Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2003 9:19:57 AM EDT
Well, it's looking like Missouri has a pretty good shot at finally being a CCW state. So I've been thinking about my options.

Right now, I've only got a few handguns. And nothing extremely compact.

I'm realy liking my Kimber Pro Tac (basicaly a limited edition Pro Carry). It's got a barrel just under 4", but has a full size frame. At least I think it's full size. I know for sure that it is bigger than an officers frame anyway.

I figuring it would be fairly easy to conceal during colder months, but was wondering if I could pull it off in the summer with shorts and a t-shirt?

Has anybody else had any luck concealing a 1911 of this size?

And if so, could you recommend a good holster that would work well for this?

Any advice appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive been concealing a full size all steel Wilson Service Grade Protector with the Sparks Versa-Max II under a T-shirt quite easily.

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Any large framed auto can be carried IWB and concealed nicely as long as a belt is worn to keep it secure. Synthetic holster is best for corrosion control.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:51:01 AM EDT
[#3]
With an IWB and your shirt tucked in, the loops that hold the holster to your belt will be showing. Is this a concern to anyone? Couldn't someone recognize that it's a holster and then report a "man with a gun" to the cops in order to get someone in trouble?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:55:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
With an IWB and your shirt tucked in, the loops that hold the holster to your belt will be showing. Is this a concern to anyone? Couldn't someone recognize that it's a holster and then report a "man with a gun" to the cops in order to get someone in trouble?

With the exception of a few holsters specifically designed to do so, almost no IWB designs allow you to wear your shirt tucked in.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:14:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With the exception of a few holsters specifically designed to do so, almost no IWB designs allow you to wear your shirt tucked in.

Would it be a problem on the ones that do? I noticed that I havn't seen too many that allow for tucking in your shirt, but one that I was considering for my XD has that feature, and that's why I was wondering.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:26:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive never used that type of IWB holster.  I dont want to have to pull a shirt out of my waste line to get at my gun.  I just wear my t-shirts untucked. Not to mention, a loose shirt is going to hide a full size gun a lot more efficiently than one tight to your body.

Fashion suffers when you carry a real gun.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want the hide a 1911 all year ‘round get yourself a Sparks Summer Special or an Alessi/BCP GWH. I regularly conceal a full size 1911 under a tee shirt using either one of these IWB holsters.... mostly the Summer Special.

Summer Special

GWH

Get away from the mentality that one can’t carry a real gun once the weather turns hotter.... either if these holsters will easily accomplish that task. You may have to dress in a slightly different manner but an un-tucked tee shirt will hide a full size 1911 so long as you have good gear (see above). What you give up in fashion you gain back in being truly armed. Be sure you have an appropriate belt to support your gun and accessories.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been carrying my Kimber Pro Carry in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II for almost three years now. It's my go to holster. It conceals easily under an untucked tee shirt, polo shirt or a bowling type shirt. It's thin because the loops are out at the ends of the holster rather than right on top of the weapon. Mine his horsehide and still looks nearly new.

It came with clips to use as a shirt-tuckable holster, but like Lumpy said, any pistol will print easier under a tucked shirt.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:39:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It came with clips to use as a shirt-tuckable holster, but like Lumpy said, any pistol will print easier under a tucked shirt.

Holy Shit Jar, I forgot about those plastic clips, not that I plan on using them, but they're around here somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 2:27:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I've carried a 1911 of either Government or Commander size, all day, everyday, for the last 20+ years, mostly IWB. You should have no trouble hiding it if you dress reasonably. I usually wear a tucked in tee shirt with a untucked oxford type shirt over it in the summer. If you sweat in the least, forget the leather holsters, especially the rough out ones. They will get wet and stay wet and so will your gun. Kydex is your best bet, for both comfort and rust protection. Get yourself a good belt too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:33:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Would it be a problem on the ones that do? I noticed that I havn't seen too many that allow for tucking in your shirt, but one that I was considering for my XD has that feature, and that's why I was wondering.

The clips that come with the VM-II allow for tucking the shirt in. They replace the belt loops and they clip to the waistband of the pants, not the belt. When the belt is worn it hides the clips. I've carried that way a couple of times. I don't like it because
1) The clips are a pain to clip on the pants.
2) It prints unless you where sloppily oversized clothes.
3) The clips are a pain to clip on the pants.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:34:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The clips that come with the VM-II allow for tucking the shirt in. They replace the belt loops and they clip to the waistband of the pants, not the belt. When the belt is worn it hides the clips. I've carried that way a couple of times. I don't like it because
1) The clips are a pain to clip on the pants.
2) It prints unless you wear sloppily oversized clothes.
3) The clips are a pain to clip on the pants.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top