Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2012 9:26:32 PM EDT
I had some thoughts about a build last year with the issue of too much money to do a frame up build and possibly mess up $700 or $800 worth of stuff. I considered a new RIA but decided to wait for a deal on a used one. I found one this week. A Commander 9mm that's been bobtailed and fitted with a Caspian slide. My EDC is a DW CBob in .45 so this is what I was looking for. The smithing is pretty good but the finish is crap. It looks like it had a pretty high round count before the Caspian slide was fit and also some holster wear. I've had my CBob down to the frame several times but I couldn't bring myself to do anything more than cosmetic.

I shot it and it had some extraction issues and feed issues as well as some other problems like the front sight falling off. I took it down to the frame and found some rust on the frame, grip safety and leaf spring.

I fixed the extractor and got it running reliably with a good cleaning and some polishing.

I tore it apart again and started doing some cosmetic stuff like sanding the cheezy checkering and laquer off the cocobolo grips which I will just oil.

I started sanding and prepping for Aluma hyde 2 finish. When I'm done I will be into it for less than $400. I'll start replacing parts as I get to it and feel the need.

I'll post post pics here as soon as I have time to figure out how.  Until then you can see pics at

http://www.fixedsighttraining.com/projects.html

I would welcome any feedback or suggestions

Thanks

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top