Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 12:27:32 PM EDT
I have Rock Island Armory M1911 compact (Officer's ACP size).  Since I bought it last year it has always been a little flaky on extraction.  

I took it to the range yesterday and it was failing to extract on about every third round.  The case stayed in the chamber, pulled maybe halfway out, and the next round was pushed up against the bottom of the unextracted case, making it hard to eject the magazine without some fiddling.

I'd like to cure this problem, since obviously I can't trust this pistol with my life.  Seems to me the extractor is either poorly shaped and slides off the cases, or the extractor spring may be too weak.  

Can anyone recommend a good extractor/spring combo that will work well with this pistol?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the extractor doesn't have proper tension.  

There's a document explaining how to adjust it at this site:  www.m1911.org/full_technic.htm

There might also be a burr in the chamber, but that's easy enough to check.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:16:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool, thanks guys.

I'll adjust the tension and try it again...if that doesn't fix it, I'll replace the extractor.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top