaded holes on the plate that hold it down we’re super out of spec. You can also see in the pics where they’re raised up off the bottom. My guess is they didn’t use the proper H tap which accounts for the thickness of the anodizing. I chased one with a tap and that’s where I stopped because it cut the anodizing out.

Next problem, the holes that are cut for the bosses to fit up through the bottom (threaded posts for the RMR) are undersized. Of the 4 holes between the two plates I ordered and the 4 posts they supplied I was able to get only one to partially insert and the bottom doesn’t even line up with the relief in the plate and won’t sit down in the relief. On one of the plates there is still aluminum that you can see in both holes where it wants drilled clean.

You can also see that the lugs on one of them is completely difference and is jacked up under the anodizing.

I texted the number with some pics and description and got a response only addressing the fitting of the sights, nothing else. I asked for a return label and refund and they denied because I fit the sights which is a BS response and basically told me that I don’t know what I’m doing. Look at the pics and you be the judge, the product is garbage.

Link Posted: 9/19/2020 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#7]
That looks very familiar.....

Still no response to my email or FB messages yet.

I think this might be a lost cause and I might just put the sights (unopened) up for sale. and eat the cost of the plate as a lesson learned.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Weird, I had no problem with mine...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#9]
CHPWS is absolute garbage, M40 cloners ran into issues with them when Dave Clark left the shop 4 years ago. Stay far away from that shop

https://www.m40rifle.com/forum/m40a3/26324-c-h-m40a3-not-happy-whatsupwiththeboom
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Fun fact guys - I have been watching Bobro like a hawk.  P320 mounts with the built in rear sight are IN STOCK right now (after having been sold out for a long time).
http://www.bobroengineering.com/SIG-320-M17-RMR-MOUNT-WINTEGRATED-REAR-SIGHT_p_51.html
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fun fact guys - I have been watching Bobro like a hawk.  P320 mounts with the built in rear sight are IN STOCK right now (after having been sold out for a long time).
http://www.bobroengineering.com/SIG-320-M17-RMR-MOUNT-WINTEGRATED-REAR-SIGHT_p_51.html
View Quote

Wish the Bobro mount had threaded rear recoil bosses..
Attachment Attached File

CHPWS plate which you can get with a dovetail or a built in sight like the Bobro:
Attachment Attached File

The ONLY negative thing I will say about the CHPWS plate is the threaded recoil bosses you have to press in (or tap into place) instead of them already being installed which is not a big deal to do that is that. They are supposed to be tight as they are not supposed to be removed from the plate. Another thing is verify that the base of the threaded recoil bosses are 100% flush with the bottom of the plate, ANY deviation and the optic will not sit on the plate. If everything is squared and correct, the optic will sit flush on the plate and will not fall off, then you can install the screws and tighten to spec. I can only speak about my plate which the fit and finish were great, install total time took less than 10 minutes which includes prepping the slide for the plate. Yesterday just for shits and giggles I removed everything and reinstalled the plate and RDS and no issues were found, the red dot looks to be dead on.

Take this as a sample of one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

You need to follow companies like them on social media.  They posted an in-stock notification on instagram at 2pm central today.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Been quite happy with my Bobro mount on my 320-M17. Only have 500rds through it, but it's don't what I wanted it to do so far.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The ONLY negative thing I will say about the CHPWS plate is the threaded recoil bosses you have to press in (or tap into place) instead of them already being installed which is not a big deal to do that is that. They are supposed to be tight as they are not supposed to be removed from the plate. Another thing is verify that the base of the threaded recoil bosses are 100% flush with the bottom of the plate, ANY deviation and the optic will not sit on the plate. If everything is squared and correct, the optic will sit flush on the plate and will not fall off, then you can install the screws and tighten to spec. I can only speak about my plate which the fit and finish were great, install total time took less than 10 minutes which includes prepping the slide for the plate. Yesterday just for shits and giggles I removed everything and reinstalled the plate and RDS and no issues were found, the red dot looks to be dead on.

View Quote

That is what I do not get.  How the heck can people have a perfect fit all the way around, yet then there are whole groups of people who's plates are total clown shoes.  I can't get those threaded studs even in - even tapping them, the bottoms stick out a decent amount.  The annodizing is just too thick.  I think the annodizing issue is what is cause the fact I cannot get an RMR or Holosun even onto the front recoil lugs they are not even close to being thin enough to go up inside the RMR or Holosun.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That is what I do not get.  How the heck can people have a perfect fit all the way around, yet then there are whole groups of people who's plates are total clown shoes.  I can't get those threaded studs even in - even tapping them, the bottoms stick out a decent amount.  The annodizing is just too thick.  I think the annodizing issue is what is cause the fact I cannot get an RMR or Holosun even onto the front recoil lugs they are not even close to being thin enough to go up inside the RMR or Holosun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would send yours in for an exchange, as for the threaded studs a drop of oil on the stud helps them to be pressed on. This part should have been done at the manufacture but I had no issues getting mine on.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You need to follow companies like them on social media.  They posted an in-stock notification on instagram at 2pm central today.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up, just went to their site and ordered two to replace the CHPWS trash.

