Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 8:15:50 AM EDT
My local gun shop has one of the Argentine Hi Powers for 325.00.  From checking on GunsAmerica, this seems to be a fair price (this guy's prices are usually good).  The pistol looks like one of the Arsenal refinshed/rebuild ones and is 100%/refinished condition.

I have never owned a Hi Power but I've always like the feel of them.  I have smaller hands and find a BIG difference between the feel of the Hi Power and most of the hi-cap 9mm's like 92FS.  For me, the Hi Power fits perfect and seems to be a "natural pointer."

My questions are, are the Argentine versions exact copies of the Hi Power?   Do all parts interchange, esp mags and grips?  If I buy this, I would be buying new grips and extra mags asap.   How about other parts?

Are the Argentines good versions of the Hi Power?  Accurate, reliable, etc?  Is this one priced right?

Thanks to anyone who can help!  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the info, guys!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Mags will fit, some other internals will but I can't say for certain which ones will/will not. Accuracy will be decent, not as good as a "real" HP but then you're not paying $700 for it, either. The price you quoted is normal as long as the barrel is in good shape & the gun hasn't been monkeyed with. I would suggest having other folks look at the gun, if you can? Check firmness of the barrel hood when the slide is forward, feel the trigger for any "slop/slap" that would maybe indicate a kitchen table top "trigger job" by a former owner.

As long as the barrel hasn't been shot bare, these guns are generally pretty nice little shooters. Were I to buy one, I would slap a recoil spring in there most ricky-tick. There's no way of knowing how old the spring is that's in the gun. At $10 or so for a new spring, it's cheap insurance & will ensure the gun runs (cycles) at the correct speed. This will help feeding, which leads to suggesting a new, fresh mag is a good idea as well.

New hi-caps for a HP can be had for $20-25 for decent quality. I would pass on the cheaper, generic mags.

You are correct about the "feel" of a HP! It was, at one time, THE most issued sidearm by the world's military for years. Only until the 1980s did it lose that distinction, IIRC?

Seems like the Argentine models were both single & double actions? Which one is yours?

My HP is a Browning Practical model I bought used. One of the few guns that looks as perfect as it feels, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:49:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input!

This pistol (I think) is being sold as new/arsenal reconditioned...I don't think it has been owned since factory rebuild and refinish in Argentina.  The finish looks really nice.

I didn't check for slop.  I'll check the tolerances on it, and I think it sounds like a solid idea to change out the spring if I do buy it.

I think I'll go for it...even if I don't keep it, I think I have to own a hi-power at least once so that I satisfy the "urge"!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:08:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah Dude,

If it looks good, I'ed definately get it. I picked up one about 4 months ago, put a Wolff 18.5lb in it. It works good, but the springs a bit stiff for Remington UMC, but PMC bronze works fine. I don't even really care for 9mms, but, I didn't have a hi-power, and for the price, you can't turn them down.

Like I said, new 18.5lb spring, and some new mags when I come across a good deal. Another thing to consider is removined the magazine disconnect safety. Which is easy to do and, in my opinion, makes the pistol more practical and user friendly.

Realistically accurate, and low recoil. I dunno about all the tupperwear fans, but, I LIKE a heavy all steel pistol, let's me know it's there. The balance seems nice, especially with a full mag, and the weight works well to my advantage in rapid fire, follow up shots, and double tapping.

All around, if you want it, there it is, go and get it... but you better hurry cause it may not last.

-Teflon
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#5]
$ 325 isn't bad but..... Take it apart and check either the inside frame edge or the under side of the slide. Many of the Military/Ex-Policia  Argentine HP's sold as " Arsenal " refinished a few years ago ( esp by Century & SOG ) are actually shodily refinished by some Billy Bob outfit in Florida and so marked on the inside. These Hack Jobs were going for $ 200-240 back then...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you talking about the FM Hi Power? If so I have had one for years, paid 259??? or some such price. I have shot the absolute crap out of this pistol with a lot of surplus [corrosive and not] ammo and except for the rear sight loosening up once and falling out. [shooting close in drills so I did not notice] it has been a damn good pistol except that the trigger sucks ass still. Grauchy still, after thousands of rounds. Amazed that it still runs good after never doing anything but cleaning it. I've shot a lot of NATO spec thru it and tho it's supposed to be hard on them I can't see any accelerated wear anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#7]
The FMAP HI-POWER is not a cheap knock off, Argentina paid FN for a license to build them.  I have owned several, and they all shot like a dream, and ate everything without a hick up, including hollow points.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I went ahead and put the pistol on layaway today...will pick it up after xmas.

I asked the dealer some questions about the pistol first.  It is a Sarco import, is new-- not rebuilt.  The finish is baked on and looks like it will hold up well.  It is single action and comes with one 10 rd mag.  It accepts regular 13 rd browning mags.

I'm excited about getting it out to the range since I've never fired a hi-power before!

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, let me be the first...

Congratulations

Sounds like you got a decent deal, I love mine.

-and I don't even like 9mms...

-Teflon
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I would agree with all the replies here.....BUT.....I've owned some of the HP clones and it is "NOT "a true HP.  I've owned two Hungarian clones and an Argentine one and ended up trading them for a Real   " Made in Belgium-Assembled in Portugal" HP and there is a definite quality difference!
I am not trying to talk you out of this purchase because I know that a budget has to be maintained but I would suggest buying a used Belgium HP from CDNN instead of any copy. They are one of the FINEST handguns in the world.

Edited to say ... Congrats on your purchase.  I hope you like it and I hope it gives you tons of shooting enjoyment.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes the Hungarian look alike is not a Hi-Power, but like I said before, the FMAP pistols are REAL Hi-Power pistols and are even marked as such.  Argentina paid FN for the right to make them, and use the name.  But I do agree that the Belgian ones are purdier to look at then the Argies.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I think I'll be happy with this pistol but I may trade it in one day on a Belgian Hi-Power some day.  We'll see.  

To get really good quality mags, do I need to buy Browning brand or is there a maker that makes GOOD mags for a better price.  I notice that Browning mags are about $40 apiece...ouch.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, I think I'll be happy with this pistol but I may trade it in one day on a Belgian Hi-Power some day.  We'll see.  

To get really good quality mags, do I need to buy Browning brand or is there a maker that makes GOOD mags for a better price.  I notice that Browning mags are about $40 apiece...ouch.

Yes.... Look for MecGar mags.  They are the maker of a lot of OEM mags. All Browning mags. are made by MecGar.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.... Look for MecGar mags.  They are the maker of a lot of OEM mags. All Browning mags. are made by MecGar.

Ditto, that is about all I used in mine.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a couple of genuine Browning mags, and it is stamped made in Italy, most likely by Italian based Mec-Gar.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I also like the Hi Power. Regarding the grip size I don't find the Hi Power grip to be any smaller than say a 45 but the Hi Power is noticeably lighter and slimmer up top.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Had one I had bought brand new,through the first 100 rnds the extractor wouldnt snap over the rim of the shell reliably with out a push on the back of the slide.After breaking in,it shot 100% with fmj ammo.Like the dumbass I am,I traded it towards another pistol(a colt mustand .380) and have regretted it.Pick it up,you wont be dissapointed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top