Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2009 4:02:27 PM EDT
I was in a shop yesterday and an older lady i her 60's brought in a clean beretta tomcat. Trades it in for 160$ the owner states this is 95%. Shop owner says I will only add 25$ to it to sell it. I thought not a bad price so I return today and he wants 240.00. WTF. Asked if he'd take 200$ Oh no can't do that someone else is interested. One I think this price is high and two kinda of shitty he lied to the lady about what he would turn around and sell it for. Am I wrong? Don't think I will return to the shop.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe he had to put parts in it to make it safe?....
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#2]
a couple of things
- its a business not a charity
- he may have done work he may not have - if he did he can set what ever price he wants, if he did not do any work he can still set what ever price he wants. - as in if you bought a bar of lead from someone to resell for 25 bucks extra then discovered it was actually a gold bar would you still sell it for just a 25 dollar profit?
- if he did tell the lady he was going to sell it for $X.00, just so she would sell it to him (ie lied to her) then its a dick move but nothing illegal - shop somewhere else.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#3]
No work to the gun at all but  cleaning. Lied to the lady.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the name of the shop?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
where are you from?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah he's kind of a dick.  Most of the shops here are pretty straightforward and will tell you right out that they will buy it for 60% of what they will sell it for.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Dutchess County... You?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#8]
That doesn't seem too far off from any other shop out there as far as profit margins go. They'll want to make as close to the same profit on a gun they bought for $80 just like one that came in at $500. He probably figures he'll never see her again, so he can feed her any line he wants to get her to sell low. Looks to me like standard business as usual.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
a couple of things

- he may have done work he may not have - if he did he can set what ever price he wants, if he did not do any work he can still set what ever price he wants. - as in if you bought a bar of lead from someone to resell for 25 bucks extra then discovered it was actually a gold bar would you still sell it for just a 25 dollar profit?

- if he did tell the lady he was going to sell it for $X.00, just so she would sell it to him (ie lied to her) then its a dick move but nothing illegal - shop somewhere else.  

+1
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That doesn't seem too far off from any other shop out there as far as profit margins go. They'll want to make as close to the same profit on a gun they bought for $80 just like one that came in at $500. He probably figures he'll never see her again, so he can feed her any line he wants to get her to sell low. Looks to me like standard business as usual.

Just because it's common doesn't mean it's a decent thing to do.  It's sad that our industry has these types of people in it.  All it does is give us all a bad name.  Well, I suppose that the places that aren't screwed up look stellar and have more loyal customers, but still.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with Unicorn, it IS shitty to do.  

It's not a shitty shop per se, the guy is somewhat unethical, but that's business.  They never give you a good value on "trade-in", they wouldn't make good money if they did.

Only slightly unethical because he told the lady he would only add 25 bucks to sell it.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes the ones that are as fair as possible do look stellar in fact. I'll agree that there are alot of shops out there that take advantage of people unfortunately and give the rest a bad name. I shouldn't look at unfair business practices as the norm I suppose and just write it off as commonplace...
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I was in what is supposed to be the best gun shop in Albuquerque.  I was looking at guns in the glass case and overheard a salesman filling out the paperwork after a sale to a very young couple with a baby.  He was going through a sales checklist.

- you know that you can't return the gun though we may choose to buy it back from you as a used weapon
- if you move to CA you will have to take the fired case to the local police dept..etc..
- We are not responsible for this and that and this other thing...
- You must keep the chamber under the hammer empty !!

This was a S&W 442.  Probably a really bad choice for this young couple since it's such a difficult handgun to master.  And it has a transfer bar.  Reducing the capacity from 5 to 4 is really bad.  Lying to these folks is unacceptable.  I asked the salesman why he said what was a complete untruth.  He shrugged and said the lawyers make them say that.  He could not have cared less.  

This large private shop will never get another cent from me.  The local big box chain Sportsmans Warehouse on the other hand has always shown integrity as far as I've seen.  Seems ironic to me though I'm not sure why.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I say out the rats and name Names.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#15]
YEP......  happens all the time....Im sure!
Quoted:
a couple of things

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just because it's common doesn't mean it's a decent thing to do.  It's sad that our industry has these types of people in it.  All it does is give us all a bad name.  Well, I suppose that the places that aren't screwed up look stellar and have more loyal customers, but still.

+1

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was in a shop yesterday and an older lady i her 60's brought in a clean beretta tomcat. Trades it in for 160$ the owner states this is 95%. Shop owner says I will only add 25$ to it to sell it. I thought not a bad price so I return today and he wants 240.00. WTF. Asked if he'd take 200$ Oh no can't do that someone else is interested. One I think this price is high and two kinda of shitty he lied to the lady about what he would turn around and sell it for. Am I wrong? Don't think I will return to the shop.

Grandma didn't have to take the deal she was offered by the gunshop owner, she could have gone to another store.  She left the store satisfied with the $160.00

Capitalism at work.

But  the  owner shouldn't have lied to her about his resale price, that was just unnecessary

In my opinion, liars aren't worth a damn.

And I seriously doubt anything was done to the pistol other than a 5 minute cleanup.

My 2 cents...
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

- if you move to CA you will have to take the fired case to the local police dept..etc..

Also a Lie.  They would have to fill out a DROS but that's it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I think he dropped the word on his selling price because he knew you were listening in.
He was hoping you would buy it and he would have sold it to you for that price at that point in time.

Moral of the story,,,,
You snooze, you lose.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#20]
If I overheard that, the place would never get any business or recommendation from me.

Moral of the story......you lie, you lose.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If I overheard that, the place would never get any business or recommendation from me.

Moral of the story......you lie, you lose.

Who EXACTLY did the gun dealer lie to????????
He said in front of the seller and in the presence of another party that he would sell the gun for $25+ cost at that point in time.
No one took the offer and the seller couldn't/shouldn't/wouldn't care less what he might realize in profit as she accepted the price he offered at that time for her pistol.
There is no unwritten rule that the dealer, or ANY seller for that matter, cannot decide to offer the product for a higher price at a later time if the initial offer is not accepted by any interested party when the offer is made.
Unless there was a signed paper contract there is no agreement to anything.

When at a LATER date, the gun was found to be marked higher and the dealer refused an offer because he felt he could realize a greater profit from the weapon that what was being offered.
This does not make a man a liar. The product belongs to him now and he can set any price at any time for the item.

Because the original poster feels the gun is priced higher now than he is willing to pay, DOES NOT make the dealer a liar.

I don't take calling anyone a liar lightly.
I would do it to the persons face and not post stories from the whine cellar on the internet.
You snooze, you lose.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
he lied to the lady about what he would turn around and sell it for.

He's a liar and it's bad business practice.

Most of the shops around here would have told the lady the truth which is: I'm going to mark it up $80, if I can't make that much it's not worth it to me because I have to do a bunch of paperwork, and it I buy this from you it will tie up inventory on an item that might well sit there for several months.

Here a gun shop has to hold on to a purchased gun for 15 days for the pawn report to come back before they can sell it, so that raises costs.  But I've seen shop owners tell sellers that as well.

Again, no need to lie to the old lady.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:11:03 AM EDT
[#23]
It not about snoozing and losing out on the gun. Actually found a ruger lcp for 305 new from a good shop when this guy had one sitting on the shelf. Its the fact he lied to an older lady. "I will only add 25$ to the price. I am actually happy he didn't take my offer. He DID lie, I don't just place liar on just anyone as I don't take it lightly as well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top