Anyone know where I can order the correct height Trijicon front sights? I'd prefer those over the Dawsons.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#17]
So I heard back from them.  Suggestion was to tap/pound on the optic to make it fit, that it will for sure fit.  Everything is machined precisely....
I am out for sure lol  I am not a math genius but I do not think any amount of tapping will make the Holosun fit on the CHPWS plate.
For reference the stock mount plate measure is included.
Selling the sights on the EE and chalking this up a strong lesson learned.

Link Posted: 9/22/2020 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So I heard back from them.  Suggestion was to tap/pound on the optic to make it fit, that it will for sure fit.  Everything is machined precisely....
I am out for sure lol  I am not a math genius but I do not think any amount of tapping will make the Holosun fit on the CHPWS plate.

https://i.imgur.com/lwuWLOL.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5YZ38Cs.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JJnhY06.jpg
View Quote

WOW. Just WOW. You can’t bend/flatten out anodized aluminum like that, it will weaken it if it doesn’t just break. They probably know it will most likely break so they can tell you to kick rocks because you broke it. What a shitty company.

Yours looks like it has the same crappy machining marks that one of mine does like it was made by a beaver.

Dispute it with your credit card company. He’s already got one dispute from me and I doubt I’m the only one. Enough valid disputes and they’ll shut his account down, not to mention the more valid disputes means they won’t bat an eye when someone disputes a charge against him.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I miss read your post, I thought you were the guy with the bent one.

But absolutely not. Even if those studs where absolutely perfectly centered (no fucking way they are with there shitty machining) you’d want about .002 clearance which is exactly what your other plate has. His studs are .010” LARGER. No way in hell that would work.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 11:54:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

WOW. Just WOW. You can’t bend/flatten out anodized aluminum like that, it will weaken it if it doesn’t just break. They probably know it will most likely break so they can tell you to kick rocks because you broke it. What a shitty company.

Yours looks like it has the same crappy machining marks that one of mine does like it was made by a beaver.

Dispute it with your credit card company. He’s already got one dispute from me and I doubt I’m the only one. Enough valid disputes and they’ll shut his account down, not to mention the more valid disputes means they won’t bat an eye when someone disputes a charge against him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or he could just submit the photos to them first and see if the will do an exchange...

We get it that you have a hard on for the company (which I will add was caused by your lack of communication skills that made you look bad) but doesn’t mean he needs to act like you do...

Many people here and on snipershide called you out for how you handled the situation and it was pretty clear that your situation was a “when assholes” collide. Also you are wearing out the beaver comment.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know my fitment was snug with my optic to the place but only required a firm (not too tight) squeeze. These are made to tight tolerances but I would suggest you send them the pictures you posted here and express your concern for potential damage, ask if you can exchange it for another plate. Just don’t go down hiih8r’s route because we all see where that went.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#22]
This keeps getting better and better. So my RMR’s just showed up today and guess what? NEITHER PLATE WILL TAKE AN OPTIC!!!!

I dug out my certified Brown & Sharpe harbor freight specials and started doing some measuring. You know, because they sell $250 calipers.

The plate that doesn‘t look like it was machined by a beaver had appropriate sized studs but is dimensionally short from the rear of the studs to the back of the plate by .003”, but I’m sure you can just “tap it on there”.

The plate that ole eager beaver machined is even worse. Not only is that dimension even further off, the studs are also significantly larger than the holes in the RMR and they’re not even the same! The RMR’s holes measure .1535” on both optics and on the beaver plate one stud measures .1675” (.014” larger) and the other measures .1760” (.0225” larger). The studs themselves very by almost .010”!!! That is ridiculously sloppy machining.

I’m sure this is my fault somehow too.

Non beaver plate first in pics, and then beaver plate.

Link Posted: 9/24/2020 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I’m sure this is my fault somehow too.

View Quote

Well when you keep complaining about the plates instead of, I dunno, sending them back.....

Even when Buck said to send them back....

You still insist on complaining about plates you say have an issue and expect them to fix themselves once your RMRs arrive...

