Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/28/2003 5:57:52 AM EDT
I am thinking about purchasing a scope for my Competition model Ruger MkII. I believe that with a red-dot type your stance and sighting technique should be pretty much the same as normal but what about a conventional crosshair type scope? It seems with the much shorter eye relief you would have to bring the gun very close into the body to obtain a decent sight picture. That just seem like it would be a very awkward and uncomfortable shooting position. Could someone out there give me some pointers on proper scope useage with a handgun. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:01:55 AM EDT
FWIW, Leupold "Handgun/Pistol" scopes have "long-eye relief" and do not have to be held close, but in more common extended arm position.

Mounting and hold would not be that much different than using a red-dot type scope.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:11:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mr_wilson:
FWIW, Leupold "Handgun/Pistol" scopes have "long-eye relief" and do not have to be held close, but in more common extended arm position.

Mounting and hold would not be that much different than using a red-dot type scope.

Mike

Now that is exactly what I was looking and hoping for mr wilson. I have been looking at a lot of scope ads lately but I have not seen any specifically for handgun use. I could use some references also if anyone would like to provide any.
Thanks mr wilson.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:26:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/28/2003 6:31:03 AM EDT by mr_wilson]
All our (dad, uncle, self) pistol scopes are Leupolds, so here's a links to ones I know work and consider the best, in Handgun scopes.

www.leupold.com/products/products_highlights.asp Select "Handgun" from top box and then choose model.

They have several models to choose from.

Mike

PS - notice they don't have the 4X model that looks like the 2X20mm top choice, anymore, but ya might be able to find one at the "gunshow", seems the one I have on my old 44 Ruger is 4X, guess they discontinued them.
Top Top