Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/4/2005 2:17:44 PM EDT
I have a S&W 6906 and am looking to pick up several spare mags. Are the Mecgar mags any good? Someone told me that Mecgar makes the factory magazines for S&W, is this correct?
What other series of Smith mags will work in the 6906?

Thanks for the help

Smitty
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:30:23 PM EDT
Mec-Gar makes some OEM & gov't contract mags (most notably for Berettas & SIGs), but I've never heard that they make them for S&W. (Not saying it isn't so - just that I've owned S&W autos for years and never heard that.)

I have used Mec-Gar mags in "59-series" S&Ws without incident, but I've never personally used them in any of our "69-series" pistols.

Believe it or not (many won't), the Ram-Line extra-capacity mags (the ones with the "constant-force spring") for the 69-series S&Ws work very reliably in my experience - I have several and have used them quite a bit over the years in a 6946 and a pair of 469s (my wife's). Unfortunately, I believe they have been out of production for some time.

I wouldn't hesitate to try Mec-Gars in your S&W, even if it turns out they aren't OEM suppliers. In my experience, the S&W autos are a little more "forgiving" of aftermarket magazines than many other pistol designs (again, I've had/still have a bunch of them).
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:58:24 AM EDT
Smitty,

If you are still wondering, don't. MecGar makes some of the best magazines out there, and are the OEM manufacturer for most European gun makers. I use MecGars in my S&W 5903 and they work flawlessley (better, in fact, than the factory magazines). Buy 'em on-line at one of the distributors and save quite a bit over the S&W factory magazine prices.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:08:41 PM EDT
Thanks for the help fellas, I think I'll try a couple of the MecGars out.

Smitty
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:23:19 PM EDT
I also use those mags. I have a Daewoo 9mm that is similar and modeled after the S&W 5900 series I am told. I have used Daewoo mags, S&W5900 series mags, and MecGar and they all work great for me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:31:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:37:36 PM EDT
I know that they make the S&W 99 mag as well as the walther P99 mag I have used them in my sigs and and 1911 and they work fine
Top Top