Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2004 4:17:40 PM EDT
I posted this question on another board and I wanted to also get the expertise of the members here. I am by no means trying to be a bad ass, I just want to learn as much as I can and do the correct thing.

Are the original Black Talon ammo illegal to carry in your CCW? I know that they are not manufactured anymore but if you have some from before they were removed from the market how would that be judged if you were to ever be involoved in a shooting using them?

Also, what about having them in your handgun at home? If you shoot a BG in your home with these would you be in trouble for using them? I live in TX so I would imagine that it could vary from state to state but I am wondering if I need to purchase some different ammo for my handguns. Thanx for your responses.

Albert
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#1]
How old is this ammo? I cycle through my carry ammo about once a year for reliability sake and some do it more often then that. If it's more than a couple years old, I'd probably buy some new stuff.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Totally legal for carry.  Although I'll agree about the cycling of defense ammo.  Winchester Ranger T's are the new black talons without the teflon coating and are available to civvies(no matter what a un-informed dealer tells you).
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:13:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Ahhhhh..."Black Talon". Great marketing gimmick, really bad political move on WWs part, which many of us tried to tell them back then. They would have been much better off to have made the coating white and called it "White Lilly"...but they would not listen.

This stuff is getting old now for serious protection use, not to mention that it is no better than several of the newer loads readily available. Not worth the chance that some prosecutor could use it against you in an otherwise justifiable shooting. Get the SXT or the Gold Dot or something else and cycle it at least once a year...shoot this stuff up at the range or sell it to someone dumb enough to pay extra for it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:26:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Best thing to do is find out what your local PD uses. Carry that and if you ever find yourself in court, just say "if it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me"
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:37:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanx to all for your input. I went today to the gun show and pick up a 50 round box of Ranger SXT, 165 gr for my .40 and 230 gr for my .45. They were selling for $19 per box so that wasn't too bad for a box of 50.

I also got a box of Powrball for my .45 for carry at my deer lease for the wild hogs. Picked up a couple .40 cal 12 round mags for my SP2340 and some plinking rounds. Good show, lot's of toys there.  I know that even though the b talons aren't as big a deal as the media made them out to be the prosecuting attorney is just looking for a reason to hang us! Thanx again for the help, I really apprecaite it.  Take care.

Albert
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Use gold dots........They work, I know.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey thebloke, what is your experience with the Gold Dots?  If you wish you can email me at:

[email protected]

Thanx,
Albert
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#9]
i carry Gold Dot 185 grain 40 cal S&W in my duty and my off duty gun. very happy with that round.JMO

J
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top