Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/25/2012 11:04:13 AM EDT
First, I have read the Ammo FAQ and Exotic Ammo FAQ within, and I am pretty sure that MagSafe is bullshit, gimmicky ammo, but my CHL instructor remains convinced that it is the end-all, be-all. I was trying to find ballistic gelatin tests on this, and I came up with this:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/volume4/number3/article432.htm

I didn't really like their setup which lacks a decent control group and their bias seems to be with the Federal JHPs which they said penetrated "approximately 10 inches" throughout both blocks of gelatin (4+just under 5 = approx 10 ), while the MagSafe ammo pellets reach as far as 6.3 inches into the second block for a total of 10.3" of penetration. In Federal's defense, however, they mention that the "
hole produced in the rack of ribs by the HydraShok bullet was far more significant than any of the damage produced by the three MagSafe bullets." No data on diameter of said hole.

Now as I mentioned I'm not a fan of MagSafe, but I was wondering if anyone knows where a solid, repeatable, scientifically-sound test of this ammo is on the internet or elsewhere so that I may present it to my CHL instructor.

Link Posted: 12/25/2012 12:19:34 PM EDT
I would get a new instructor, or at least train with some other instructors. Everyone has an opinion, and they all can't be correct. You would be wise to go with what the majority of qualified instructors recommend. Hint: not MagSafe unless you're shooting static 80-lb anorexic zombies.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 6:20:05 PM EDT
Never had any experience with magsafe, but their website REEKS of snake oil salesman

You really can turn your .380 into .45 auto, but you have to pay for this kind of hand-crafted performance.

Elite forces are outfitted with MagSafe, from Navy SEALS...

Let your instructor use whatever he wants. Sounds like he bought in to some fancy-worded hype. Get something that stands to FBI standards, and move on.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 7:38:43 PM EDT
Magsafe is one of the early frangeable rounds and they are designed to under penetrate. The idea was if you missed thee bad guy they wouldn't go through a wall and kill someone on the other side. They weren't very deadly back then, and they haven't gotten more dangerous with time.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:41:20 AM EDT
I have 30 or so rounds in .40. They certainly feel hot. The G27 jumps out of my hand when I fire these. To their effectiveness, I'm not sure. I bought them because they were on a cheap sale locally. I would carry a standard SD JHP.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:29:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2012 12:37:16 AM EDT by BrassFetcher]
We found penetration on the 40S&W 84gr Defender to be too shallow as well:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/40S&W/40S&W

Each block that the gelatin sits on is 1" wide and each space is 1" wide, for scale. This is 20% gelatin, which is tougher than the 10% used for static gelatin testing.

If they made a few tweaks to the bullet, it would have considerably more potential.

John
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:53:58 AM EDT
Im sorry to say but it doent take much to become a instructor.

I had a so called instructor come and tell me I wouldnt be able to hit a 50y small bore rifle target with my pistol.

I was happy to prove him wrong. with 10rds on the target.
Top Top