But I guess you will still go around different websites to post your disdain for the plates instead of just sending them back, because a beaver would be smart enough to do that..

Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I wanted to send them back. I didn’t want to send them back for more jacked up replacements and I sure as hell didn’t want to send them back with my slide for him to screw that up. Never have I heard of a company that won’t allow a return for a refund on a defective product.

Had he said “here’s a return label” (like his website says they’ll issue for defective items) “we’ll refund you when we get them back” nobody would have ever heard about it. Instead his response was “kick rocks” and he based his denial on fitting an entirely separate part which has nothing to do with his crappy plates.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wanted to send them back. I didn’t want to send them back for more jacked up replacements and I sure as hell didn’t want to send them back with my slide for him to screw that up. Never have I heard of a company that won’t allow a return for a refund on a defective product.

Had he said “here’s a return label” (like his website says they’ll issue for defective items) “we’ll refund you when we get them back” nobody would have ever heard about it. Instead his response was “kick rocks” and he based his denial on fitting an entirely separate part which has nothing to do with his crappy plates.
View Quote

I get that but the text you sent said you modified the plate (I know you said it was the sights you filed but that is not how it read).

Here is my advise whether you like it or not so you can quickly move on with your life and enjoy the bobro mount. Be the bigger man in this situation even if you have to apologize (as in “sorry to start this on the wrong foot.... I think there is a misunderstanding about what was filed as in the sights and not the plate”) and in a nice tone send your findings of the measurements you did with the RMRs on the plates. Leave out the harbor freight thing, just stick to the important facts, leave out the beaver comment, focus on that the machining of the recoil bosses being too big and the space of them from the ledge being too short and you don’t want to risk damage to them and void the warranty. Even being nice now will go a long way even if Buck wants to double down and then ship the plates back with proof and contact your credit card company for a refund if it goes sour after you be nice. Being nice is more to cover your own ass in the event the credit card company wants proof of communication you will know you did everything you could to do things the right way and them there will be no question to the credit card company.

This last part is not directed at you so please don’t take it this way, it is more of an example: Customers are not always right, and a business can refuse  a customer if they are being abusive or harassing the business or if the business feels fraud is at play.

Don’t be that guy, let Buck be the asshole. If you exhausted niceness then take it to the credit card company (this is why everything gets paid with a credit card).

Again, this is coming from someone who read the texts you sent that you posted and my first thought was “I would have worded that differently and taken it down several notches.”

Good luck, I hope things work out for you and you waste as little time on this issue and spend more time enjoying your Sig.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I will not apologize to a company who sold me trash and told me to kick rocks when I wanted my money back. You can stick to your play on words story because I’m not going to convince you, but they knew exactly what they were looking at when I sent the initial message based on the pics.

Link Posted: 9/24/2020 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I will not apologize to a company who sold me trash and told me to kick rocks when I wanted my money back. You can stick to your play on words story because I’m not going to convince you, but they knew exactly what they were looking at when I sent the initial message based on the pics.

View Quote

Ok that is your choice but then quit bitching about it if you are not doing anything productive to return them and instead just continue to talk shit..

And it is not play on words, a lot of people here and on snipershide who read the texts you sent and no where in the texts (specifically the beginning) did you say that it was the sights that you filed... Many people have stated this to you and you chose to ignore it and double down.

And I am now dipping out of this discussion. Good luck, do yourself a favor and don’t waste anymore of your time dwelling on a situation you are partially responsible for turning sour, for your own sake.

I do hope you post pics of the new Bobro plate on your M18 with the RMR installed and let us know how they turn out. Take care.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 3:37:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/457660/7EE561E0-3D5E-4038-AC43-1A41B2CB1E65_jpe-1601999.JPG

CHPWS plate which you can get with a dovetail or a built in sight like the Bobro:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/457660/DAD32F13-2F11-4316-ACDE-625387001D22_jpe-1602004.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/457660/7EE561E0-3D5E-4038-AC43-1A41B2CB1E65_jpe-1601999.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/457660/DAD32F13-2F11-4316-ACDE-625387001D22_jpe-1602004.JPG

Those rear bosses are there so you can use the factory RMR screws. The Bobro mount comes with diffrent screws. The front bosses are enough to take the recoil. The mount itself fits into a groove where the sig top plate goes. Once everything is in place it is very solid. I have around 3,400 rounds though mine, using two diffrent RMRs with no issue. I went with the non-LCI version to delete the LCI off my M18.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 4:45:38 AM EDT
[#29]
that look's like cheap metal and machining that you would expect from Chinese junk
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Bobro looks like the better option!

