Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 1:04:12 PM EDT
So I think I'm ready for my first 1911.

Looking at the springfield website, I really like the GI .45.
What makes the HI-cap accempt more rounds?
Any range reports on these guns? Are these things a good buy, or should I invest my money in a different 1911?
All input is welcome!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
In order to make the "Hi-Cap" hold more rounds, the magazines are doubled stacked, similar to a typical 9mm or .40 S&W. This also increases grip width.

As for a standard G.I. model it is very popular amoung entry level shooters and those who want a no frills .45 ACP 1911. The only problem that it might have is that the sights are really bad, they are not white dot but just a notch and post. There has been alot written about the GI model a qucik search willl yield alot of results. Check out www.1911forum.com

ETA
Check this review out;
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=24770
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#2]
The GIs are a great entry level 1911.
About the only decent looking reliable 1911 for under $500.

If you have "young" eyes - the sight will work just fine for you
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Not to hijack.

How hard is it to replace them?

the sights that is, sorry.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#4]
+1

Quoted:
Not to hijack.

How hard is it to replace them?

the sights that is, sorry.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like WILSON COMBAT can notch the front site dovetail cut for $25bux (labor only) and then ya can buy the sites and have them install them at extra costs, etc.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Looks like WILSON COMBAT can notch the front site dovetail cut for $25bux (labor only) and then ya can buy the sites and have them install them at extra costs, etc.

that doesn't sound too terribly bad. thanks Die-tryin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top