Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 3:00:44 PM EDT
I picked up a Wilson Bullet Proof slide stop to replace the MIM factory part on my Kimber Compact. As is, it works perfectly with Wilson mags, but the few split metal follower mags I have don't engage the stop.

Other than the obvious solution to just use Wilson mags, is this fixable?

No, I have not filed on a slide stop before, as I've had no need.

I also replaced the MIM firing pin stop with a Wilson BP 70 series unit. I was a little disappointed that it dropped right in-and was a little loose. Can't exactly fit that part;(

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not recommend that you file on the slide stop. Use the Wilson mags. If the firing pin stop is a loose fit in the slide then the slide is over sized. The FP stop is fine. You have issues with Kimber parts and production tolerances.

Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I know how you feel, brother.  I have a Springfield TRP and replaced the crappy MIM stock slide stop with an EGW slide stop.  Now, the EGW slide stop will engage and hold the slide open perfectly without fail on the 8rd wilson mags, but always fail to hold the slide open on the 7rd wilson mags because the follower design on the 7rd mags is different and the EGW slide stop does not have enough "shelf" area to engage the 7rd Wilson mags.  So, I put the stock MIM springfield slide stop back in and it locks the slide back on empty reliably with both Wilson 8 and 7rd mags!!  I guess I am going to have to buy a Wilson BP slidestop to insure that it locks back reliably with both without using the MIM Springfield slide stop.  The differences in part tolerances, design, and allowances in all the 1911 parts out there drives me crazy.  I am not a professional gunsmith, but I am a machinist and I find the differences in design in available replacement parts, even those from manufactures that are good quality, totally unacceptable!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would not recommend that you file on the slide stop. Use the Wilson mags. If the firing pin stop is a loose fit in the slide then the slide is over sized. The FP is fine. You have issues with Kimber parts and production tolerances.

Charles the Gunsmith.  

So you are saying I should re-title my thread "^%#$#@ Kimber"? I must admit that thought crossed my mind

JSIG, I also have a TRP with some MIM. That's just a tad annoying. I have not replaced any parts on the TRP yet although I did order a blued Wilson BP FP stop for it in my last order. A slide stop was on the agenda for it, but now I'm hesitant. Hate to have another thread titled "%^$%$ Springfield!"

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would not recommend that you file on the slide stop. Use the Wilson mags. If the firing pin stop is a loose fit in the slide then the slide is over sized. The FP is fine. You have issues with Kimber parts and production tolerances.

Charles the Gunsmith.  

So you are saying I should re-title my thread "^%#$#@ Kimber"? I must admit that thought crossed my mind

JSIG, I also have a TRP with some MIM. That's just a tad annoying. I have not replaced any parts on the TRP yet although I did order a blued Wilson BP FP stop for it in my last order. A slide stop was on the agenda for it, but now I'm hesitant. Hate to have another thread titled "%^$%$ Springfield!"

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

Sp10, I would go ahead with the Wilson BP slide stop on your TRP.  I am betting it will work fine woth any Wilson mags you have.  If not, Wilson customer service is excellent ( I mean absolutely outstanding) and I know they will refund you on the slide stop if you will just mail it back to them.  In that way, you really cant lose.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Two suggestions:

1. Try EGW  (Evolution Gunworks) for parts.
    egw-guns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34_41&products_id=36

2. Don't buy any more "Mimbers"
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#6]
AKsRule, I really like your reference to 'Mimbers'. Very good.

Charles.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:33:46 AM EDT
[#7]
"2. Don't buy any more "Mimbers" "

This has been my plan for all EE Mimbers, and since the complaints for them have significantly increased the past few years.

Heh, I've had the Mimber Compact since 1998-before I was aware of what MIM was and its use on 1911s. Its actually been an accurate, reliable pistol once I canned the 2 mags that came  with it. I've only replaced the extractor and plastic MSH with an Ed Brown Wedge MSH prior to yesterday's experience.

I may just give Wilson a call and see what they say on the part.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:36:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sp10, I would go ahead with the Wilson BP slide stop on your TRP.  I am betting it will work fine woth any Wilson mags you have.  If not, Wilson customer service is excellent ( I mean absolutely outstanding) and I know they will refund you on the slide stop if you will just mail it back to them.  In that way, you really cant lose.

While I have a lot of Wilson mags, I also have McCormick powermags and misc Colt/USGI mags in inventory for range mags. I have little interest in a 1911 that won't function with ALL types of common mags-hence my annoyance with the Kimber/Wilson SS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top