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.  

FYI Holosun's specs aren't held as close as Trijicon's.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Great sales ad for bobro, just ordered a plate.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I got home from trading a guy a G19 for another M17 with a DPP and the Bobro plates I had ordered were waiting on the porch for me.

These things are NICE. The machining is absolutely flawless as well as the fitment. It’s almost like they “clip” down into the slide cut, there is ZERO movement unlike the CHPWS turds that slap all around. I guarantee that I could shoot it without the screws in and the plate and optic would stay on the gun.

Not only was it actually able to mount to the gun, the screws fit their threads and the RMR fit on the plate too. Imagine that!

Bobro also includes their own sealing plate too so you don’t need to order them. I thought that was a very nice touch.

Wish I had ordered these from the start. Thanks Bobro!

Link Posted: 9/30/2020 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Update from me too.  Bobro Mount came in today.  If you are on the fence or holding out hope for CHPWS, I highly recommend you look at/consider Bobro.
Pictures pretty much speak for themselves at this point.  

Bottom of the plate picture with screws is using the 2 short screws that came with the Holosun for mounting.  Notice they are almost perfectly flush.

Link Posted: 10/1/2020 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#35]
That plate doesn't come sans rear sights though does it?
I've got the pro slide, so don't need built in rear sight.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That plate doesn't come sans rear sights though does it?
I've got the pro slide, so don't need built in rear sight.
View Quote

Nope, the Bobro plate sight is built in.  If you do not want a rear sight, Spring Precision has a great plate flat top.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I got home from trading a guy a G19 for another M17 with a DPP and the Bobro plates I had ordered were waiting on the porch for me.

These things are NICE. The machining is absolutely flawless as well as the fitment. It’s almost like they “clip” down into the slide cut, there is ZERO movement unlike the CHPWS turds that slap all around. I guarantee that I could shoot it without the screws in and the plate and optic would stay on the gun.

Not only was it actually able to mount to the gun, the screws fit their threads and the RMR fit on the plate too. Imagine that!

Bobro also includes their own sealing plate too so you don’t need to order them. I thought that was a very nice touch.

Wish I had ordered these from the start. Thanks Bobro!

https://i.imgur.com/RZla18s.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/V6Gcx3M.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/c6KUlbY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/g2TMocm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IUQezmi.jpg

View Quote

hiih8, what front sights and heights are you running with the BROBRO plates? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

hiih8, what front sights and heights are you running with the BROBRO plates? Thanks
View Quote

The ones in the pics are standard Dawson .375" height P series sights. I've got two Dawson tritium fronts on order too, they said those should be about 2-3 weeks total and I'm a little over a week into the wait for those. .375 height was what Bobro recommended as being the perfect height but said I could use up to about .400.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#39]
hiih8, thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#40]
my plate from CHPWS had much better machining, but the rear sight also purchased from them was a total PITA to install.

How different is the Sig vs Glock dovetail and did you ever confirm that perhaps you got the wrong sight in the bag?

I confirmed with CHPWS I had the correct right rear sight (at least based on the packaging for the sight) for the plate before I continued the install.  I aggressively stoned the rear sight but never used a file.  I got it started by hand and tapping against the work bench.  Then used my cheap generic sight pushed to put it on, it was tight and at the upper end of force I was comfortable with.  I honestly thought about taking it off to stone it some more but continued since it was already halfway where I wanted it.  Ended up putting a dent on the rear sight from the pusher which I have never had happen before.

Looked like the dovetails matched but didn't spend a ton of time analyzing it, just kinda assumed they would.  I think it was just oversized as I got it on without filing...  Wish I had seen this thread before installing as I would have studied it closer.

Thought about the Bobro, but the CHPWS puts the optic sight lower.

Other issue, I had two holosuns less than 6k serial number apart.  Pretty sure one would not go on regardless of what I did.  The other was close and I ended up stoning the back side of the front lugs and got it to fit with just mild tapping.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
my plate from CHPWS had much better machining, but the rear sight also purchased from them was a total PITA to install.

How different is the Sig vs Glock dovetail and did you ever confirm that perhaps you got the wrong sight in the bag?

I confirmed with CHPWS I had the correct right rear sight (at least based on the packaging for the sight) for the plate before I continued the install.  I aggressively stoned the rear sight but never used a file.  I got it started by hand and tapping against the work bench.  Then used my cheap generic sight pushed to put it on, it was tight and at the upper end of force I was comfortable with.  I honestly thought about taking it off to stone it some more but continued since it was already halfway where I wanted it.  Ended up putting a dent on the rear sight from the pusher which I have never had happen before.

