Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2011 8:01:29 AM EDT
Does anyone carry a PPK?  Is the gun safe to carry cocked, or would I be better off de-cocking it?  Also, if I de-cock it, should I leave the safety on?  I figure it's a pretty heavy DA trigger pull but I wanted to check with others who carry one.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I always carried mine with the hammer down and the safety ON.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#2]
It's NOT SAFE to carry it cocked since there is no safety to lock it or other way to do it.

The Walther series was designed to be carried chamber loaded, hammer down, safety OFF, but can be carried with safety ON.
Due to the heavy DA trigger, you'd have to work pretty hard to have an accident discharge.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  I was pretty sure it needed to be carried hammer down, but I wasn't sure about the safety.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#4]
As noted above, the pistol was designed to be carried hammer down and safety off on a loaded chamber and in effect the safety functions only as a decocking lever.

Smith and Wesson however has 21rst century US attorneys and recommends it be carried with the safety on.  That's workable but the ergonomics are less than ideal and it is a bit awkward to flip the safety off.    The rationale is I think that it has a safety therefore the safety must be used - ignoring the fact that a DA pistol carried hammer down and safety off is no different than a DA revolver with no safety at all - and S&W makes those....

If you carry it with the "safety" on, you need to decock it, then move the safety/decock lever to "fire" to reset the trigger, then re-apply the "safety" .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top