Looked like the dovetails matched but didn't spend a ton of time analyzing it, just kinda assumed they would.  I think it was just oversized as I got it on without filing...  Wish I had seen this thread before installing as I would have studied it closer.

Thought about the Bobro, but the CHPWS puts the optic sight lower.

Other issue, I had two holosuns less than 6k serial number apart.  Pretty sure one would not go on regardless of what I did.  The other was close and I ended up stoning the back side of the front lugs and got it to fit with just mild tapping.
View Quote

I got the correct rear sight in one sense, but the incorrect rear sight at the same time. The website for the plate says its cut for a glock rear sights (which is clearly was), but their page for the sight set they sell to be used with the plate clearly says they're Sig sights front and rear in the set and was one of the things I called and asked about before purchasing because I noticed the discrepancy. I was assured the sight set was correct for the plate even though it clearly wasn't, then I was called a liar and was told that's not what I was told when I called (it was)... but they shipped me the sights anyway. So it's kinda funny that they also told you that you had the correct rear sight too.

As to the differences, they aren't too far off in the width of the dovetail but the dovetail is more angled on the Glock which is why the Sig sight was able to be filed and reprofiled to fit the glock taper. My guess is that they did this because they were either too lazy to swap out the tooling in the CNC or too cheap to buy and stock the other cutter, or both. Probably both. It makes NO sense to cut a plate for a Sig for Glock sights when sights come in sets.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#42]
As another update, my Dawson tritium front sights came in yesterday and installation was a breeze on those. The guns are done aside from waiting for my second Wilson grip module to come in. Still no update as to the charge dispute for the jacked up plates. I'll update again when that comes back. I'm very happy with the Bobro plates though, wish I had gone that route from the start. IMO it's a better designed plate. Yes it's a little thicker but it's minimal and that added thickness means more thread engagement on those little tiny screws.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
As another update, my Dawson tritium front sights came in yesterday and installation was a breeze on those. The guns are done aside from waiting for my second Wilson grip module to come in. Still no update as to the charge dispute for the jacked up plates. I'll update again when that comes back. I'm very happy with the Bobro plates though, wish I had gone that route from the start. IMO it's a better designed plate. Yes it's a little thicker but it's minimal and that added thickness means more thread engagement on those little tiny screws.
View Quote

Bobro makes quality stuff.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

What did you use to remove the front sight?  I have two to replace and the only one I've tried (M17) is not moving.  I was using a cheaper sight pusher and went ahead and bought the MGW Sight Pro and 320 shoe.  Still waiting on my front sights.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What did you use to remove the front sight?  I have two to replace and the only one I've tried (M17) is not moving.  I was using a cheaper sight pusher and went ahead and bought the MGW Sight Pro and 320 shoe.  Still waiting on my front sights.
View Quote

I just put them in a vise with soft jaws and drifted them out right to left with a brass punch.

I’m not a fan of the pushers, they make people think you can just push any sight in and don’t need to fit them and a lot of times you end up breaking stuff doing that. Just drift them out, fit the new ones, and drift them in. I’m sure Dawson or someone that knows what they’re doing has a video on YouTube showing how to fit sights.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 1:30:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I just put them in a vise with soft jaws and drifted them out right to left with a brass punch.

I’m not a fan of the pushers, they make people think you can just push any sight in and don’t need to fit them and a lot of times you end up breaking stuff doing that. Just drift them out, fit the new ones, and drift them in. I’m sure Dawson or someone that knows what they’re doing has a video on YouTube showing how to fit sights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen so many people break sights or gouge their slide trying to use a sight pusher without fitting the sights. Some sights require a good bit of fitting it seems, more than others. Dawson makes great sights but you really need to fit them before trying to install them. I use a brass punch and hammer. Once things are fitted it takes a minute at most to get them drifted in place.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 6:39:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Yeah, I understand how to get them to fit for the most part, just take your time with a file or stone.  But these damn things are stuck.  You know when you're either pushing with the pusher or hitting with the punch and you think, 'Damn, I'm about to mess something up", that's where I'm at.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 7:23:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Give it a solid wack.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yeah, I understand how to get them to fit for the most part, just take your time with a file or stone.  But these damn things are stuck.  You know when you're either pushing with the pusher or hitting with the punch and you think, 'Damn, I'm about to mess something up", that's where I'm at.
View Quote

chuck it up in a couple planks in the vise...  holding it rigidly against something that doesn't give will make a big difference.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for the tips.  I have two to do, my M17 and M18, and I'm going to try to tackle them over the weekend.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top